Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead Nymphs

7K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
For those of you who don't have an objection to nymphing for steel... what are your go to flies? Looking to fill the boxes and I need some ideas!

#4 ·
depends on what run, what system, etc...start with glo-bugs, then branch out from there.

The secret words for the day are...(drumroll)...Hue, Contrast, and Silhouette.

Make sure your fly box has several different silhouettes, with different hues and contrast values. Take notes on which ones work in what conditions, and over time you will notice a pattern forming.

If you are just starting to nymph, do yourself a favor and learn to do it without the bobber...err, Indicator. Not saying they are bad, just limiting in quite a few situations.

IMHO and YMMV,
Mark

#5 ·
:thumb:Yup! read that one (a few times!!). Guess I'm on the right track. Just wondered if there were any 'secret' flies I was missing.

If you are just starting to nymph, do yourself a favor and learn to do it without the bobber...err, Indicator. Not saying they are bad, just limiting in quite a few situations.
Thanks Mark. So are you saying to 'tightline' or just 'swing' the nymphs?

#13 ·
Thanks Mark. So are you saying to 'tightline' or just 'swing' the nymphs?
Both will work, but learn the downstream "C" tip mend, then upstream with the rest of your line, and use the line as an indicator.

Mending to an indicator has its advantages occasionally, but the fixation on "surface" vs "whats actually going on below" is a big problem w/indicator fishing.

I'm gonna be in town (westside) for a few days around the 16th-18th...I will pm ya, mebbe we go hit an s-river and check it out.

#6 ·
You're really asking for it steelie:D

When I nymph on the eastside (Methow) I just use natural nymphs-like Prince nymphs and small stones for droppers. The difference however, is that they get spruced up with rubber legs and radioactive coloring (chartruese stones). The tool fly usually ends up being insignificant aside from weight and attraction. A yuk bug is a great steelhead tool fly.

My go to nymph on the west side was always a single egg pattern, my favorite being the calberro. (sp.)

#15 ·
You're really asking for it steelie:D

When I nymph on the eastside (Methow) I just use natural nymphs-like Prince nymphs and small stones for droppers. The difference however, is that they get spruced up with rubber legs and radioactive coloring (chartruese stones). The tool fly usually ends up being insignificant aside from weight and attraction. A yug bug is a great steelhead tool fly.

My go to nymph on the west side was always a single egg pattern, my favorite being the calberro. (sp.)
My jaw just dropped :). Adam said nymph and steelhead and that he does it. G Smolt hit it on the head and the examples Fred added I have used with success here in WA, OR and CA. Caballero eggs are also great swinging flies when tied on straight eyed hooks. Remember you do not always need an indicator to fish nymphs though. A dead drift presentation, swing and twitch can be deadly too.

#8 ·
I usually lead with a heavy kaufmans stone, cactus caddis, prince or girdle bug. Then follow up with a bead, glo bug (out of mcfly foam...that stuff is money) smaller cactus caddis, pt flashback, or one of many others. My new favorite lead fly though is an egg imitation that has heavy dumbell eyes and is wrapped in eztaz (sp?) that sparkly chenelle type material.
Peace out
skeels

#11 ·
http://www.umpqua.com/pc-709-37-bead-head-egg-gormans-barbless.aspx

Also referred to as the Gorman's calbero egg. Best single egg pattern I've ever used. I used to go through runs on the Hood with other egg patterns just as a experiment. I'd get nothing, then go through the same run, with the same presentation, with the Calbero and knock em' dead. Ironically, I've never had success with this pattern on the east-side:confused:

#12 ·
Here is one with a shuck because... I prefer a shuck...

beadhead
green antron wrap on the butt
some head hunter magnum yarn
then i use a lighter pink yarn for a "halo" or maribou for the shuck which is long enough to wrap around the egg and waft seductively in the turbulence behind the egg

#19 ·
Thanks guys. Good stuff. I started with the copper john's (w/ rubber legs) last night in several colors and sizes. Tonight I'll tackle some others. Jeremy, since your so dang quick with those eggs, maybe you could just tie me a couple dozen and send ‘em my way! ;)

Mark, would be stoked to get out and fish w/ you! Beers are on me. :beer1: Let me know what your schedule looks like when you get closer.

Thanks again!

#20 ·
What about some of the flies of old like the BURLAP and SILVER HILTON, or Bob Arnold's SPADE and the many variation of it? Or even the old WOOLY WORM? These are really nothing more than nymph type flies for steelhead, although I will grant that they were not tied with lead eyes, cone heads, beads, or turns of lead under the body. They were still nymph type flies that were designed and tied expressly for steelhead fishing on the swing.

#21 ·
so let's really add fuel to the fire.....

(as I am sure it has been discussed before) Do you guys throw nymphs with spey gear, and if so, what type of setup would one use...

I would think you could throw nymphs with tips and swing, but don't think that would be as effective as a dead-drift. I suppose a floating tip and weighted nymphs could work as well...

#24 ·
We use spey rods on the Methow when nymphing. Just like swinging, it's far more efficient with the two-hander. With a yarn indicator and double nymph a simple double spey and redirection gets the job done with a simple flick. You follow the same leader length standards you would with a single hander, but adapted to the dimension of your rod length. So.... when using a 12 footer, I would use a tapered leader form 8-10lbs 11-13 ft long.

#25 ·
I love nymphing with the spey. I usually used a balloon as an indicator because they are so light. Its also a great system because you can use less weight to get deep than with a single handed rod because longer drifts can give you more depth. Mending is also killer with this system, if you can get a hold of a long belly line things improve even further.

#28 ·
I'm a believer!!! I watched Matney just own some runs on the Hoh. He would cast way up stream and let that thing drift and drift and drift. Mending is so easy! I'm sold on my 8110 Sage switch rod with the indicator taper on it. I have used a Windcutter and it works pretty well.

#30 ·
Prince with rubber legs and an egg fly called crystal meth or sucker spawn and yarn indicator.

Just returned from Alaska fishing Anchor and Deep Creek for steelhead and did quite well with these patterns. Fished crystal meth for years on the Great Lakes streams for steelhead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.