Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anheuser Busch

3K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  Poopy McButtfart 
#1 ·
I just was told the Anheuser busch has sold out to an overseas company. So much for it being an American lager!! Go Coors Light!!!!
Just remember this for your next fishing trip when you stock up on beer.

#2 ·
Go Coors Light!!!!
Coors is at least half owned by Molson, a Canadian company. And is currently operating as "MillerCoors" with the Miller division of SAB/Miller. SAB stands for "South African Brewing" and you can guess where that is owned.

If you want US owned and US made beer, Sam Adams is currently the largest brewery that fits both of those. Keep in mind that all of the little brews (PBR, Rainer, LoneStar, etc) are all owned by one US company. But that company contracts to SAB Miller to brew the beer.

Personally, I say go for a microbrew. Good beer, local ownership and local jobs. The beer in your belly puts money into the pockets of people in your own community (or at least your own state/region).

Or, brew your own.

#11 ·
There's some good local lighter beers available. Old Seattle Lager from Maritime Pacific and Roger's from Georgetown are two I can think of off the top of my head.
Good call on Maritime!! Too bad it doesn't come in cans!! Much easier to dispose of in a raft! Maybe I should jsut do a pony keg!!! I need to go to Maritime soon!! Smokers!! MMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tasty!!

#21 ·
As I said above, PBR is brewed by South African/UK owned SABMiller. Pabst Brewing Company, the parent company of PBR (and Schlitz, Stroh, Schaefer, Rainier, Olympia), has exactly zero breweries of their own.

So they aren't the largest brewer of anything. They are the largest domestically owned repackaging company of beer brewed by others.

#17 ·
Pabst's claim to be the largest domestic brewer is a bit of a stretch. They don't brew their own beer anymore, so they're really just a brand-name. "Largest domestically owned company selling beer brewed by others under their own name" is more accurate.
Whoah there buddy.

My entire understanding of the universe is on shaky ground as it is! :D

#19 ·
Fishful Thinking is onto something. Those crazy Bellinghammers have been getting together from time to time, why not other areas? I have no real friends, only a few virtual friends here who tolerate my ingorance of fishing, bug identification, casting techniques and overall general stupidity. I'd be happy to toss one back with such a cool group. Kitsap?

As for beer, prefer the micro brews, or a Guinness, or really whatever is available, no beer snobbiness here.

#20 ·
I'm opening a beer/wine bar in Everett on/around 11/1. I will have two house beers brewed by a local brewery coming online in Sultan, Skullknocker. One will be a light lager to compete with commercial "yellow beers" and another will be a very drinkable copper which we call the Quaffable Copper. These are "small" beers, brewed for session drinking. Worldanglr and I once killed 5 gallons of the copper in 4 hours and I went to work 8 hours later, no lying, no problem. We'll be bringing more of our own beers online over time, both large (like the Imp Rye Wine we made at Far West and hope to have on tap at the grand opening) and small, mostly German-inspired styles. So you will have good beer at both ends of the Sky: Headknocker in Sultan, and Balefire (my bar) at 1801 Hewitt. Perhaps I can arrange special growler prices for those with a fishing license and a fly rod.

#22 ·
Wasn't Bud/Busch known as the workingman's/NASCAR/ball park beer? The lowest common denominator among mass brewed beers? It seems odd that a European company would buy it. With most of those workingman jobs now being done in China it only seems logical that the Chinese would buy the brew that accompanies those jobs.

NASCAR has been having trouble filling seats and has started giving gas vouchers in some of it's venues. Perhaps they should give beer vouchers if they really want to improve attendance. If that fails there is always free sidearms for every male 21 and over.:) Standing room only plus huge beer sales! Ive

#24 ·
Having worked in the beverage industry for the better part of 14 years, the consolidation that has been going on in the wine industry and now the beer industry has been par for the course for about the last 7-9 years. Add into that the weak US dollar and the fact that AB wasn't all that interested in global expansion outside of whipping Bud into the number one brand in the world (a great idea but tough to do in a marketplace w/ increased competition).

I'd personally much rather support the little guy, the local craft brewer any day of the week, but nothing beats a ice cold PBR or Coors Light after a long day of flogging the water.

#32 ·
Seattle, Georgetown to be precise of the local as originally stated by Alpine and Stonefish. My fav's include 9 lb hammer, smarty pants, or if we want to make it a venue that can include any age we could meet at Stellar pizza.

Zen, 2.25 for a beer is posh, I remember the .79 Big Bear ptyd

#33 ·
Rainier is now owned by..................Pabst! :beathead:

Here's a way to avoid inserting NFR into posts like this: http://www.fishbrewing.com/ ....Home of: Wild Salmon Organic Pale Ale, Trout Stout, Mudshark Porter, Thornton Creek E.S.B., etc

Disclaimer: They also Brew Puget Soundkeeper Clean Water Ale, which benefits the nonprofit that I work for and helps protect water quality in Puget Sound. Thanks Guys! :beer2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.