Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legitimate sale items...?

3K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  Gettn2 
#1 ·
From time to time I have wondered about the legitimacy of items up for sale on the board. From time to time, there are names I don't recognize, and descriptions that make me wonder if the seller is actually familiar with the sale item, as an owner might be. I have no problem purchasing a piece of equipment from an owner who wants to part with it. I have a big problem with the idea that I might be buying something someone else had "lost" and didn't know it was being sold.

Could one or more of you fine gentlemen please educate me as to what, if any, assurances a potential purchaser might be able to gain as to the legitimacy or legal source of the item being posted for sale?

Has anyone had any experience with stolen items being sold or purchased on the WFF board?

Thanks for your help on this.

#3 ·
Great post! I was surprised when I found that this forum did not have a "Feedback" section. Where members post positive remarks concerning purchases from other members. I know that it is a great asset to forums such as Archerytalk. Maybe someone should contact the moderator and have them open a feedback forum. When something is placed for sale we can search the feedback forum to see what positive responses have been posted about that member and previous transactions.

#26 ·
I'm curious if Citori has made online purchases before. Not looking to call him out in any way, I find majority of concern is with those that have not done it and addressed their questions. Questions are great and some fine answers. As with anything checking history and presence PLUS paying with a secure method I find key. Paypal's given me great leverage and given that I've never had to use that leverage against a seller. 400+ paypal transactions, 3/4 + business sales and many fun buys.

For Gettn2's post, of all the fishing forums (6+) I may look at time to time, none have a feedback feature. One has a minimum posting before the buysell can be used (nice touch I though). I have seen enough immature behaviour and poor decisions on resolving unsatisfctory transactions by others that feedback functions on forums do concern me. I figure public callout once it's damn clear of evil intent and mod's informed cover this easily enough and is how I've seen it previously.

If it's not linked to sales links is it valid ?? and as many here like to do, which I agree with and see on other boards - they delete FS threads when completed. Just some thoughts.

#5 ·
I've bought a couple of items from guys from the site. But before I bought, I checked out their bio's and reviewed a couple of their previous posts to check and see whether or not they were legit. Then I only bought locally where I could meet with the person and inspect the item before purchase. So far both transactions have been exactly what I needed and have worked out perfect for me.

This really can be a great place to get rid of equipment in order to raise a little cash so that you can upgrade. It can also be a great place for a relatively new guy (like myself) to pick up used equipment so that he/she can experiment around without someone from a fly shop breathing down your neck for a sale.

I personally have spent enough time on this site to where I feel comfortable buying from/selling to someone here rather than on either Craig's List or Ebay.

Christian

#6 ·
Good questions Ross and a good suggestion about having a feedback section. Maybe Chris is open to adding such a feature?

I've bought and sold items here ever since I joined and have NEVER had a transaction go south, nor have I ever sniffed a hint that one of the items I've bought might have been hot.

It's probably best to arrange transactions so that they are belly-to-belly - buyer and seller meet to examine the item in person and payment is made in cash on the spot. Sometimes that's not possible so I've also sent cash or a check for low-ticket items and trusted the seller to make good by sending the item on receipt. About half the time, the seller has actually mailed the item the same day I've put payment in the mail. No one has ever stiffed me.

I've sold a couple of big-ticket rods using the Classifieds. In both cases, I simply asked for payment via PayPal and built in enough overhead in the price to cover the 3% transaction fee. Again, both rods sold without a hitch and everyone left happy.

Sure I could get screwed sometime (and probably will) but so far everyone I've dealt with here has been up front and honorable.

K

#7 ·
It's probably best to arrange transactions so that they are belly-to-belly - buyer and seller meet to examine the item in person and payment is made in cash on the spot.

Sure I could get screwed sometime (and probably will) but so far everyone I've dealt with here has been up front and honorable.

K
iagree and you can get screwed on ebay too!

I have only heard of a couple complaints on this board over the years with regards to someone not fullfilling their obligation when a transaction was made. Personally everything I have done with selling and buying has gone silky smooth on this forum.

Things that might add to high risk transactions, out of staters with recent joined dates, only post for sale items on this forum, require a western union type payment and the old saying 'if it's to good to be true ad then ...'

I think for many of us here we update equipment, perhaps to often. We refine our personal tastes in equipment after years of buying and trying and end up not liking certain pieces of equipment or find something better fitted to our personal styles. Then some equipment sits and doesn't get used. Then you decide it would be better to sell this stuff then having it clutter up the garage and having the wife see it all the time (at least she wears all 112 pairs of her shoes at different times) So you sell it at a decent price and find it a good home where it can get back on the water. Now you have some gas money, someone has some good used equipment, and the gear is smiling again.

#8 ·
As some one who has bought a lot of used equipment on this and another Fly fishing board over the years I have been very lucky.
I did have some recent problems on another board where I paid for 2 rods that the seller kept claiming he had shipped. The seller was from South Idaho and I was ready to go pay a visit to him. I ordered the rods over 3 months before my Alaska trip and 2 weeks before the trip even after many phone calls from myself and other buyers who had bought from him who also had not received their goods, still none of us had any of the rods or fly lines. Lucky I had gotten the sellers name, street address and phone numbers which I gave to the other buyers and we all kept hounding the seller who had not delivered the goods. So needing rod for Halibut for my AK trip I called up ATF and ordered one they had in stock and had them ship it to me. two days before I ordered the rod from ATF the seller said he had lost control of the inventory he was selling and was returning all the money to those who had paid him for the different rods and lines. A few days later the rods showed up both the one from ATF and the two from the guy in ID. So I now have 4 12-wt rods Course it turned out I did not need the 12-wt for AK any ways since we never targeted Halibut and they went on the plan with me for nothing. But I am now geared up well to go target some Tuna with 3 virgin rods.
All my other reel and rods I have purchased have been as claimed and some even better then claimed. I have also bought feathers, books, hooks and many other items.
Still its always buyer beware. Always get a Street address to send the money to if not meeting in person. Do not send any checks or money orders to a PO box.

#9 ·
I've purchased two things from these classifieds and both went well. I payed with a check each time, once by mail and once in person; no problem. I haven't sold anything, but I did give away a bunch of books, and the person who wanted them sent me a check for the shipping; again no problem. I look for name recognition and figure that a transaction with an established member is unlikely to turn bad.

#10 ·
I just won't do transactions with guys with less than 5-10 posts and especially if they are out of state. Paypal may help in that area though.

I've bought and sold many items over the years on hear with only a few minor incidents. That last being some dude agreeing to a price and working out when and where to meet... and then jacking the price up on me at the last minute because he had another potential buyer. Not a big deal really, just classless and surprising...

#11 ·
I haven't had any problems purchasing items from folks posting in the WFF classifieds. I do, however, try to limit purchases to local folks, the exception being Henning, from whom I've had two stellar purchase events (no, I don't know him, other than through the classifieds). I've been stung a few times through ebay.

I've sold a number of items via the Classifieds, and the deadbeats (no-shows, or folks who cut a deal and you never hear from them, etc.) typically seem to be out of town folks, with the exception of one local guy who claims he was/is a firefighter (he received extra latitude from me because of his job, because I think firefighters, policepersons, and teachers do a great job for us and don't get as much respect as they deserve, but I digress . . . ), hold it for me, said a jillion times he was going to come by, etc., and over two weeks no-showed all the time. But I've found that's the exception; most everyone here has been very, very cool. :)

#12 ·
hold it for me, said a jillion times he was going to come by, etc., and over two weeks no-showed all the time. But I've found that's the exception; most everyone here has been very, very cool. :)
Sounds like me a couple years ago when you were selling an outboard dolly. Sorry.:thumb:

#14 ·
I've done a little business with guys on thee board. It worked out well for all parties. I think for me, one of the big things is that the other party be someone who posts on the board outside of the classifieds.
I've found WFF classifieds to be better than CL or other routes. People aren't trying to gouge you like they do on CL.
But, again, I stay away from people that seem to only post in the classifieds section.

#15 ·
it's all about trust. The transactions I have done on this Forum have been great - 100% satisfied. I've met some good people thru these Classifieds and hope it continues this way.
Thanks to this section, I have a great inventory of good quality gear.

thank you!

dp

#16 ·
I personally have never sold, and have had no negative buying experiences. My concern is the source of the sale items, and making sure they are not stolen property. If I were trying to turn fly fishing equipment into cash, I would make sure the sale went well...

I like the suggestion of a feedback option - both for buyers and sellers. Personally, I won't consider buying from someone who has been on the board a short time, and also require at least a phone conversation. Good comments, good suggestions. Thanks for your responses.

Chris, any thoughts about a feedback option?

#17 ·
Good thread! I was actually thinking the same thing but neglected to post for some reason. I suggest using a feedback site, similar to the feedback style eBay uses called Heatware. I use it mostly for my computer needs but have an alias I use on VwVortex. The good thing about the site is you're able to add your different aliases that you use on separate forums. That way it shows you're not hiding anything and are straightforward on who you are. My feedback: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=13753 Also, you have the ability to email the person through Heatware to see if the evaluations that they're posting are truly their own.

I wouldn't suggest the use of a feedback type forum as after a while the amount of users for feedback can get quite large and quite often people can find it difficult to find a particular user. If a feedback type forum was initiated I would suggest that one or two people have access to edit the first post with the username and good or bad eval to it. Unless Chris wants to take up the burden of doing so. That way if an evaluation needs to be posted and the original poster is offline for quite some time, another user can add the evaluation. However, I don't know if it's possible with vBulletin. I could most certainly start a thread of that nature. I know I'm really new here but i've been buying, selling, and trading online since 2000 and i'm either online here at home or at work. Thank god this site isn't blocked there :D

#18 ·
The problem with the feedback issue is that many of the people who sell things here don't sell on a regular basis. I am always suspicious of anyone with fewer than 10 posts who is selling. I've always wondered if the sellers should have to be regular posters, so that they are part of the community.

Wayne

#19 ·
Wayne,

The only problem with that is a user can come into the site just to portray that image of being a responsible and upstanding person but turn on an instant. From my experience i've seen users go from a 2000 post user to a thief instantly. I guess what i'm trying to say is that post count and community enrollment shouldn't depict ones true nature. I don't see anyone here being a "Troll" since fly fishing is definitley an acquired taste but the only way to really tell is by their past transactions.

On another site, it's usually customary for new users to send the item first without payment, kind of weird, I know, but if the buyer has a high feedback rating he/she won't be scared to send the goods first to a respected member with high feedback. It's different, but it works and has for many years on anandtech.com.

#20 ·
Ask for a copy of orginal reciept or paperwork. If it was very expensive and carried a lifetime warranty the orginal owner should have them. Talking to someone even on the phone can give you a feeling (good or bad) about someone, I seem to have good radar for flakes.

#21 ·
Testing two options. Reputation info which you can add to and an infractions option. One allows you to leave user notes others can view. The other is based on infractions which I'm not sure about all it's functionality yet.

Both options are now turned on, with the reputation icon being
and the infractions link icon being
located to the right on the user header info on their post.

I may not impliment either, but am testing. Go ahead and play away. I'll likely start another thread to take feedback.

Chris

#24 ·
I agree about having a feedback page. I am one of those out of staters, MICHIGAN. We have lots of salmon, steelhead and trout, so have a real need for the same items you guys do. I have purchased several items from members and have made a couple of good friends doing it. I don't have many postings as I use the site just for purchases, but really injoy reading the posts and for sale items. Don't automatically block us out because we are out of state or don't have alot of posts, Thanks !!!:thumb:

#29 ·
I just sold some reels here this week and I used my paypal account. It works well, you just go to paypal and send the purchaser an electronic bill via paypal's site. They go to paypal, pay the amount via any method they choose and then you ship the item once the payment has been verified by paypal. At least the buyer can know that you are verified by paypal and have the option to report to them if you try to screw them. Just a suggestion, maybe there are better ways as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.