Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Marabou Strung Blood Quills

6K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Ryan Buccola 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if Marabou Strung Blood Quills are better for palmering or if I should go with extra select marabou for this. I'll be using on hooks as large as 1/0.
Thanks-
mark

#4 ·
I just started using a dubbing loop. With the loop it doesn't matter how big the stem/quil is. I use two feathers at once on the loop. They look great, and I am tying them on a string----Moal Leech style.

#5 ·
Can you explain how you use a dubbing loop?

#9 ·
do a few twists with the dubbing loop tool. This locks them in a little better and allows me to be able to cut the stems off.

I then cut the stems off.

I then spin the hell out of the dubbing loop tool, then I just wrap.

Does that make sense? Maybe I should get some pics going, so you can see it a little better.

Justin

Edit.... Ok look at this tutorial, but envision Marabou instead of Rabbit....

http://flyfishnw.com/content/view/97/60/
How do you cut them with a few twists?

#10 ·
How do you cut them with a few twists?
Daryle,

I put the marabou in the loop with stems still attached and only one side of feathers on the quill. (remember I'm using two feathers at a time)

I twist the "LOOP" and not the marabou a few times. These twists in the loop hold the marabout in a little better while cutting. The twists are not necessar, but I do it.

Does that help?

#11 ·
Justin,
Kinda like this? Its a cross between a skagit minnow and the ultimate moal/roid you linked to

Regards,
John
John,

Looks good.

I put the feathers in so the longer onces are toward the bottom. When I put two feathers in, it creates a little more "body" on the first few wraps, keep wrapping then the longer feathers go over those. This creates a nice little vortex of small and larger fethered ends all undulating all over the place.

Justin

#13 ·
It might twist. You just twist it a few times before you cut it, so when you cut it, it will stay in your loop.

when you twist your dubbing loop tool a few times, you can do this with your right hand, and use your left hand to keep the feather from twisting.

OK, I gotta get my camera out.

#14 ·
This is a version of a buddy/guide's fly- The Metal Detector. Marty Sheppard is the originator. The hook hangs out at about the end of the bucktail.

step one- see no twist at base

step two-notice twists at base. See how I hold it with my left hand.

Step three--Cut--use your left hand and left finger to guide you along.

step four---Ahhh All spun and ready to wrap

Step five--All wrapped

Step six---OK, So I want the marabou to be smaller so it doesn't drown out the blue...So I put it real deep into the loop.

Step 7-Spun--Notice that thick chenille/bunny stuff in the middle. This is mixed with short and long stiff and soft pieces..Awesome stuff.

Step 8--Done

#17 ·
Jared, Thanks Man.... Glad I could show you something new. It is much easier than rabbit!

OK, now I see, was thinking the feather would twist all around, You just made a great toot for the dumb swede. Thanks,

Daryle
No Prob Daryle. Pictures make it so much easier to learn from..at least for me.

#18 ·
I like how those pictures demonstrate the different quality of marabou feathers you get on a string. The second piece (pink one) has a nice thin stem that I'd gladly just wrap, but the first piece (blue) has a useless thick stem that makes it a horrible feather to wrap. Your technique enables the use of a feather I'd otherwise discard to the bottom of the bag. Nice.

#25 ·
Another fly using the same technique(s)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.