Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead:Nymphing or Swinging

23K views 216 replies 91 participants last post by  clarkman 
#1 ·
I have noticed more people are fishing egg patterns on the river out of drift boats with a lot of lead to keep it down. They like it and think this is fly fishing. I think it is gear fishing with a fly rod. I have nothing against gear fishing but I can't believe these people think this is fly fishing and are proud of it. They lob there lead weight or slinkie 25 ft. praying they don't hit there rod and then drift with the boat. The reality of this is that the person rowing the boat is actually the one doing the fishing if he is not on the money reading water they won't touch a fish. I prefer to swing most of the time. If they want to fish like this why not get the gear rod out and do it right. I would rather go down swinging than catch a fish on the fly rod like this because that is exactly what there doing catching a fish on a fly rod not fly fishing! I'm curious how many people have observed this on the river and what your thoughts are on Lob fishing!:confused:

#76 ·
Why is it that when steelhead nymphing is brought up, folks automatically assume that indicators and heavy lead are used?

And why is it that when swinging is brought up, folks start to squeak about tradition and history?

Some folks jus' need to fish more, I guess.

For those that swing and bitch, here is one of your Deities chatting about fishing spoons on his two hander, among other things...Ed and Fishing.

Long rivers with many different types of water CANNOT BE COVERED IN THEIR ENTIRETY BY JUST ONE OR EVEN TWO METHODS.

Y'all need to just be happy there are fish to fish for, have fun catchin' them, and quit steppin' on each others dicks.

IMHO, and yes, YMMV,
Mark

#77 ·
For those that swing and bitch, here is one of your Deities chatting about fishing spoons on his two hander, among other things...Ed and Fishing.
I stand corrected :eek:

I guess fly fishing/gear fishing......no difference at all.

#78 ·
I agree with Ringlee. Be confident in your own endeavors, worry less about other people and what they're doing. Where does the bitterness come from? Think about that before attacking other people.

If they're having a good time, isn't that what it's about?

perhaps a little less time typing in the forum and more time trying to be more accepting.

Good times... no wonder fly fisherman are seen as elitist and snobby, because of people like McQ. give it a rest...

#79 ·
I agree with Ringlee. Be confident in your own endeavors, worry less about other people and what they're doing. Where does the bitterness come from? Think about that before attacking other people.

If they're having a good time, isn't that what it's about?

perhaps a little less time typing in the forum and more time trying to be more accepting.

Good times... no wonder fly fisherman are seen as elitist and snobby, because of people like McQ. give it a rest...
I agree but I have to bring up an irony about this stuff as I percieve it:

Isn't the fact that there are all these people that refuse to pick up anything but a fly rod to fish in and of itself elitist?

That is why I feel the guys casting gear on fly rods are the ones that are elitist, because they want to catch something on the fly rod and only on the fly rod for whatever gains the medium of the fly rod provides, whatever those may be. I base this statement on the common belief that fly fishing is a self imposed handicap.

I personally feel that if more fly junkies picked up a gear rod every now and than it would ease a lot of the tentions in our fishing community between gear guys and fly guys and serve as an eye opener for BOTH.

I suppose that is the underlying reason for my continuing the beating of the dead horse in this thread; I have met so many fly junkies with no experience using any other method other than fly rods. While there is nothing inherantly wrong with this, I think it leads to all sorts of confusion and condescention, that in turn, gives us all the elitist image.

#81 ·
I had conversation with other fishermen/friends on the riverside.

A. said, I dry fly fishing all day, did not get a single bite. I am satisfied.

B. said, I dry fly fishing all morning, did not get a single bite then I switched to nymphing, then pick up few fish. A good day.

On the other day, I had similar consersation with other two handers.

A. said, I swung a wetfly all day did not get a single bite, I enjoy it.

B. said, I swung a wetfly all morning did not get a single hit, then I switched to eggs and indicator. I got some fish. What a day.I think most of people I read here are belong to B types.

I have lot's of respect to A types fisherman. But I know I am a B type fisherman for sure.:thumb: I also know Chad is with me!:) For some reason, I enjoy the adaptive strategies of FF... can you spin a fly without split shot? maybe not...well... you can put a flyline in a spin reel and you still can cast them I guess...

If steelhead and trout can vote... They will say "Dryfly and Waking fly Only! Gentleman"

#82 ·
I could care less! Many of you sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. Why do so many feel like they need to get into someone elses head. Like you all are all knowing and perfect. Shut the hell up. I fish for me and I can care less about you. Good luck.

#88 ·
There are a lot of things that concern me and get a great deal of my brain time that ARE completely worthless to some and not so much to others.........like fly fishing.

#89 ·
I think a lot of these "innovations" people are using lately to catch steelies with the fly rod (split shot, balloons as strike indicators, etc., many times with a spey rod :confused:) are probably closely tied to the fact that our wild steelhead populations are dying and what we're left with are a bunch of pellet-head infested rivers where the fish don't bite worth shit unless you practically force-feed them.

There are a couple of winter steelie streams I fish that are 100% wild and the fish are so aggressive, even in water temps below 40 degrees, that if I swing through the run and don't get a grab, there simply are no fish around. Is that being presumptive? Maybe. But the wild fish are just so much grabbier, it's hard to dispute. So, I think the increased pellet head:wild fish ratio is partly responsible for the "innovative" fly fishing methods discussed here.

But fly rods, first and foremost (especially spey rods) are CASTING tools. If I'm going to be lobbing lead or bobbers, I'm reaching for a better tool for the job--a spinning rod. Just more pleasurable to use and MUCH more effective.

CS

#91 ·
I find it endlessly entertaining how supposedly intelligent, thoughtful, ecologically minded people can actually think that what you see in that photograph is doing any good whatsoever for "our rivers".

It is some form of mass stupidity passed around like a joint at the camp fire (not that there is anything wrong with a joint around the campfire).

#99 ·
Get off your high Horse. Why do people think swinging flies is so amazing? Ounce the steelhead is on the drag is there any difference? What makes you so much better? Why do you have to judge how other people enjoy fishing? I can't believe how snooty and proud you guys think you are. I bet you drive a hybrid with your nose in the air and write threads on the prius website on how you have noticed people driving a pick ups. Ive swung for steelhead before and it is fun when they hit. I just prefer to nymph and catch more fish. anyways, no need for your judgmental posts. Enjoy what makes you happy. And your no better than anyone else.

#107 ·
Thomas, you need to go fishin' and contemplate the meaning of judgmental!!

#100 ·
Easy ThomasLee, fish how you wish. No one can make you do otherwise. Until you reopened this thread today, it had be forgotten for two and a half years. Why not start up a new one explaining how you evloved in to a nymph fisherman and tacticts you think work well for your personality and/or catching fish. Many of us might like to hear that. Some will call you a dirty nympher because they are a swing only fisherman and might have a closed mind. Others might just resent that you've learned and developed a technique that they have yet to master. In the end it is just a conversation that may or may not affect how you choose to fish.

#105 ·
Thomas Lee,

Way to go for a first post guy! Are you actually someone else logging in as Thomas Lee just digging up old shit out of the archives to spice up the discussions?

BTW, there's nothing wrong with nymphing for steelhead. It's just a lower art form, like jig and bobber fishing (which is analogous), and bait fishing, and so forth. But that doesn't make it wrong. Lots of nymphers explain that they like to catch more steelhead. As all old time steelheaders know (I gues I probably am one now), if you really need to catch a steelhead, then fly fishing for them usually isn't the best method.

Sg

G
#108 ·
Well I guess we know who swings and who uses the bead? I know this: A bead guy will say " I am going to use what works " and I think = If they would only spend that time swinging rather than behind the bobber the outcome would be different GOOD OR BAD. So after 8 pages of reading I think I need a Pizza and a Beer, good luck either way you fish.....

#109 ·
Stewart, have you ever nymphed? With an indicator of some type? Without an indicator? I have seen guys that nymph without indicators and their technique is really refined and I'm a long way from talented enough to pull it off. It seems to happen in different water. Some may only use dries. Good for them. Good for everyone who is "to each his own". I think I can succesfully swing a fly through a run that is 3-5' deep, cobbled and textured on the surface. I'm not so sure that I have the skill set to swing a fly in a 15' deep hole that just screams "full of fish" to me. I've got a lot to learn.

#112 ·
Being someone that does both (i'm sure there are many of us)
I will have to say that one of the reasons I could never swing exclusively, (among several) is the "I'm better than you" attitude it seems to rub off on some people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.