Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why would I buy an 8 weight for steelhead?

15K views 154 replies 50 participants last post by  Chris Scoones 
#1 ·
I was finishing Art Scheck's book, Fly Fish Better, when I got to the chapter on Appropriate force. In his tests, which I trust because he is right about the knots in my own tests, he basically states that his 5 weight does better in his pulling force tests then the 8 weight that he was using. ***Question*** Why am I using an 8 weight for Steelhead when I could be using my 5? I like my five better but I have allways been afraid it would break. I live in Buffalo and the steelhead are huge - to me at least. Does anybody fish bigger sized steelhead with a 5 weight? And has anybody broke a 5 weight fishing for steelhead?

#110 ·
I nominate Sick Clown to the Toolshed Tantrum Hall of fame! That was priceless. I don't hate him, instead, I've shed a tear from laughing so hard!!!! :) :) :) :)

Oh and yeah, here's what you generally have to wear for those punk GL steelhead... Rumor has it you won't get your own hole with out it...

Attachments

#115 ·
Guys,

Obviously we've all been wrong in our choice of rod wts. We ought to be using our 5 wts for our chum and chinook. Then instead of using those big, heavy 12 wts, we ought to out chasing tarpon with the 5 wts as well. Afterall, since the 5 wt pulls harder than an 8 wt, it is only reasonable to assume that the 5 wt will pull harder than a 10 wt or even a 12 wt. Heck, we could go and use our 5 wts on swordfish or use them to pull up 100lb halibut!

And as for those of us using those long telephone pole 2-handers for steelhead, heck, we've missed the boat, instead of busting our butts with all that unnecessary length and weght of the 2-hander, we really ought to do ourselves a favor and use 7'6" 5 wts.

Come to think about it, I think I'll go trout fishing on the Yak with my 16' 11 wt. It ought to be dandy for fishing Blue Wing Olives.

Yesiree, the rod companies and fly shops have us all bamboozled into thinking we need more than one rod for our fishing.

#117 ·
I admit I havn't done any testing on my rod yet, every free minute I spend in the streams, but I have not broke a knot anywhere but at the hook so far this year(stuck my muddler spey on a tree underwater). Thanks Art (the god) Scheck. I wonder how many other dink thread readers could say the same. And I don't think you realize how big the steelhead in Buffalo are.

#118 ·
They start out in the Atlantic near Newfoundland swim down and past Qubec where they learn french. They come down Lake Ontario. They swim up the mighty Niagra. They swim the falls, this gives them super strength and maximum sex appeal. After that they hang out in lake erie and dine on radioactive zebra fish from Russia. That's where they learn to communicate psychically. Then they talk to me in my dreams and tell me where they'll be hanging out in the morning. They give me a vision of what lure to use. Then when I catch them they grant me a wish.

#120 ·
Please Flyborg try to refrain from swearing on this thread. I know you're a big tuff guy and it's hard to control yourself but there are obviously children on this site. No adult would post from YouTube or put those dopey pics on any message board. I wike da widdow cute kitties and the gangsta rapper.

#121 ·
And it looks like I've struck a cord mr sr. member jason b. What are you a fly shop employee. Are you the cool guy that pretends to be the trout bumb while you sell your soul slinging $800 rods to rich preppies looking for something to waste thier money on? Or are you the guy that worships him. "I wish I could sell fly rods all day and not fish all day like you." Actually I love my fly shop guys. They taught me how to cast. How do you not love the person who teaches you that.

#122 ·
And FT's right, If you don't know how to hold a rod when you've got one hooked, like FT, you will have a hard time landing big fish. Even with my stupid spey rod I've been using some of Art (the God) Schenks methods and I have to say he's right on that one too. I used to put the rod up in the air like you morons when I got a strike. With my spey rod the thing was in the air at least 20 feet. You can't pull on something with the rod that high unless it's made of solid steel or something. It does feel like you'r pulling hard. But, keeping it low and switching it from pulling left to right feels so much better. It's like you have full control of the fish as opposed to letting the fish be in control.:beer1:

#124 ·
Here's another funny thing, I've posted the weight of the world record holder in the area's biggest rainbow, which I think is a steelhead(I'm only guessing) and nobody has posted the biggest steelhead in Washington and the site it's located on. I thought your fish were so big. I thought this thread would be filled with all these posts of the place to go to get that information. I guess I was right. I guess the Washington Giant Steelhead is a myth. Or maybe nobody cares anymore. I am literaly crying while I'm typing. All you babies can do is swear at me, post pictures of kittens and Afro American's at me, don't you realize how that makes me feel. I'm not just crying for Washington steelhead, I am crying for society. When will we learn to not blindly follow the heard. That's impossible, that can't happen, what I know is right I don't have to test any of my theories. If the "salesman" at the fly shop tells me to buy something, I will buy it. I have bought it. Oh no, now I'm turning into one of the bandwagon morons. From now on I will only recite the party line. That's it for me people. No more fishing without a valid flotation device. I'll only wear the socks bought from the fly shop. I'll only wear those super expensive waste of money polarized sunglasses. I'll only buy all my fly tying materials there. Actually I'll just stop tying flies alltogether. I'll only buy thier flies. I won't get into rod building as my next project. I'll just buy thiers. I'll only wear thier most expensive fly fishing stuff. I'll wait outside the shop for it to open. I'll drink my morning coffee inside. I'll pretend I'm one of them. I'll only go fishing with a guide too. Why should I think for myself. I'll never have to tie a knot again or even touch a fish. ___________________Why bother even breathing__________________.

#130 ·
Sickclown...Where have you been??

I read the first few replies to your 8wt. query the day you posted and today was shocked to see the amount of views and replies. The inevitable degeneration/degradation was not a surprise. I seemed to remember some words of wisdom from you a few years ago. 5 replys all posted on 10-25-2005, nothing prior and not a peep till now. Drumroll please: 1.Hey Don't pay a dollar to learn to spey cast. Look for videos online. . Just search any engine for "spey cast" and you will find the ones from speycaster.net. They helped me learn quick. 2.Nymphing is the only way to catch the steelhead I'm fishing for; I got a spey rod now so it doesn't matter. I even drift real egg sacks. I also cover all my flies with trout attractor. Take that fly fisherman. 3. I got the cabellas two hand recently for 99 bucks. It's the only spey I've ever used but it feels like a 600 dollar rod compared to the 35 dollar fleuger I was using. 4. fit and wha cha walkin on. Mine suck in mud but are great on rock. They were cheap at Dick's. 5. Re: Six year old grandson wants to flyfish: Just roll casts with a little line you have my guarantee that the boy will be fine. So Sickclown, welcome back to the site and look forward to more of your thoughtfullness to our members. BTW, what WAS the name of the institution you just got released from??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.