Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Poor eastside steelhead rivers.

12K views 105 replies 51 participants last post by  Ernie Adams 
#1 ·
Their niave, rustic, innocent little bodies of water never stood a chance :(

#53 ·
Since I didn't fish the Methow the last two years of well above average returns, I thought it was about average the last few days. As a westsider who's beginning to get used to catching the skunk, I found the catch rate satisfying. A lot of fishing pressure though. Funny thing is, I had my best results in an area that gets absolutely pounded all day long. I had to wait for two other anglers to work through it before I could fish and hook four. I believe in odds and percentages, but sometimes there's no logic to steelheading.

Sg

#66 ·
Great thread, I enjoy all the wonderfully insightful messages. Thank you Eastside rivers! By the way I'm a visual guy and the times I've hooked fish at the end of a drift or when I've turned my back to my indicator, I've always been a bit bummed that I didn't get to see it go under. So for those of you who still use the whole argument that everyone would prefer to catch a fish swinging, please give it up, please? I will not begrudge the fact that you enjoy a good tug, I prefer a peep show.

Ira..

#68 ·
I'm begging to think you guys don't actually fish for steelhead, but rather just whine about not getting out. I know most of you guys here could out fish me hands down. I've only been out twice this year, went 3 for 5 on the first trip and 3 for 10 on the second. If there's a steelie in the run, it can be caught. Come on guys, if I can catch them I KNOW you can.

#73 ·
... I thought we were talking about whitefish. Who the hell wants to fish for them damn ole over grown trout. Damn things mess up my whitefish fishing.
Dude, you'd better check the regs. I could be wrong but I think whitefish doesn't open 'til Dec 1. Geez, people poaching our wild, native whitefish! What will it be next?! Our native pikeminnow? Is nothing sacred anymore?

#78 ·
The best one (and I witnessed this personally) was The sudden lack to speak English. No lie, I was talking to a guy explaining he can't use bait (he was speaking perfect English). When the officer showed up, all of a sudden he couldn't "understand" what the patrolman was saying.

#81 ·
While this thread may be two years old, the situation is still the same. A growing population and decreased fishing opportunity will mean crowded rivers well into the future. While driving home from my third trip in three years to northern BC to fish steelhead, I came to the conclusion that I really have no desire anymore to fish rivers like the Sky, Cow, or even my beloved Skagit. The appeal just isn't there anymore, especially after spending a week in BC. However, I still have a great desire to fish the eastside rivers for summer steelhead.

#85 ·
The river I fished had very wobbly rocks. Not too slick, just so many were unstable. Did nymph, swing and skate. Made lots of casts and got to hear my drag make some noise. If they keep putting hatchery fish into them we all have a duty to behave ourselves and bonk them before they deposit their DNA into the gravel.

#86 ·
cmon guys is there really a river that does not get fished hard if we want to blame any one for the crowds on our local rivers lets blame our local shops posting on there web pages and GUIDES taking new comers fishing, people pay for 1 or 2 trips and then they take all there friends and use every tactic they have learned from the guide its the nature of the beast we all learned from someone else some showed each of us how at some point. The rivers will always have pressure but its the guy who knows and i mean really knows the water that will bring more chrome to the net.

#93 ·
I was the recipient of some interesting information. I'd like to flame on about it because being misled, or worse, really seems unnecessary. Funny thing, I like the guy and those in his circle. I guess I've done him wrong somehow for him to send me on a wild steelchase.

#95 ·
No Methow, I did not give myself information about a location I had not actually fished, but someone did. 'Nuff said online. Will make for a funny story around a campfire or lodge table about a funny one being pulled on the Mumbler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.