Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Methow River to close Sept. 18 to all fishing

9K views 95 replies 41 participants last post by  gone johnson 
#1 ·
Better change your plans if you were hoping to fish the Methow this month as it closes on Thursday. Too many steelhead were caught during the trout season and the federal ESA permit that allows the trout season required that it be closed. I commend WDFW for closing it and putting endangered steelhead recovery first. Thanks! :thumb:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Methow River to close Sept. 18 to all fishing

OLYMPIA - The Methow River will close to fishing Thursday (Sept. 18), the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today.

The early closure of the catch-and-release fishery, which was originally scheduled to run through Sept. 30, is necessary to avoid additional incidental catch of protected wild steelhead, said Bob Leland, WDFW steelhead program manager.

The fishery, which is directed at resident trout, is allowed under a federal permit that prescribes strict limits on the incidental catch of wild steelhead, listed as endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA).

"Over the last couple of weeks, we've seen a rise in the number of steelhead in the river, as well as a significant increase in anglers participating in the fishery," Leland said. "With that combination, we quickly reached the catch-and-release fishery's ESA limit for incidentally caught wild steelhead, necessitating the closure."

Leland said fishery managers are assessing the steelhead return to the region, and based upon wild and hatchery returns could open a fishery in the next few weeks for hatchery steelhead on portions of the upper Columbia River and some tributaries, including the Methow River. That hatchery steelhead fishery would be allowed under a separate federal permit.

Anglers should check for updates on fishing seasons on WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/fishregs.htm.

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting. In order for them to know how many steelhead were caught, they must have asking about steelhead catches during the trout creel surveys.

Nothing posted as of yet on the website. I'm going there for work tomorrow; wish I knew whether to pack the 5 weight or the 1 weight...or whether to bring the pram.

#4 ·
I'm also glad to see this, especially after seeing the following on a local guide's webpage:

"Me? I take off for the Methow Valley again to chase the big Westslope Cutties again, but this time we will spend half our time skating Crystal Caddis for you-know-who. So very perfect. The Met is really low right now, so we will have to choose our waters carefully."

Legal? Ethical? What do you think?

#6 ·
I called this in to WDFW yesterday, and frankly I hope it had something to do with the closure.

But I'm still interested in the question - what do you think of a guide appearing to promote intentional "incidental catches" of steelhead on a river closed for same?

#7 ·
I had seen that post also. Not sure what I think about that. Im sure I woudnt mind catching a steelhead while fishing for trout, nor would I be totaly opposed to fishing a fly that could catch both. I do think that we generally hold guides to a different standard and expect them to be not be targeting a closed species.

Bummer that the Methow is closed to all fishing.

#11 ·
I do think that we generally hold guides to a different standard and expect them to be not be targeting a closed species.

Bummer that the Methow is closed to all fishing.
Should we hold them to a different standard? And what standard would that be? They are a for-profit business that, in my honest opinion, is sometimes closer to a commercial fisherman than not. They are in the business of putting people on fish and making sure they catch them. Sometimes the WDFW rules get in their way.

And before every guide starts posting like crazy, I know there are plenty of ethical guides but to assume they are somehow more ethical than recreational fishermen is questionable.

#10 ·
:rolleyes:

You guys nailed it!

Dickson is the reason steelhead are endangered in the Methow and everywhere else.

He is the reason you never catch anything.

He is the reason gas prices are rising.

He is the reason some of you have migrains.

Sounds like you should form a posse and go get him.

I hear that steelhead fishermen don't sink in water.

Actually when I was over on the Methow a week and a half ago it was so crowded it was damn near insane so unless Dickson guides 50 fishermen a day I am not sure he can be blaimed so maybe you should call off the witch hunt.

Pretty much the only people in the whole area were fishermen and all anybody was catching were "suckers" so there you go.

BTW, I saw several guides, not just Dickson. There are more than 1 you know.

#12 ·
Aren't you the one in support of more WDFW officers to enforce regulations and isn't targeting steelhead in the off season illegal? I'd think that you would support the protection of steelehad in the Methow.

No one called a "witch hunt" or even stated the guides name before you posted.

Shit happens and you can't control what goes after your fly, but if you're purposely targeting steelhead then you're in the wrong.

:rolleyes:

You guys nailed it!

Dickson is the reason steelhead are endangered in the Methow and everywhere else.

He is the reason you never catch anything.

He is the reason gas prices are rising.

He is the reason some of you have migrains.

Sounds like you should form a posse and go get him.

I hear that steelhead fishermen don't sink in water.

Actually when I was over on the Methow a week and a half ago it was so crowded it was damn near insane so unless Dickson guides 50 fishermen a day I am not sure he can be blaimed so maybe you should call off the witch hunt.

Pretty much the only people in the whole area were fishermen and all anybody was catching were "suckers" so there you go.

BTW, I saw several guides, not just Dickson. There are more than 1 you know.

#14 ·
You are all missing the point.

I was actually going to get out of the house and go camping/fishing on a river I love this weekend. Now I'll probably end up cleaning out the garage and having dinner with the in-laws.

Screw releasing wild fish. Let's concentrate on releasing Josh into the wild.

#15 ·
Good Job WDFW! A friend of mine vented to me just this last week that he went up to catch some cutts and found a very famous steelhead hole with a line of guys who were obviously targeting steelhead and openly talking about it.

If these knuckleheads and others like them cost us a steelhead season in a year in which the runs are looking good, I am going to be pissed! :mad:

#16 ·
Josh, I was headed up there too this weekend so while I'm disappointed for me, I'm happy for the steelhead. However, there are plenty of other places to fish in the Winthrop area. I may still head up there or go somewhere else but in any case, I'll be fishing this weekend just not on the Methow.

#21 ·
Jason I think I agree with you about what you are trying to say, we are all responseable. But... I think that if anyone posted a report on this page about how they were targeting steelhead on closed waters that they would be tore a new one. I have also read your posts about frustrations with people that dont follow the rules, so I guess I dont really know why we should treat a guide any differently.

#22 ·
I've never met Dickson though I have heard he's a nice guy in person.

However, there always seems to be some shit going on with his website. And where there is enough smoke, you are likely to find fire. That kind of junk tires me out. Low class.

But yes, obviously stuff like this is everyone's problem. But anyone who is stupid enough to publicly claim that they are going after fish they shouldn't be targeting deserves all the crap they get.

#25 ·
First and foremost, I want to say to Mr. Root, "I feel your pain". To everyone who has been targetting Steelhead over there and has cost Josh a chance at some outside fun, I hate all of you! It is extremely important that Mr. Root (along with all other new dads) be able to enjoy the outdoors and you have ruined it.

I also noticed the reference to skating caddis on the guide's site. Let's remember here, that a guide is getting paid. I think that if you are licensed and make your living of a resource owned by the state (everyone) then you gotta follw the rules. To advertise fishing for steelhead in waters closed for them is either balsy or stupid. I am not sure which.

Wake tonight,
cds

#26 ·
That guide's post pissed me off too. Flagrant disregard by a so-called "biologist" and "conservationist". That post alone probably sent at least 500 sheep straight out of Bellevue straight over here to chase steelhead illegally. I took him off my bookmarks and out of my monday morning ritual.

#35 ·
I agree with all of your comments on guides.

I agree that Dickson was unethical.

I simply don't agree with putting any real blaim on Dickson for this closure.

Don't give him that much credit!

There are plenty of fishermen who push the rules out there besides Dickson who have nothing to do with him.

Why don't you blaim the Methow steelhead for being so trouty?

IMO, it is just stupid to point fingers like this and is so typical of the fishing community and doesn't do anything good for anybody it just serves as catharsis for the pain you feel from steelhead being on the ropes and believe me I feel your pain.

#36 ·
I agree with all of your comments on guides.

I agree that Dickson was unethical.

I simply don't agree with putting any real blaim on Dickson for this closure.

Don't give him that much credit!
Well if we don't point out unethical guides such as Dickson, who will? If enough people call out Dickson and guides like him, maybe we can convince a few people to not book with him... get enough and maybe he will need to find a new line of work! Not only will this be good for the fish, but it will be good for the hard working guides who obey the law and act ethically.

Dickson may not have been the sole reason for the closure, anymore than a poacher wipes out a run, but he is a heavily contributing factor.

#37 ·
METHOW RIVER (Okanogan Co.)
from mouth (Hwy. 97 Bridge) to County
Rd. 1535 (lower Burma Rd.) Bridge
(621)
Downstream of Hwy. 97 Bridge, Columbia River rules apply.
CLOSED WATERS
from County Rd. 1535 (lower Burma
Rd.) Bridge to Gold Creek (621)
All Game Fish June 1-Sept. 30 Catch-and-release. Selective gear rules.
from Gold Creek to Foghorn Dam (1
mile upstream of Winthrop) (621)
All Game Fish June 1-Sept. 30 Catch-and-release. Selective gear rules.
WHITEFISH Dec. 1-Mar. 31 No min. size. Daily limit 15 WHITEFISH only. Whitefish gear rules.
from Foghorn Dam (1 mile upstream
of Winthrop) to Weeman Bridge (8
miles upstream of Winthrop) (621)
All Game Fish June 1-Aug. 15 Catch-and-release. Selective gear rules.
WHITEFISH Dec. 1-Mar. 31 No min. size. Daily limit 15 WHITEFISH only. Whitefish gear rules.
from Weeman Bridge to the falls
above Brush Creek (621)

After reviewing the rules I guess I dont see where it says you cant fish for Steelhead. I'm not an expert at reading our regs. Maybe someone can explain. My prior post were with the understanding that it was closed for steelhead.

#40 ·
After reviewing the rules I guess I dont see where it says you cant fish for Steelhead. I'm not an expert at reading our regs. Maybe someone can explain. My prior post were with the understanding that it was closed for steelhead.
You can fish for steelhead. Under the regs, they are considered trout and when the Methow River trout fishery is open, steelhead are fair game.

But wild middle and upper Columbia River steelhead are listed as endangered, so they have special protections. WDFW have to get a special permit to open the Methow for trout fishing. That permit specifies how many wild steelhead can be caught before the fishery is to be closed:

"No more than 20 adult UCR steelhead be caught and released in the Methow
River trout fishery, of which 2 fish may die;"

"No more than 12,500 hatchery-and natural-origin juvenile UCR steelhead (0.
mykiss) in unknown proportion, may be caught and released in Methow River
trout fishery, of which no more than 1,250 may die;"

So, if you decide to specifically target wild steelhead, then the net effect is that you may end up forcing an early closure of the fishery, shutting everyone else out.

You can read the special permit here:

http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Salmon-Harvest-Hatcheries/Salmon-Fishery-Management/upload/1554_Permit.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.