Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pictures of gear caught fish?

16K views 212 replies 66 participants last post by  Jim Speaker 
#1 ·
I was wondering why more and more gear caught fish pictures are being posted in the gallery?:mad: I visit this site because I dont want to see gear caught fish and I thought the name WFF ment that I found a place where I would see no more gear caught fish pictures. I thought that was for the gear forums?:confused: Chris, Just an idea but could we maybe have a section for gear fishing since there are a few members on here that do, so that I dont get mad every time I see them.:beathead: Could we give them their own little world on here even though there are many websites out there for gear guys so we dont make them feel left out?

Just my thoughts.

Clint

#4 ·
We post pictures of all sorts of stuff on here, whether is ducks, dogs, cars, boats, rod building, scenic views, fly rods, reels, fish, fly caught fish, CP caught fish, fly rod and jig caught fish, spin rod caught fish, drunk people at the hoh down, either way its not just fly caught fish on this site. I dont think we need to make rules about what kind of fish people can and cant post. But that is just my opinion, maybe its the minority.

#21 ·
No it actually isn't! If you really believe that than why fly fish at all?

Do you really think there is no difference between fly fishing and gear fishing simply because nobody can nail down exactly what it is? There definitely is a difference, that is why YOU are here!

Why is it that fly fisherman always bitch about gear fisherman, seldomly the other way around?
Jake
This is not true at all.

Gear pics on this forum are downright STUPID. :beathead:

If you guys want to "share" (brag) about your gear caught fish than go to Piscatorial Pursuits and look at Stam's gallery. Than you will realize how stupid you look. Good gear fishermen like Stam catch more steelhead in a season than most fly guys catch in a lifetime. In fact his gallery shows 20 pounder after 20 pounder, it is insane. If you want to do that than go right ahead but it isn't the same and it isn't fly fishing.

#9 ·
Clint, while I understand your aversion to gear caught fish, I wouldn't advocate a separate section for those we don't agree with. Being a C&R guy, non-hunter etc.... I don't like to see dead fish, dead fowl, dead deer etc... but that is just me.

#10 ·
I have to agree, this is a fly fishing site. Have no problems with what guys put in thier personal online albums but the gallery should be a place of honor when it comes to steelhead pics. This is out of respect for the guy who perhaps waited years to post his first fly caught steelie or the ones who may still be waiting to post their first.

James

#13 ·
Thanks guys for the comments, keep them coming. Again, I just think there are plenty of gear sites to post your pictures of gear caught fish they really dont belong here. If you really dont know of any or cant find some, send me a pm and I will steer you in the right direction.

Clint
I am a member on pretty much all sites locally regarding fishing but prefer the gallery/forums on this site due to the fact, I have been on here longer, I know more people on this site, and I generally like the feel of this site over the others. There are plenty of people that fish with both fly rod and gear on this site. I dont think its right to tell them that they cant post pics of the fish they happen to catch one week with gear versus the next week they caught with a fly rod. You dont have to look at them if you dont want to.

#14 ·
I'm not adding a section in the gallery for gear, but don't expect those on the site should have much of an issue with the occational gear photo either as it's not the norm. Haven't had much of an issue thus far with 28k photos and counting. Anymore, if you don't like a photo it'll be out of view pretty pretty quickly anyway. 33 photos uploaded today, which is more than than average given the site was offline a bit, but isn't too much more than the daily average.

Chris

#15 ·
Why is it that fly fisherman always bitch about gear fisherman, seldomly the other way around? Im not arguing as I like to come here to talk about fly fishing, I will talk about gear fishing on other sites that Im on, but to bitch about a stray pic of a gear caught steelhead once in a while? I dont make gear fishing topics but Ive posted a couple pics of steelhead caught on pins in my personal gallery, big deal. So its a different kind of rod and reel. Theres is pretty much no difference than me throwing a float and pink worm set up with my pin than one roll casting an indicator set up with splitshot tacked all over it with a glo bug, glue egg, bead....ect My jigs I tie take 10 times more effort to tie than a glo bug let alone a bead. I enjoy this site much more than others as I feel that people on here are very friendly and have a lot of knowledge to offer.

I hate discussing the whole gear vs. fly thing as its pathetic for one to steryotype one fisherman from another, we all do it for the same reason and that is to step out of reality and enjoy catching such fish that our area has to offer. I think I am done venting.....:)

Jake

#16 ·
Why is it that fly fisherman always bitch about gear fisherman, seldomly the other way around?
Jake
That's funny cuz it's true. I've found out about some secret creek stretches with piggy browns and other stuff from gear guys, locals even, that I'm sure can spot me as a wetsider from a mile away. It's funny how close-mouthed we all are about secret spots and all, and many of them seem to be like "screw it it's just fishin'." Totally unassuming about the whole thing - just different. Just an observation from a closed-mouth elitist sack o' ####. ;)

#20 ·
so if i catch a massive fish with a spinning rod and want to post a pic of it on the web would it be ok to stick a fly in its mouth. i'll promise to make it a perfect lip hook and get the lighting just right. or i'll keep it in the water for a pic then throw it in the cooler. im just kidding i don't really ever like the taste of most fish im all for catch and release.

remember to take a kid {fly} fishing :D

#22 ·
I am all catch and release for wild fish, but have been known to keep some hatchery fish since that is what they are for. I am beginning to really not like gear guys as you can tell. Here are my reasons. I think it is safe to say a lot of them snag fish illegaly. A lot being somewhere around 30%. Second, a lot of gear guys kill native steelhead (those who fish for them). Yes it is legal on some rivers to take one a year. But there is no reason for it, that is why we have hatchery fish. One of the catch reports on an OP river was 32 or 36 wild steelhead and only 8 released. That one a year adds up. And that was in one day. Just a few more reasons I dont like gear pics on a fly fishing website. Let me hear some more comments, and bash me if you wish.

Clint

#26 ·
I am all catch and release for wild fish, but have been known to keep some hatchery fish since that is what they are for. I am beginning to really not like gear guys as you can tell. Here are my reasons. I think it is safe to say a lot of them snag fish illegaly. A lot being somewhere around 30%. Second, a lot of gear guys kill native steelhead (those who fish for them). Yes it is legal on some rivers to take one a year. But there is no reason for it, that is why we have hatchery fish. One of the catch reports on an OP river was 32 or 36 wild steelhead and only 8 released. That one a year adds up. And that was in one day. Just a few more reasons I dont like gear pics on a fly fishing website. Let me hear some more comments, and bash me if you wish.

Clint
This post is down right fuckin retarded. Who are you to statistically say that gear fisherman are snaggers and kill wild fish. I can be a gear fisherman when it comes to steelhead and salmon and have you seen me bonking wild steelhead or any native fish period? I cant even begin to explain how many guys would be offended by such as dumb statement. Wasnt it a spey fisherman who just bonked the 30lber on the Hoh, guy gears alright. I could go on much more but Im not even going to waste my time.

#24 ·
Jason, I have seen Stam's gallery. It is indeed damn impressive as are many photos on Piscatorial Pursuits. However you cant use just one person to describe the success of all steelhead fisherman who use gear. That would be like comparing me to Jim Teeney or many other experiance steelhead fly fisherman even on this site. Stam and others on PP know what they are doing and are good at it, case closed. Dont think for a second that gear fisherman dont work hard for fish.
Do fly fisherman work harder, they can if they want or they can peg beads or tie on a glue egg with splitshot. Ive walked miles upon miles of river this year fishing steelhead with a gear set ups and fly rods and have been rewarded with a hook up or two if Im lucky. It all depends on one's knowledge of fishing for steelhead.

Im not saying lets open up gear fishing a lot more into this forum but 1 pic of a gear caught fish out of 150 fly caught fish isnt gonna kill you and if it does....then dont look at it.

Jake

#27 ·
I think it is safe to say gear guys are more after bragging rights while fly fishermen are after personal fulfillment. SP? My comparison for most gear guys is like high school girls, it about who looks the best and who is the coolest. While fly fishermen could really care less about it.

I like hearing all your oppinions. For the records I am talking in general. Salmon steelhead everything.

Clint

#33 ·
"gear guys are like high school girls, it abouts who looks the best and who is the coolest." Are you serious? So thats why its usually the fly guys I see wearing the Simms waders with $600 Sage rods and $70 lines. Im out there for the same reason as you Clint, to enjoy my time and the water and chase fish. You can assume whatever the hell you want as long as it makes you feel better then maybe thats best as you obviously dont know your facts. If you think I bush beat my way through the OP just to find a small piece of unmolested steelhead water to "get bragging rights" than that just shows your lack of knowledge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.