Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead:Nymphing or Swinging

23K views 216 replies 91 participants last post by  clarkman 
#1 ·
I have noticed more people are fishing egg patterns on the river out of drift boats with a lot of lead to keep it down. They like it and think this is fly fishing. I think it is gear fishing with a fly rod. I have nothing against gear fishing but I can't believe these people think this is fly fishing and are proud of it. They lob there lead weight or slinkie 25 ft. praying they don't hit there rod and then drift with the boat. The reality of this is that the person rowing the boat is actually the one doing the fishing if he is not on the money reading water they won't touch a fish. I prefer to swing most of the time. If they want to fish like this why not get the gear rod out and do it right. I would rather go down swinging than catch a fish on the fly rod like this because that is exactly what there doing catching a fish on a fly rod not fly fishing! I'm curious how many people have observed this on the river and what your thoughts are on Lob fishing!:confused:

#121 ·
I have both kinds of anglers and do both myself and have fun doing it, BUT it is possable to fall asleep while guiding clients on the swing, ( ones that know it ALL already)
Most Good swingers make very lousy nymphers and might as well be swinging cause that is what is hapening anyway.
Most Good nymphers DO NOT have the patients for swinging, although I have totally converted a few great nymphers into swingers and swingers into nymphers and the swingers into nymphers allways fall the farthest from there roots. Why that is might you ask,,,,,,,because they catch the shat out of them compared to swinging. I have had clients stop nymphing after five steelhead and spend the rest of the day swinging and catch one and are as happy as could be.
Kudos to all fly fishermen its about catching steelhead how you want to catch steelhead.

#127 ·
It keeps coming back to people who really need to catch a steelhead should choose a method other than fly fishing. Which is why they choose to nymph. Nymphers readily admit that the reason they nymph is because they want to catch more steelhead. If I really needed to catch a steelhead, I'd use bait. Or a gillnet. They both work really well.

Hey Brazda, could you make a nympher out of me? I've probably invested close to 3 hours in nymphing over the past 25 years, but haven't had the patience to stick with it. Just to be clear, I'm not above slumming a bit.

Sg

#131 ·
I definitely didn't read all of these posts but I've read many like them before and nobody ever seems to mention the fact that it is damn fun to play a steelhead on a fly rod/reel. I have never caught one on a spinning rod but I have caught big mean fish on spinning rods in the salt and after about 3 minutes of cranking on the spinning reel, and pretty much knowing that the line is not going to break, I'm over it.

The first few runs of a steelhead (or bonefish, or big snapper, or other large salty fish) are epic on a 10', fairly light fly rod, with the reel screaming in the palm of your hands, etc. This is true no matter how the fish was hooked.

That's why I nymph. cuz its fun as shit to play (and know that you have a good chance of losing) a hot steelhead on a flyrod.

Swinging brings the more epic grab though for sure and you know the fish is going to be at least somewhat hot. That's why I carry two rods.

#133 ·
From my trusted friend Webster:
Flyfish, flyfished, flyfishing, flyfishes: To angle using artificial flies for bait.
That is pretty simple and self explanatory to me. Sure there are specializations in anything. A second baseman, catcher, shortstop and center fielder all do different things, but they all are playing baseball. Dap, chironomid, nymph, dry, skate, swing and streamer are all different methods of flyfishing right? Maybe they are not your preferred method, but they fit the definition.

#134 ·
This thread is still going on????? It's in the terrible 2's now! Look, if you have a fly rod in hand and there isn't a glob of roe attached with a 3/0 gami, then raise another hand to a fellow angler, he may have caught 5 steel to your 1 but i guarantee you both are getting the same amount of enjoyment. Now bait guys, cut the rope in their anchors and let their boat drift :)

#137 ·
Backwoods Angler,

You're waaaaay too open minded to be fly fishing.

Mumbles,

You're looking again like you're still deciding if anal-retentive is hyphenated or not. Didn't ya' know that Webster was a gear chucker anyway?

Pan,

Let's not be reasonable here. After all, we're discussing fly fishing.

Sg

#140 ·
nothing wrong with nymphing but move through the run in a cast step manner so other people can enjoy the river too..

nymphing ok
hole hogging not ok

and there is a right and wrong on this issue.

I will however say that swinging is a much higher form of fly fishing and that steelhead deserve the best we have. but that's my opinion. In short I believe that how we angle for steelhead shows how we respect them...

#141 ·
I will however say that swinging is a much higher form of fly fishing
I have yet to hear much of an elaboration on this. Is it just a higher form because it's less effective, therefore each fish counts that much more? Don't get me wrong, I swing most of the time too (all of my fishing on the wet side is swinging), I just don't see it as a "higher form."

#142 ·
This is all a bunch of bullshit. Fish how you want, who cares who cares how you fish but you? If you are truly talented you can fish any piece of water in the method best suited for that water, change from run to run as the river system dictates and have a good time. If you think sticking to one presentation type and method is a good time, congatulations. I think you are being narrow minded, not utilizing all the techniques possible and that is that. My perception is my reality and those unwilling to expand their techniques, styles or methods are self limiting and entertaining.

#151 ·
Nope, I'm willing to swing a fly, preferably one I tied. If the run is more suited for a nymph rig, I'll try to pass a nymph through, again, preferably one that I tied. I have caught my share of fish with bait, corkies, yard, spin and glos and such. Now I fly fish. And I don't give a rat's ass if it is a swung spey fly, a bunny, esl, dry or nymph and if it was swung deep, skated or twitched. I guess I'm of weak moral character, but no, my egg drifting days under a float have passed.

Edit: And a bead, well, it is not my preferred artificial method of enticing fish, but if all else fails I think that there is some potential for a bead. Hopefully it will be in combination with something more attractive, but we all know I don't know shit anyway. Fish however you wish, even if you are the one floating the big gob of stinky eggs and good luck to you.

#153 ·
Mumbles, I think that was the best serious answer yet...oh, and you avatar makes me hungry...

Guinness, it's what's for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

personally, I'll do either...as long as it's a fly tied by me...that's where I get more satisfaction...

#154 ·
Ryan, you are of course entitled to your opinion, as you well know. I will stand tall to my opinion that if all you will do is swing then you are self limiting. If you will only nymph, self limiting. I guess all those purists that are self limiting are so damn good at the method they fish that they can be comfortable with their single methodology. I am not self limiting in that manner. I do not have the talent or luxury of limitless time to fish. I prefer to fish to the situation and water and challenge myself in that regard. My two cents only, and that plus a hell of a lot more might buy a latte. Self limiting is to each their own. I still believe it is narrow minded, unfair point or not, it is my right to state my point of view.

#156 ·
Mumbles, I never said it wasn't your right to state your opinion. My only point is to try to show you that you limit your approaches too. Just because someone chooses to swing doesn't mean they aren't trying new tactics (i.e. stack mending a sink tip etc.). I choose to swing, that doesn't mean I haven't nymphed before or don't know what it is about. I have, it is ridiculously easy in my opinion, and to me not that enjoyable. Because I chose to do what is most enjoyable to me does not make me narrow minded. Fish however you want, within the law, but I dont feel that Ed Ward, or Dec Hogan, or any weekend warrior who decides to swing is automatically narrow minded in their approach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.