Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Two Handed Gathering on the Beach

6K views 63 replies 22 participants last post by  Bob Jones 
#1 ·
In another thread the idea of getting some folks interested in using two handers (spey or switch rods) from the beach together. After a few recommendations it was decided to gather at Lions Field Park in Bremerton Washington. The address is 408 Lebo Boulevard, Bremerton WA. Below are three maps of various zoom levels to use as a reference to get you there. You can also mapquest turn by turn directions yourself or use your Gar-Tom-Gellan navigational device if you need one.

Who: Anyone who wants to come, bring a two handed rod, spey or switch (single handers are not excluded, if that is what you have, roll with it and maybe test fly someone's toy)
What: Two handed gathering on the beach
When: Friday December 4th, 2009
Where: Lions Field Park Waterfront
What Time: Show up at 10am and we'll stay a while.
Why: Try out some two handed overhead casting techniques, and maybe some toys shared and compared. Size does not matter, all rods can be two handed overhead cast.

Lions is within a short drive of the Bremerton Ferry. Anyone driving on the Bainbridge Island or Kingston Ferry runs will have about a 20-25 minute drive from ferry landing to the Lions Field Park. If you need more information on how to get there or anything else send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer your ???'s.

If you are motivated to bring toys to share, food or beverages to share let it be known. This can be a simple day on the beach with others or more of a festive outing, totally up to each of you. If you are coming, post it here. If you are bringing gear to share, post it here. If you are bringing something to eat/drink and share, post it here. See you all next week.

Particulars about the park:
* 15 acres
* 1,950 linear feet of shoreline
* 4 ballfields, 2 lighted
* Walking path
* 12 picnic tables
* Covered picnic shelter
* 7 park benches
* 2 restrooms
* Boat launch
* 150 parking spaces
* Large waterfront dock

Tides: 13' HIGH at 7:15am 7'11" LOW at 12:40pm This will give us some challenges with the high tide level. There are some trees to our backs but there are ample gaps to lay out a backcast. This tide cycle is not one of the greater pushers of water. Lions Field sees water movement that is "walking pace" many days throughout the year, that is why people go there to cast in this urban "river".

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-X9Nv
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-7j5Tn8pVaJGJPD5e
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-Th3pVuBQi_9SkLTu

See less See more
#3 ·
All, I'll be bringing a TFO Deer Creek 8wt switch with the lines I've used this summer on the beach. I will probably bring my Orvis 117-4 and maybe a lighter switch or spey Z-Axis. Whatever rods I bring I'll have my right handed retrieve reels and various skagit and scandi heads.

I can't get the images from mapquest to load showing the detail I want. I'll work on converting them and adding them to the opening post of the thread as soon as I can. Until then you can use google or map quest with the above address and see where to be.

#5 ·
I'll be there.
--I'll drop down to the Tacoma Mall from Browns Point before going across the bridge and grab some Krispy Kremes plus a box of their coffee. Actually the coffee is better than the doughnuts. Hopefully it will still be hot/warm by the time I get there.
--Also I'll have my Meiser 11' Switch with me. Anyone is more than welcome to give it a try especially if they show me how to overhead the thing. I can't seem to tighten the loops for some reason.

Should be fun.
Kim

#7 ·
Old Man Jim, bite me!:D
Larry, come on out. I'm no hotshot, but I can overhead out more line with the switch than I can get out with a single hander. Kim, I'll show you what I do. It ain't pretty but it gets line out. If Matt Burke shows up we'll be in for a show. From what I've heard he is the two handed overhead casting guru.

#12 ·
I'll be there and looking forrward to it. I'll have my single hand rod I've used at the beach and my new spey, cabelas 14 ft that I haven't used yet. I'll also bring a couple dozen donuts and a couple thermos' of coffee. I can't help but learn something. Bob

#13 ·
Ed I haven't been out on the salt for months!
Since I have Friday's off and i've never fished your side of the pond this is an offer I can't refuse...
I'll be bringing my 9' VT2 7wt with both a RIO clear intermediate and floating setup in the event that Leland starts up a surface frenzy :^)
And I can pick up some bagels somewhere for those who aren't into donuts..

Richard

#15 ·
I think that I'm going to head over. Not 100% sure what I'll bring besides my 5wt switch. I'll probably head over to Batson's and maybe Sage while I'm over there too. :thumb:

G
#17 ·
So if you were coming from up north would you take a ferry over and if so which one?

Would like to make this but not sure if I can make it down in time....

also want to get the skunk off my back from my last couple trips to the T

#18 ·
If I were coming from Blaine I'd take the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston. Exit the ferry on 104/307 and when 104 turns toward Port Gamble/Hood Canal Bridge stay straight on 307. Take 307 to 305, turn right. Take 305 to 3 South. Map should show you the rest. If you need more detail, let me know. I think that ferry lets you skip the Seattle downtown traffic and gets you off of I-5 the fastest.

#19 ·
I may be able to attend and would be happy to carpool from the Edmonds ferry terminal.

FYI, There's very little wait for Friday Edmonds-Kingston ferries between 10am and 3pm now that tourist traffic has died down. Arriving 10-15 minutes before the boat leaves (often leaves late) is usually sufficient.

#20 ·
Well i'm a sight for sore eyes...

Come home from work to find out from my wife about the reminder message for my 9:00 eye appointment Friday morning that I forgot about. bawling:

Since i'm going to be lounging out at the homestead until my dilated eyes normalize, I want to hear some good reports Friday afternoon from you all..

Richard

#21 ·
Dude, the eyedoctor called. He's attending a two handed gathering on a beach and will have to reschedule for three weeks from this Friday. You can call and confirm or just call and reschedule. You don't want him monkeying with your eyes while he is covered in salt water and flinging flies around do you?

#26 ·
Today my POS Pathfinder got towed to the shop from the side of the highway on my commute in to my cubicle. Tentative for me to still be in attendance on Friday based on shuffled priorities, sorry. I might be able to benefit from a ride if anyone has some spare time/room for me and the gear I was planning on bringing along to use and for others to use. I hope that I can take care of all this before Friday and still attend myself. If not you can post photos and rub it in my face!

#27 ·
Mumbles you have to be there I want to meet you. The man who has everythiing and can do everything, and just started fishing recently from what I under stand. Actually I'd be glad to pick you up but I think you're maybe too far on the wrong side of Bremerton from me. It's hard 'to tell from here where this clear cut is hiding that you live in. Bob

#30 ·
Guys, plan on going! I plan on going if my truck is out of the shop. Maybe only a blown radiator and thermostat. I'll gladly take a ride, thank you for the offers, but only if my truck is still MIA and you are coming via the Edmonds to Kingston ferry. I live about 12 minutes NNW of the Kingston ferry terminal. Leland, Bob and Kim, thank you all but picking me up would be almost an hour out of your way to pick me up and another hour to get to the beach. I'm hoping for a resolved problem by this time tomorrow evening!

#31 ·
Ed, I'd be honored to accompany you to the clave if you'll let me bunk on the floor Thursday nite. I figure if the pass gods let me pass over Thursday after work, I'll catch the ferry and be there whenever. Clave during the day..head back over the pass that afternoon for the Red's function in the canyon on Saturday. Sounds like a hell of a weekend..screw laundry and dishes.
Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.