Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pass Lake Minnow Patterns?

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Scott Keith 
#1 ·
Now that the weather has turned, it is time to go hit Pass Lake.
In the past, I've had luck using various patterns to imitate the minnows. I caught fish on zonkers, clousers, white buggers and bobbing baitfish to name a few. I've also caught browns on Puget Sound baitfish patterns up to 4" long.
I've seen the minnows being chased, but haven't seen one up close check them out.

I need to tie up some bugs before heading to Pass. I've always caught fish, but never felt I had the best minnow pattern for the lake. I figured I'd ask if anyone has a good minnow pattern they'd like to share that has worked for them at Pass.
Thanks,
Brian

#2 ·
Look in my photo album near the end and there is a pic of a pass lake minnow that I found floating. I have seen others alive, and they have more red in the gills than the one in the pic, but you can get a general idea.

#7 ·
All previously mentioned look good (Islander...nice one). This method at this time of year is catering to an aggressive/territorial fish, as in they ain't exactly bashful.

My weapon of choice

The epoxy head is just right. Casts brilliantly on a floater and goes under just enough. I tend to drop it in soft against cover, count to 1, then strip violently and erratically (be sure to hang on). You don't want it to sink far...2 feet is too deep. I usually go to this about mid-dusk when it gets tough to see.

For anyone new to it:
Cast as close to shore (weeds, overhang, etc) as you can. Most strikes are within first 3 strips...occasionally they'll follow it first and strike closer to you (tonight was like that). If you clip a branch fishing this way, it wasn't a branch. 2/3 of my strikes feel like this. If you miss it don't pull out and re-cast. Collect the slack (your minnow will appear stunned for a second or two...this is perfect) then continue stripping hard. Over half my missed strikes will come right back on the same cast. Almost none of them will come back on a subsequent cast. Main thing is being there when the fish are shallow & active...that's another topic.

Good luck!

#8 ·
fenders thats my minnow!! i love that fly although i prefer it in gold. not sure the fish really care too much they really dont get too good a look at it. if the profile and presentation is right your good to go. also another important "realm" of patterns is some big friggin bunnies (BFB's and even BFDB's). there are other forage besides the smaller fatheads out there. seen some (i think stickleback?) tonight in the 4" range.

haha btw i damn near netted a 18-20" brown tonight. i was kicking in for the night and turned around to check for depth and my headlamp lit up a brown just chillin in 2 feet of water or so. he just sat there all dumb founded so i grabbed my net and excercised some ninja skill. had em until he busted a reverse pterodactyl and flew out of my net. sneaky little one.

#10 ·
Islander,
We killed browns at pass lake using many of the techniques mentioned above. Haven't done as well with the bunnies as we have with a modified bugger - large, All White, Maribou/Flashobou Tail, Dubbing Body, Silver Ribbed Body, with a couple extra turns of schlapin at the head for bulk. We called it "The Carpet Bomb" because the size and color would get the attention of fish in a large area. Huck to shore and strip fast.
BB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.