Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Merry Lake

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kent Lufkin 
#1 ·
It seems Nunally and Lenice get all the love, (and the fish plants from WDFW.) I've never been to Merry, I hear you can't get your toon back there, need to use a float tube. Is it worth taking the float tube, or just ticks and rattlesnakes back there?

Wayne

#2 ·
Wayne:

It can be worth the trip over to Merry. The east end is shallower and tends to be weedy. Can be a little tough in a tube if the weeds get too tall. There is another put in spot towards the west end, below the basalt face, in the deeper end of the lake.

Could be interesting at Merry.

MB

#3 ·
Merry has 6-8 foot depressions/channels throughout. There are some spots between the deeper sections that are 1-2 feet in depth and would give you problems in a tube. The nice thing about Merry is it is somewhat protected from the wind. Raccoons can be a lot of fun in the spring ;) ......

#4 ·
Raccoons can be a lot of fun in the spring ;) ......
:hmmm: Kind of reminds me of one of those Dry Falls outings we had here a couple of years ago. I remember waking up to hearing Backyard and Bhudda making noises and raccoons scurrying past my tent. I think I just chuckled and rolled over back to sleep. Too bad the trout weren't biting much that weekend. :( But there sure was a lot of beer consumed! ptyd

#6 ·
Merry's a waste of time - don't go there. Fishing the inlet at the east end below the ledge with a parachute Adams or Griffith's Gnat off a long leader and floating line in late May or early October is a complete bust! Staying at Lenice and dragging buggers around all day is a much better plan. ;)

K

#7 ·
Thanks all. I have Friday to fish and am trying to decide which of the 3 to go. I really like Nunnally, but hate the trek there with my toon. By your responses, I am assuming one can wheel his toon back there to Merry. Getting to Lenice is so much easier. I'll probably just see how I'm feeling when I get there.

Wayne

#8 ·
The trail in to Merry is similar to those to the other lakes - relatively flat, sandy tracks through the sagebrush.

Problem is that Merry is situated just below a bluff like the ones along the extreme east end of Lenice or the smaller one towards the west end. The trail to east end of Merry ends at a shelf on that bluff that's a good 30-40 feet higher than the lake. You can take your pontoon down but getting it back up might be a different matter.

I usually take a float tube or SFC that I can haul on my back. Plus Merry isn't that big so your 'toon will probably seem like the Exxon Valdez as you try to maneuver in the tight space.

FYI, there's also a trail to Merry from the outlet on the west end of Lenice that follows the creek.

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.