Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yakima Summer Stone and/or Terrestial Swap

Swap 
16K views 213 replies 10 participants last post by  Steelhead 
#1 ·
The flies that you throw under tree limbs on a 90 deg day that make a big "splat", that could float a downrigger ball. Doesn't have to be a Stone or hopper, but the inbetween flies that could represent anything that would fall out of the brush. Examples: Madam X, chernobyl, turners bank robber, etc....Basically rubber legs, foam, deer and elk hair stuff. Also, I have read the complaints about people not getting thier flies back, so here is my solution: If you send me $5, I will UPS your flies to you and PM you the tracking number, so there will be no "lost in the mail" issues. Im thinking 12 persons max, since these are not quick to tie. April 25th deadline. If I get all the flies by the 25th, I will ship on the 27th, and PM you your tracking numbers that evening.
Anyone interested?

Thanks,
Jason

1. Jason (ozcast) - Bullet head summer stone (tan)
2. Kim Ferris - Recvd
3. CLO - foam hopper - Recvd
4. Sean K - Stimulator - Recvd
5. Mumbles - Brown foam hopper - Recvd.
6. P.E.I Fish Finder - Black Beetle - Recvd.
7. PEI. Salar.Salmo - Yellow Sally - out
8. Colton Rogers - Recvd.
9. Arthur - Chernobyl - Recvd.

See less See more
#32 ·
Oz, they are not that good, for heavens sake, I tied them. I found them to be a fun alternative to what I had been tying and everything seemed to go well. Look again and you will find differences in leg lengths wrap angles and even foam colors...but the fish won't care! I told you I had a good couple of days on the vice. I almost sent in an extra batch of green ones...but kept them for myself! I've never caught a brown. Will these work?

#33 ·
These will indeed work for browns, if you find one willing to come up. ... and if one is willing to look up, your hopper will be the ticket. I really want to try them with a "twitch". Can wait until hopper season! Tyers are thier own worst critics. Just trust me Mumbles...they rock!

#34 ·
PEI's , your in. Thank you for joining. I will PM you the ship to. Cant wait to see what you come up with. Sally's and Beetles are a couple summer staples for me.....Im really getting jazzed up now. All we need is decent weather...almost 20deg below normal. --lame--

#35 ·
So whats the deal with not many people getting in on this swap? Com'on people as stated before "big flys big fish on top" theres nothing more exciting. Anyways, Ozcast if i'm not mistaken Mumbles tied up twelve flys even though there arn't that many people sighned up yet so i'll do the same. If twelve people join then fine, if not you can just keep whats remaining or whatever you would like. I should have the flys out some time next week I ran out of hooks thats the hold up sry.

#38 ·
I can tell but hey big bugs are awsome. I've caught tons of big trout on big flys. (tons on little flys also but big floating flys are way cooler) And as for mumbels question about the browns YES these flys will catch browns for sure. I would say 70% of the trout I have caught have been browns.

#37 ·
I may never produce a set of flies as well crafted as these hoppers. Get in on this one now and stop being a freaking puss. Tie up some meaty morsels and get in on this. So many tyers have already sent theirs in or are well underway...no worries about slackers here. Come on, foam comes in such bright colors, rubber legs are super twitchy and them big-uns seem to like them...not that I know, but I've been working hard to get ready for some Browns.

#39 ·
Big Bugs are awsome! This swap has me daydreaming about undercut banks, and over hung trees. I wish Brown trout were not such a long drive for me. The Yak is only 2 hrs away with pleanty of decent fish though....and tons of big dry fly water. This summer I will go further east to get into some greman territory. Not sure where yet.

#40 ·
Okay, I'll tell you that the all foam and rubber legs are much easier than the "traditionals" that I tied (see thread about fly boxes). The foam took a stretch and shape well. You be the judge and then get your ass in this swap. Show me what else I need in my box for some monster trout.

Attachments

#42 ·
What, dorky looking avatar fisherman who goes by an assumed name a liar? You must be joking! Actually these hoppers were one of the lesser complicated patterns. The ones with wings, hair and bullet heads are a heck of a lot harder to tie. That is why you got the nice but easier ones.

#44 ·
The legs were a pain until after a few prototypes. Then I tied them all up like an assembly line. Single strand knotless up front. Single strand knee knot middle. Full strand and half strand (thigh side) with knee knot rear. Tie them first. Then tie them in and trim from the body's side not the end. A different approach that someone had told me. That was great advice.

#47 ·
Here is something I came up with (Probly done before) as I tied it. I will refine it. - the Hackle. And I will reduce the underwing. It will be a tied on a Tiemco 200R #8 or #10. What do you think? Now I want to you to be brutely honest because thats how I will learn. I find when someone points out details I overlooked, the Next one comes of better. Look for proportions, color, ect. Is this close to a Yakima Yellow Sally? And I promise it will be cleaner tied when they go to you.

Yellow Sally - Side View

Yellow Sally - Top View

Yellow Sally - Fishes View

Thanks, Nic

#49 ·
Most of my flies suck. I found a pattern I can tie. It is big material, easy to use material and beats the hell out of tying tiny dries. That is why everyone should get in on this swap. Could be the rare time I offer a fly that will both catch the fisherman and the fish.

#50 ·
i tied this fly in two sitting. once this morning because i got up at 5:45 and it was late start for school :mad: and then when i finished my homework. the head is clipped down tight b/c of all the foam and it should float the head plenty well because it is spun antelope, and i used the base of the fur not the tips (hollower)

critism is highly regarded, just not on my picture taking skills this is a fly fishing forum
it is tied on a big size 2 just because i was taking pics

Attachments

#51 ·
Nic and Colton, nice looking flies. I'll take a half dozen each! The photos are not super clear, but mine never are either. I barely can use my simple point and shoot digital so whatever it gives me I take.

Colton, for your hopper my only recommendation would be to move your leg sets back one body segment. Rather than have the first set of legs coming out of the head like what I think is referred to as a skwala pattern, move the first set back to behind the head. Nice hind legs, is that double thigh material for some big beefy hopper hopping legs? Is spun antelope much different to work with than deer? I've only spun deer and elk so far in my tying attempts.

Nic, I've only used small versions of a yellow sally like that, I'm liking the BIG option. Did you clip away the hackle on the top portion of the body or leave it there to help elevate the wing? I can't quite tell from the photo.

Did either of you guys glue your hook shank? I liked how my prototypes wrapped with the thread, but I could turn them with force so for my production versions I applied a bit of glue to attempt to hold them true to shape and keep the hook down and body up.

#52 ·
mumbles,

i will move the legs back, i didn't even know that the legs comming from the head was a skwala type of thing:hmmm:. the hind legs are pheasant tail knotted to make the joint and that is hell to do by hand :D. antelope is so hollow that it is very easy to spin, 1 loose wrap and 1 tight one and it goes all the way around. it is very brittle though so you really cut it to make a muddler style head with a collar. i don't even know where to buy antelope shop wise. i got mine from our taxidermist FREE:D. he gave me to different colors light dun and bleached kind of and ive been trying to find patterns for it. i just went to a retention pond by my house to cats it out and well, i was using a 5 wt wf floating line and i could cast it about 30 ft. agian though it was on a size 2 stainless steel hook. even though SS is less dense then bronze i think i will call this fly the titanic because it is big and it sinks like a rock

not many tight lines with this fly in the future-back to the desk:mad:

#62 ·
i don't even know where to buy antelope shop wise. i got mine from our taxidermist FREE:D. he gave me to different colors light dun and bleached kind of and ive been trying to find patterns for it.
You can get Antelope from sportsmans warehouse I found some there today, but they had only one pack left. It was rediculous I went there to buy only for some more hooks and walked out $150 dollars poorer thanks to more tying materials.

#53 ·
That sank? More layers of foam perhaps? Looks like it would float. I'm not sure that the head legs and skwala are correctly connected by me. It is just what I think. Maybe another layer of foam below will do the trick. Knotted pheasant tail, I've see that in shops. Good reminder. Good luck (but a glass of water will float test it...not all flies have to be cast tested into a retaining pond)

#55 ·
PEI...very nice sally...I would go with a size 10. Colton..there is no reason you shouldnt join this swap...I would throw that in a heart beat. If it sinks it could be a good "drowned" hopper pattern. I dont know if the antolope is so hollow that it would suck up water? Maybe thats why it sank though. Did it float at first, then start to sink after it got wet?

#57 ·
Hey, Mumbles on that pattern I pulled the foam over for a bad then segmented. I'm just going to throw out the suggestion that If we do get anymore people to join, why not tie 14 (2 Sets of 7, so you get 2 of each pattern)? Let me know what you think.

Nic

#59 ·
I'm headed out of town. I sent Sean K a dozen. If we go more than that then I'm FUBAR. I'm frantically packing my gear while posting with my typing feet.

Colton, big bugs don't need big hooks, big fish have big mouths...check your avatar! Come on boy genius, you are perfectly capable of tying up some nice bugs here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.