Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Why are swirch rods so expensive?

Spey 
2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Dave Henry 
#1 ·
I was looking into the echo series line of rods. I noticed that the switch rods were as much or more then there spey rods. Why is this?? They are smaller in blank length and cork handle. Doesn't seem right.Any thoughts??

#2 ·
Thoughts might be that the spey rod technology over the length of those rods have been pretty well established. Research and development of switch rods might be a newer middle of the road line, not just a short spey rod, not just a long single handed rod. To get the right intended performance it might have taken more cost in design of tapers and of course new marketing to try to get all or some of us interested in this niche type of rod.

#9 ·
because the people who make them, design them, put out their own money to even pursue making them are worth something...

when someone complains about the price of something like a fishing rod or a reel etc. They are in essence saying that the people who are employed by the making of said product are of little value..

I'll keep this in mind when i complain about the prices of certain things.. :)

#12 ·
IMHO
It is simple you get what you pay for.
Carbon Fiber and the better quality of the Carbon ( how pure it is ) add to the price.
Also you are paying for the research and development of the product.
Then you must take into consideration the small market that the Switch rod holds.

" The total of all the "Spey" is less than 2% of the total flyfishing market."

A small niche market Such As "Spey' and relatively part of the Market the Switch rod hold makes for very small and expensive product to produce and sell.

For every ten Two Handed fly rods I sell one is a switch rod.
Along with a through miss understanding of what the purpose of the Switch rod was built around had clouded the market.

"Remember it is a Small two Handed Fly rod designed to be able to switch from overhead casting to Speycasting with no change of line ."

There has been a number of good less expensive rods on the market but IMHO
the less than stellar performance when put to the test.
:cool:

#13 ·
IMHO

" The total of all the "Spey" is less than 2% of the total flyfishing market."

A small niche market Such As "Spey' and relatively part of the Market the Switch rod hold makes for very small and expensive product to produce and sell.

For every ten Two Handed fly rods I sell one is a switch rod.
Good post Aaron,

It makes 0.2% of the flyfishing industry based on your info.

I was wondering if this trend is growing or decreasing?

I see a lot of people fish the switch rods here in the east coast (great lakes region), but most of them (I saw) were using them for indicator rig.

#14 ·
If you were spey fishing five years ago, were you feeling handicapped and frustrated for lack of a sub-category of spey rods yet to be named as switch rods? No? Switch rods are presently bathed in the golden glow of "I got to get me one of them!" That's why they cost so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.