Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

2017 Swimmy all out Xmas bash!!!

NFR 
17K views 248 replies 39 participants last post by  junkie 
#1 ·
I realize it is early. Normally the Fall decor will stay up until week of Thanksgiving but with the foot of snow that fell over the last week, I just can't wait anymore. That stuff has been taken down, put away until next year, and now making the transition to the most wonderful time of the year!!

Exterior lights/decor won't go up until week of Thanksgiving but I will slowly inroduce interior pieces over the next several weeks. Yesterday I changed out the dining table centerpiece. I just threw together some stuff I had lying around and will probably change again early to mid December.

I also started working on the front door wreaths.

I can't wait to see 'em lit up!

Who else is getting started?

See less See more
#92 ·
I think you need the same greenery around the windows that you have around your door to spread out the Christmas cheer on your beautiful big house. Maybe the two taller lighted trees can go on either side of your main window to the left of the door?

#96 ·
Me too! And I didn't have to dig that stuff out of storage/buy new stuff, put it all up, and I won't have to take it all down and put it away (a task often performed during freezing, inclement weather followed by multiple trips into a dusty attic.) . . .

I'm not a complete Scrooge, just a retired one; I "plumbed" my house for "One switch outdoor lighting displays" when the Kids were little. It was fun then (and a neighborhood competition of sorts on occasion.); now it would just be work. I'll drive around and look at decorations around town. We even have a neighborhood named "Christmas Tree Lane." Works for me, but I do still focus on "The Reason for the Season" . . .

#116 ·
Hahahaha! That mirrored wall throws everyone off when they first see that it's not the whole room! When i bought the place i looked through the window before i called the realtor and i thought the living room went way, way back and was YUGE! When i finally got inside and found out it was a mirrored wall I no longer wanted to buy it, but my friends talked me into it and i'm glad they did.

G
#121 ·
Me too! And I didn't have to dig that stuff out of storage/buy new stuff, put it all up, and I won't have to take it all down and put it away (a task often performed during freezing, inclement weather followed by multiple trips into a dusty attic.) . . .

I'm not a complete Scrooge, just a retired one; I "plumbed" my house for "One switch outdoor lighting displays" when the Kids were little. It was fun then (and a neighborhood competition of sorts on occasion.); now it would just be work. I'll drive around and look at decorations around town. We even have a neighborhood named "Christmas Tree Lane." Works for me, but I do still focus on "The Reason for the Season" . . .
Jim you are retired,what else have you got to do but hang Christmas decorations and shame all other neighbors for their lack of Christmas spirt.

#123 ·
Well, let's see there's: Eagerly anticipate the arrival of my new Grandson - Easton James, hang with my Kids, spoil my dog, tie the occasional fly or two, chase Pheasants (right knee permitting), continue to research & refine my selections for a new DSLR & other wildlife photography equipment, reload rifle & pistol ammo, go to the range, read photography technique guides & camera owner's manuals I have downloaded, cook/clean house/do laundry . . . hell, there aren't sufficient hours in the day as it is.

Agreed. Now show us your decorations.
Bah, humbug. I'll show you pics of my decorations right after I post pix of me in skinny jeans and rompers. Keep waiting - anticipation is a good thing . . .

#134 ·
Yesterday I picked up my 87 year old friend Chuck for our weekly Thursday excursion for our one beer (his doctor says he can have one beer a week) at the local pub. And while we talked a lot about Matt Lauer we also like talking about stuff from our past days where we were in the same YMCA circuit training class for years.

He lives on a street near mine where most houses are heavily decorated every season.....except for his. Many years ago i called him up and disguised my voice as an old lady named Agnes from the Homeowners Association. I left a voice mail that said the HOA would appreciate if he joined in with the festivities by putting up his decorations by December 10th. I added that the HOA would be assessing a fee of $10 per day for every day after December 10th that they weren't up. Then I left my real phone number.

But he didn't call after hearing the message as i thought. And i didn't think my old lady voice was THAT good and i was fairly sure he would call me laughing at my joke. But i didn't hear from him.

A week later i head out a Christmas party with our other YMCA friends and Chuck is already there. Right before i got there he was telling the story of this Agnes woman and how mad he was that she would be trying to assess him dues for not decorating! He believed me. We all got such a laugh out of it. And that year he went out and bought a fiber optic Christmas tree and put it in the window. Except i noticed last year he never put it up.

We were talking about that story yesterday at the pub when i told him i noticed he was again one of the only homes without decorations. So when i took him back home I went out in his garage and found his Christmas tree and set it up. I didn't think he would care that much, but he did. He was so pleased that he had to go outside to see how it looked in the window.

It was what you call A Christmas Moment. I don't expect to get in the full Christmas spirit like i used to as a child. But i look for those Christmas moments.

#149 ·
We were talking about that story yesterday at the pub when i told him i noticed he was again one of the only homes without decorations. So when i took him back home I went out in his garage and found his Christmas tree and set it up. I didn't think he would care that much, but he did. He was so pleased that he had to go outside to see how it looked in the window.
Way to go Jo! (based upon the Matt Liar thread you initiated, I was going to say "way to go girl!" but thought that might be misconstrued...... ) ;-) That was a very nice act on your part.

#135 ·
Here is what i'm working on today and probably tomorrow and the day after that too! One at a time! Hahaha, i just noticed the package kinda looks like it says "F*ck the Halls", which pretty much sums up my sentiment after three hours of doing this. One at a time! I have no idea why i challenge my slight OCD with this task but i do love how it looks when i'm done.
I'll post more photos later!
Christmas tree Christmas ornament Holiday ornament Interior design Ornament

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.