Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Auto Break-ins!

7K views 57 replies 41 participants last post by  ascender 
#1 ·
Lenice is one of my favorite fishing spots on this planet, however the incidence of car break-ins has caused me concern. It diminishes my piscatorial pleasure when I have to worry about someone breaking into my car. Any reports from last season? Better yet, any arrests?

#4 ·
Anybody else sick of the break in's ? Well, it is time to set up a sting?Who is with me? I am heading over to a couple of popular fishing spots this spring with a bait car full of visible stuff. That's right...just me a mister Ruger BlackHawk which will be stuck in some poor smucks face as they try and rip off the car. Can't wait until they shit their pantsbawling:

#8 ·
I've been talking to a lot of people out here about what to do about break ins. I can remember not locking my truck and leaving gear in the bed without any fear of being ripped off at Nunnally. So far, my plan is to get state approval and hopefully a grant to put concealed web cams in the parking lots for the lakes with break in problems. I would also get lots of signage out there so potential thieves know they are being watched. This would be rather inexpensive to do and hopefully make our fishing trips more enjoyable. Any help or suggestions for this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

#9 ·
Boys, boys, boys, I sense a bit too much testosterone flowing...:rofl:

But seriously, what you propose to do will net you much more trouble than you think. Stop watching Rambo and talk to an LEO, they'll set you straight to the reality of things.

In the end, fishing in a place known for break-ins is asking for trouble, fish elsewhere would be my advice.

#11 ·
Sensationalism at it's best!! This website is about joking around and having some fun right? Quite frankly, I don't even fish the Eastside lakes anymore because I have found the fishing to be just as good, if not better at Lone and Pass. You hear about these break-in's and it just wants to make you go and do something like that, but the the most prudent thing to do of course, would be just to avoid the area.iagree

#12 ·
I fished Pass about two weeks ago. Fortunately fishing was poor so I came in early to the launch. I caught some A-hole with a stashed fuel can right next to my rig. I'm a large guy and I let him know of my displeasure. I think I could smell crap after our discussion. On the lighter side, I actually caught five rainbows yesterday morning. Things are heating up...

#17 ·
A camera is going to be only as good as the enforcement behind it. A good example (and $900 lesson to me) of this is when my boat engine got stolen. My Jeep, boat, and engine were parked in a Fred Meyer parking lot on a Saturday afternoon. A guy pulled up, unbolted the 9.8 Merc and took off with it. By the time another customer had figured it out the jerk made off with it. I reported it to FM and the police. The FM security guy said they had it on film but could not release it because of 3rd party liability. I also reported it to the police and there wasn't much they could do since no one held the guy onsite.

So, my point is, a camera is only as good as it's back up. We fellow fisherman need to keep a look out for strange things happening in parking lots. If we see something, take down a license plate number or let it be known that you're watching someone. More times than not, a person will get spooked and stop whatever they're doing.

#18 ·
The camera's that I know of would be small and hidden, so nobody would notice (or find them) unless they knew where they were. I'm planning on talking to fish and game and the local law enforcement to see if they would pursue any crimes that are taped. I'm not dead-set on cameras, it just seems to be the most logical solution.

I would really like any suggestions that anyone has (other than hide in the bushes with a gun). It's pretty ridiculous that we have to worry about this crap when we are out there trying to have a good time and catch some fish.

#27 ·
Absolutely.

The problem is, the state officers on the ground will go through the motions to appease those watching. But in the end, it costs the state to incarcerate these - mostly transient illegal hispanics - and there are tens of thousands of them in eastern washington. I say an officer write a hispanic up for taking a stringer of trout out of Nunnally. But later talked to some folks I know and they said the hispanics just ignore the citations. The state will not pursue it as they have no real property to put as lien against the fee of the citation. If you put them in jail, the state has to pay the cost. And so the courts just turn a blind eye to it. The write tickets to appease you the fishermen but the culprits are back out there the next week fishing or breaking into vehicles.

The answer, a real outcry to the state legislators, write tickets to the agricultural companies (or any other company) that hire transients. Like they are doing in Arizona. Take their business licenses away on the second offense. Shut these unethical businesses down. Sure they get cheap labor, but the costs are those we are experiencing here, gangs to rural america and importing crime from Mexico, and these poeple spending their money not here but siphoneing it off and sending it back to family in Mexico. And when they need medical help, they again leech off our system. All the way around it is bad for America and the agricultural companies only care about their one benifit of cheap labor and let everyone else absorb the costs of these criminals being here.

So pick up the phone. Demand a change. Join the groups fighting to stop illegal immigration.

Wildlander

#20 ·
The times I've gone over by myself have always been trouble free, I usually only plan on camping when I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of people doing the same, this means lots of activity, people coming and going from around the camping area, sure I've heard stories of stuff stolen overnight right from campsites so I tie my tube to my tent and don't leave a bunch of stuff out when I sleep. When I'm not sure how many people will be around I just make a daytrip out of it I only take what I need at the lake and I prop the seat forward and leave the glovebox open on my little truck so the thieves can see that theres nothing to steal then I just hope my karmas right, this has worked for me when I've been the only car there, sure it isn't an answer to the problem its just one mans way of dealing with it now that breakins are a common occurance no matter where you go. My personel suggestion would be to follow what the park service does and try to get the state to have a host there, I know when my wife and I used to hike alot the trails that were heavily used that had problems of this sort started getting park hosts this seemed to work but in this day and age of budget cuts everyone might have to pony up some cash to support it.
tony

#22 ·
Still keep thinking an old beater car or small truck with nothing worth stealing might be the ticket. Don't leave anything in it and leave it unlocked. Put some sort of lock on the hood so they can't get into the engine compartment and leave you stranded.

Lived in the SF bay area for several years. We had our apartment broken into twice and my buddies girlfriends Honda was broken into several times. Always wanted to have a station wagon or truck and hide in the back and give a little suprise. :thumb: But when you are dealing with a meth head with nothing to loose, not sure anthing but bad would come of it. Get someone high with a gun and you might get shot and even if you shot someone and they figured out what you were doing LEO or their lawyer will be holding you accountable. Nice legal system that protects the guilty, the inncoent not so sure?

#23 ·
That's a pretty good idea. Making thieves aware that their nefarious deeds are being recorded must have some deterrent effect. I think very visible cameras mounted atop the telephone poles in the parking area would be very difficult to disable and would certainly make a thief who wants to remain anonymous think twice. Also, posting signs warning of the gravity and consequenses of auto burlary would alert theives that they face prosecution. Posting the signs in both english and spanish with the police dept logo would also help. I don't want to just give up on Lenice she's just too pretty. Another idea would be to move the parking area closer to the lake so our cars aren't so isolated.

#28 ·
I cannot believe the ignorance. Such cameras would become targets to plinkers with a 22 rifle. It is Fish and Game land we are talking about. Guns are ok down there. They can be diabled very easily and at great cost to the state. Such a program would never fly. As for prosecution, read my previous post. They are hispanics with no real property or money. The state will no incarcerate them as it is to costly to the state.

#25 ·
Someone should put up signs that there are cameras, they might be just as good as if their really were cameras. That or a bait car with an exploding window, kinda like those expoding golf balls but with neon orange paint. Hell, buy a damn tiger and keep him in the car.
I could go on but I don't want your heads to explode from all this genius.

#30 ·
The camera has it's place; it is not necessary to have a camera installed in every location to provide deterrent. It is a common practice to set up camera weather-proof (vandal-proof?) housings with the cameras being moved about discretely. This is utilized in the US on school buses, if traveling in the UK, one shall see bright yellow boxes along the roadside, they may or not have a camera within. If caught violating posted limits, one may expect a ticket in the mail, certainly helps to low one down.

Cameras could be an excellent project for fishing clubs.

GT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.