Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFR: How do you pack your firearm when fishing?

24K views 205 replies 54 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
NFR: How do you Conceal your firearm when fishing?

For those of you who CONCEAL heat, what is the most effective way to carry in waders,vest,etc?

I've seen pictures of dudes with chest holsters for their 44mag in AK, but how bout here in Washington?

Pics would be a plus!

Thanks! :thumb:

#63 ·
Coach Duff, you are a little off topic man. You have decent points, but Peter Pancho, asked for good ways to carry a cancealed weapon. That means holsters, carry positions and so on. Not about reasons to shoot people or what peoples opinions on firearms were.
It is ignorant to assume that everyone who wants to carry a firearm dreams of being "Rambo" or something, that just insults peoples inteligance, hence putting them on the defensive. That means they are less likely to listen to the good points you bring up.

#64 ·
thats sort of a confused position, as-i-am. why would you be carrying a firearm in the first place if your intention was not to use it? coach has raised the significant issues that surround anyone's decision to carry and the physical training, legal ramifications not to mention the psychological fall out that will last a lifetime. coach has obviously BTDT, the points he raises need careful thoughful consideration as simply getting a CCP is the easy part.

#75 ·
I have no good answer for you coach. I have thought about taking a gun along fishing and in fact have but mostly to blow up tree stumps or kill defenseless little critters. After thinking about why I would need one I figured the threat isn't there and if it were, one hand gun ain't going to get it done.

I have fished with guys in Alaska that brought a hand gun along. Usually carried in the open on the hip and thought it was a good thing. At least for me. While they are shooting at a bear and pissing him off. I figure the bear is going to concentrate on them while I get my ass out of the area.

Have I thought it through from a tactical, psychological or fuctional standpoint? Hardly, but I have looked at this using some common sense and packing a gun into the woods for anything other than hunting or targit shooting doesn't make any.

#74 ·
For Liability reasons "like duffer said" i would not conceal a backwoods pistol.

*ANOTHER THING* and this is just my opinion, but if a man is carrying a "tactical" self defense pistol, like an HK, or, glock, or any other pistol serviced by military or law enforcement, it can, and probbaly will be "misinterperated" if you have to use it.

What I am saying is, if i am carrying my HK USP.40 with a flashlight mount in a tactical holster ect, and I shoot someone I may be looked at differently than If i am carrying a .454 cassul ruger revolver in a non concealed "backwoods" holster.

it sounds silly, cause clearly, the revolver is a much more "savage" wound to an individual, but it is much more PC to knock a mans arm off with a .454 than to injure somebody with a tactical weapon.

#77 ·
I once got told that I could not eat in an open mess while armed and providing security for those entrusted to me. The complaintant stated they felt intimidated and scared in the close proximity of handguns. I thought that was a bunch of shit.

Sorry off track.

#79 ·
Your interpretation of the law is incorrect, you have never even tried to wear a firearm in the open it shows and it is obvious. I have never been harrassed in any way wearing a firearm in the woods (where all of you claim to be digging deep into while flyfishing). I quit my gun ownership and carrying many years ago, (but have nothing against any of it if there is some kind of intelligence or foresight put into it.) I do have something against complete untrained, dumbasses carrying "HEAT" as you call it around me on flyfising rivers. Number one I don't trust most of your interpretations into why and where you need deadly force and over the years have found more concealed carry BUBBAS to really be pussies and insecure little boys. The gun is simply an extension of their physical, social and communication imperfections which we all possess. I also know some damn fine well trained concealed carry folks who know when and whey they are carrying and I respect them 100%. It 's an American right. You have taken this personally which lends to good comedy. So someone else.......... Why concealed? Is it tactical, functional, or because you don't want to deal with all of the laughing and people calling you a dumbshit because you are wearing a gun in a tac holster ready for combat on a flyfishing river in Washington state. You will never get to the concealed weapon especially if it is in your waders if you are actually stalked and attacked so why wear it around? Now a cross draw Tac Holster makes a small bit of sense and you can change the tension holding the gun in so it can be secure as you rock hop or wade a little deeper here or there or when you are getting ready to "pop a cap in the ass":rolleyes: of that next asshole you low holes you:D you are ready for battle. But since a shitty unathletic man can cover 21 feet in less than a second in a half, it's going to be tough to pull that baby out with a cross draw aint it Cowboys. But from a tactical and common sense standpoint, since all of you hike so far into meth lab, moonshine, weed plant and man eating bear country, (have seen one long abandoned still, some maybe shitty old meth labs, and a half dozen black bear flyfishing and elk hunting all over the state deep into the woods) wearing a tack holster on the leg makes the most sense. Get rid of the 9MM, get into the 230 grain 850 feet per second world and learn a whole bunch about weapons retention tecniques Rambos.
Okay, back to the holster question? Why concealed?

PS And there are weapons today you could wade wet all day submerged, and it would function perfectly when drawn. Us Force Recon Marines and SEALs know this full on. So wet wading is not a solid answer. Gentlemen you are claiming that this holster selection is a life support system based decision.........

Why concealed?

Oh and since we are preparing for flyfishing and firefights, the next issue is those damn heavy cumbersome magazines full of ammo, which all of us gun slingers know we are going to need at least 3 of if we really think there is a threat where we are flyfishing. And where do we carry those?

#81 ·
7 Years in 2nd Force Recon
5 years in JTF hostage rescue teams during which we averaged thousands of rounds a day
Graduate of 7 JSOC shooting packages, and the only Force Recon Marine (2nd Force) to shoot a perfect 500 11 times on JSOC qual course in full combat equipement and gas mask
25 months in Direct Action role in combat zones
Hand picked by Charles Beckworth founder of Delta Force to be combat pistol demonstrater on National Geographic "World of Valor" TV show showcasing Force Recon. Find a copy I work over the steel targets n full black gear with a stocking cap on.
Chosen to instruct the Saudi, Omani and Quatar special forces on combat handgunning.
Gun site graduate
BSR graduate
SFARTAC graduate

Now that we have compared dick size:rolleyes: (neither of us can get a cup of coffee with our amazing "credentials") do either of us fall into the catagory of those whose intentions I question about carrying concealed weapons in flyfishing rivers? But you seem to be as insecure and as offended as the next rookie. So answer the question like you actually understand combat handgunning. So why a concealed holster inside your waders in this supposed high threat environment?

#94 ·
7 Years in 2nd Force Recon
5 years in JTF hostage rescue teams during which we averaged thousands of rounds a day
Graduate of 7 JSOC shooting packages, and the only Force Recon Marine (2nd Force) to shoot a perfect 500 11 times on JSOC qual course in full combat equipement and gas mask
Hand picked by Charles Beckworth founder of Delta Force to be combat pistol demonstrater on National Geographic "World of Valor" TV show showcasing Force Recon. Find a copy I work over the steel targets n full black gear with a stocking cap on.
Chosen to instruct the Saudi, Omani and Quatar special forces on combat handgunning.
Gun site graduate
BSR graduate
SFARTAC graduate
INSECURE BLOWHARD THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ACTUALLY HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THE AFOREMENTIONED AND SEMI PRO INTERNET BULLY THAT APPARENTLY HASN'T BOOKED A TRIP FOR IN A FEW DAYS, PROBABLY BECAUSE MY MOUTH HAS OVERRUN MY ABILITIES AND I PISS PEOPLE OFF WHO HAVE NEVER MET ME.
THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS!
DID I MENTION MY COASTGUARD 25TON LICENSE?
YOU BETTER BE IMPRESSED!

Now that we have compared dick size:rolleyes: (neither of us can get a cup of coffee with our amazing "credentials") do either of us fall into the catagory of those whose intentions I question about carrying concealed weapons in flyfishing rivers? But you seem to be as insecure and as offended as the next rookie. So answer the question like you actually understand combat handgunning. So why a concealed holster inside your waders in this supposed high threat environment?
There, fixed it for ya!
If necessary, and I'm afraid it is, I will spell out in my original post, where I SPECIFICALLY DON'T CARRY CONCEALED UNLESS MOUTHY, INSECURE 'EXPERTS' ARE LIKELY TO BE FOUND.

#83 ·
Coach Duff,

Damn you talk a lot. I really think your are seriously in need of some help. Now I know I am going to get blasted for this but I for one am tired of reading your crap. Are you serious?
I have to believe that some where in your training you were taught some discipline. Not all of us are idiots as you seem to think we are. Some of us are just average people, professional people and believe it or not have had some training like you have but dude you are lacking something. To use the term I'm sure your familiar with you need some RR. Coach your line is way to tight.

#85 ·
Coach Duff, I already answered your question. I see age has deteriorated your brain in the area of reading comprehension. I suggest you actually go and look up the law I quoted (RCW 9.41.270). If you are still confused call a local Sheriffs Office (Washington State is the area you are looking for), or ask a lawyer. Could your lack of being able to understand the law be the reason behind you not choosing to carry a firearm? Yes, we all know carrying a gun in the open is more efficient then having it wrapped up under clothing, I’m glad you are here to inform us of it, though I do believe the OP asked about concealed holsters. I would also like to thank you for reiterating the fact that for every responsible individual who carries a firearm, there is at least a 100 (this is a made up number off of the top of my head) irresponsible idiots doing the same thing. Oh, on a side note, look up some history about the open carry law, the restriction I mentioned is one that is modeled after one that California put into play. It was a court decision in 1969, which revolved around the “black panthers” showing up to court with rifles (this is a really brief overview).

Here is your answer about when to use deadly force; RCW 9A.16.020; this section covers situations where it is not unlawful to use deadly force. Yes you are going to have to look this up and read it. Advil now or later?

#86 ·
This thread should stop right here, "As I am" shut your mouth and realize that the only reason we are allowed to have this convorsation openly and freely, the reason we are both allowed to carry, and the reason I am allowed to call you a douche is because of people like Coach Duff, People who dont give a rip how many plinking championships you won.

#89 ·
Well I guess since we are measuring size I'll contribute.

4 years USMC-2nd battalion 7th marines Company G 3rd platoon
(2 yrs as a machine gunner (M249)/ 2yrs as a unit leader)
CAP platoon- instructed Iraqi soldiers in urban combat, Patrol tactics, and marksmanship
Trained in guerrilla warfare tactics
Lead approximately 150+ combat patrols, participated in more.
2 years associates degree in Criminal Justice (hence why I know I'm correct on my interpretations of the law).

Yup, guess I measure up pretty short.

Wow, thanks for the insight buddy:beathead:

#88 ·
I too can see both sides. But, there does seem to be a bit of extremist reaction... I don't think that the majority of concealed weapons carriers are anywhere near being classified as "Rambo's". In fact, to me it seems the opposite is true - most do their damned best to keep their "status" as confidential as possible. How does having the desire to exercise a concealed carry status turn one into a "Rambo"?!

And, from some of the comments here, am I to believe that no one, excepting for LE's and ex-military personnel, can, are, or have been able to rightfully and successfully defend themselves with a concealed handgun?! That is in fact the impression that seems to want to be pushed. As for the "hassles" that may occur with shooting another person in self defense - what about that small detail - the possible alternative of one's own death if you in fact don't have the option for self defense?!

#90 ·
LOL then thank you too! Youre both a couple of assholes. Now Can we have a beer?

I was never in the military, but I was a bouncer at one point, and I have a purple belt in "rex kwon do" so its on me

#92 ·
While we are off subject.
This is what I believe.
We all, everyone of us (boys and girls) Americans should be firearm trained from first grade on and that training should continue until our military obligation has passed.
After that you can hangup our guns and be a passive fly caster if you want.
Here is the reason I believe this.
Without the training the tool (gun) can be and is a danger to the handler and to anyone down range.
It is nice to live in a country that has the right to keep and bare arms but I have seen what a firearm in the hands of the untrained can do. Not pretty!
Just my .02

#95 ·
I don't believe I've ever carried a firearm while fishing. I can understand carrying a firearm in Alaska as a protection against Brown Bears but why when fishing here in the lower 48?

I was raised on a farm in very rural Eastern Oregon. I learned to shoot when I was six or seven years of age. I served my country in the military and qualified expert on the M-14 and M-16. I have enjoyed bird hunting and deer hunting over the years. So I am not anti-firearms, but why would you carry a firearm while fishing just doesn't make sense to me.

Keith

#96 ·
I carry my gun in my teeth just because it looks so effing butch. I keep my flash light in my gun hand so if I see my shadow, I can poke a hole in that SOB too!

I'm not a tough guy like in the posts above, but like my father in WWII, I spent 3 years in the marines, 13 months in Viet Nam (68-69, two Tet Offensives) 6 months as an MP, and have fired about every type of weapon you've seen in the movies, both on the range, and on the job.

When we got home we both stopped owning weapons designed to shoot people with. I'm not anti gun, just anti gun nut. It does not make me feel secure knowing that anyone with a credit card can be packing arms that they were never taught the discipline to operate when frightened.

#100 ·
Coach - Those are some impressive credentials. You are clearly the biggest dick here. :) Kidding, I would love to spend an afternoon on your flats boat shooting the shit, fishing, and just maybe having a soda. Serious thankyou for your service.
To JC, As I am, and every other service guy too. It's thanks to your sacrifice that we even have the choice to carry. Yes, the constitution recognized (not gave) that right, but it's a continuous struggle to keep it.

I've focused my 2 or 3 posts here on the responsibility issue. I don't give a rats ass if someone carries, as long as they know the laws, are reasonably proficient with their carry, and are sane. Irresponsible behavior will lead to tragedy (as Coach says, at both ends of the barrel) AND provide certain lawmakers cannon fodder. Not to be a paranoid gun nut, but you KNOW that Feinstein and company are in full huddle mode, laying the groundwork for "anti" something legislation. I'm guessing they'll trot something out in 6 months or so. All they need are a few incidents to point at to justify their argument. Part of our "responsibility" is to each other (and our heirs) to do our part to prevent this from happening.

I grew up here and have spent many days hiking and fishing in the Cascades and Olympics. Never once did I feel the need for a firearm. But, in recent years there have been a growing number of assaults on innocent people. Most certainly will remember the librarian murdered near Verlot a year or so back. I don't know if many poachers "pack heat" but I am certain of their lack of integrity and therefore would be wary in their presence. Fact is, it's not the same world I grew up in. I have never carried while fishing, and may never. But I may someday and I'm happy to have the choice.
Pack if you want but please, be smart about it.

Cup - Well put. Most folks get weird if they know you're packing. Why bother.

#101 ·
At the risk of moving this away from people's resumes, a lot of people have them, I wonder how many people you see on the River or even on the Street are carrying a concealed firearm?

Isn't that one of the points? If anybody could have one than everybody has one to a perp.

But seriously, never mind, this has gone past serious. :rofl:

Reminds me of another story. About 20 years ago a Bank in Gig Harbor was robbed. On a follow up interview an FBI Agent from Tacoma went back to interview a Teller. It was a hot day and he didn't want to wear his sidearm or his handcuff so he put both in his briefcase.

As he walked into the Bank he walked in on another holdup. He wasn't noticed by the perp and as he tried to figure out how to get his pistol out of his briefcase one of the Teller's did notice him and said, "Do something, you're and FBI Agent!"

It was downhill from there. The Bank robber got the money, about $20,000 if I remember, and the Agents briefcase and gun. He left the handcuffs, attached to the Agent's wrists.

The Perp was caught later that day at SeaTac, trying to Board a plane to San Francisco. It was a tip from a Furrier in Tacoma about a Gent who walked in and bought a full length Beaver Coat and paid in money that still had the Bank wrappers on it that did him in. I will leave it to you to figure out who and why anyone would interrupt their getaway to buy a full length Fur Coat.

The pistol was never recovered. The Perp claimed to have tossed it out of his car from the Narrows Bridge. He was carrying the Agents briefcase when arrested.

#105 ·
But seriously, never mind, this has gone past serious. :rofl:
I beg to differ, it's a serious enough topic.
Some have answered Peter's question directly.
As important, the conversation has meandered along the way. That's not a terrible thing. Imagine we're sitting around a campfire, or in your living room, you know, conversing. Someone asks a question and after a few minutes, the conversation evolves. Same thing here. I'd hope to curb the mean spirited FYs but all in all, there have been some serious opinions offered. Some food for thought. A different view.
Of course, most of you are BLIND, but that's OK.

Funny story BTW. Hadn't heard it before.

#102 ·
I have no military credentials. I only carry on one section of the Spokane. Why? Because there are folks down there who can't be trusted to mind their manners. Why don't I fish somewhere else? Why should I? I do avoid going there in the evenings, and I will never be walking out of there when the light is gone.

I conceal it so I don't scare the ladies walking their dogs.

I think I'm realistic in thinking that the opportunity to pull it when needed might not happen. But it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Didn't used to carry ever, then some friends got assaulted after pulling out their raft at a take out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.