#1 ·
#126 ·
Phil,

I thought poverty was fixed in the 80's
and came back in the 11's.

I stand
corrected.

Dave
As a Bike Messenger, Fly shop girl, and grad student at the time, I can assure you that poverty indeed existed in the 80s! :beathead: I remember dropping my primary food source, a GLASS jar of peanut butter, and having the glass shatter but remain intact, and eating it for the next 5 days from the middle outward to hopefully avoid the glass. Added drama was supplied by the fact that it was crunchy peanut butter. Every bite was an adventure!

#128 ·
the biggest problem with gangs is the explosive nature with regards to revenge, and that is generally limited to gang on gang violence.

pedro kills rodrigo becuz he slept with his ho

rodgrigos brother kills pedro

pedros little brother, who was 7, is now 13 and got his first gun.

he kills rodgrigos brother.

its nothing new. its called war. they are pretty good at controling there own populations.

The question is, how realistic of a threat is this to an eastern washington flyfisherman? in the 80's i was less then 5 years old.

#129 ·
And to think I was upset fishing Nunnally Lake 30 years ago when a Hispanic guy was using a beer bottle as his spinning outfit and a worm, fishing in my waters! Well, seriously, thanks all for warning me about these gangs and bad guys. Wholly sh_t Batman!! Give a boy a gun.

#135 ·
I want to add to Ribka's post: If you're using drugs its possible that you're on the wrong side of the war on drugs. So here's an idea: stop using drugs, the demand for drugs drops, the cartels are out of business.

By the way, data from the years of prohibition indicates that incidence of alcohol related issues such as domestic violence and DUI accidents declined dramatically. I tossed the papers referencing the study when I retired, wished I had kept them.

#137 ·
Don't worry It won't happen, not in my lifetime. Maybe pot will be legalized, but that's about as far as I see it going.

#139 ·
i'm not saying these punks are not going to mess with a flyfisherman but when a man buys a a 40 to 80,000 dolar car or truck has his drift boat or float tube and you brand new winston or bamboo rod and u take a child for his fishing trip of the year and seas these punks at the park or ramp and u take off and fish and your truck gets broke in into or he jumps you for your winston or hold you at gunpoint and you are not packing what do u do the police are 90 miles away but if your protecting yourself u have a chance to keep your shit that u worked so hard for!!!!!!

#141 ·
Having finally read the "wolf/sheep" thing, as a Medieval historian I can tell you that the statement about this possibly being the most violent time in history is a total crock. That period between the fall of the Roman empire and the rise of the Carolingian empire; the time we refer to as the "dark ages" was a great deal more violent and lawless. We aren't bad off here, but the press needs to sell papers, so they sensationalize whatever they can, nothing new there! Many of my colleagues have claimed that the Roman gladius has killed more people than all the wars since. I don't know how they can back up that statement, but I'm not willing to dismiss it.

#142 ·
Kinda' going off track a bit here, but when I suggest legalizing drugs as a means of undermining cartels, it's certainly not meant as legalizing all crimes to eliminate crime. The War on Drugs has been going on for over 40 years that I've seen and been a complete and total failure. One might say, OK, you've had your turn, now let's try an alternative and see if it does better. It can't do any worse.

Take meth; it would most likely disappear from use and therefore manufacture. Why, you might reasonably ask. Because if common narcotic drugs were legal, you could buy a daily hit of pharmacutical grade heroin from the drugstore for $1. Yeah, a $100 a day habit would become a dollar a day habit, for those inclined, probably absorbing the vast majority of meth heads because they'd get a better recreational drug for even less money than their meth habit. (Note: I'm not recommending drug use, but simply acknowledge that a percent of our population will seek out and use drugs no matter what laws we have.)

Because these drugs are actually quite cheap to produce and sell if it were legally allowed, the huge profit potential that attracts and creates things like drug cartels would cease to exist. Since drug cartels do exist, they, along with the DEA, LE opposed to drugs, and conservatives who are hell bent on trying to control (and failing miserably) the social behaviors they don't approve of, lead the charge against legalizing drugs. The cartels and well-meaning, but wrong-headed, folks are in it together unfortunately. Cartels would of economic necessity move on to whatever the next highest profit business that is vulnerable to their business model, securities trading probably (t.i.c.).

Anyway, legalizing pot, meth, heroin, and other similar drugs all but eliminates the majority of the criminal activity associated with them. Murder, assault, robbery, even home burglaries would decline as the need to raise large amounts of money to purchase illegal drugs almost, but not quite, goes away.

One post asks if a drug user can be a functional member of society, hold a job, pay taxes, etc. Although it's not the norm, there have been numerous instances over the years of functional heroin addicts. Generally it doesn't work out in the long term due as much to the high cost of heroin and varying and inconsistent quality of street heroin as to the effects of the drug on some users. As for the societal outcome, look to the Netherlands. Although certain streets of Amsterdam are replete with junkies, the overall rate of heroin use has declined since they stopped prosecuting drug use. There's a logical explanation for that too, but that involves going even further off topic.

Sg

#143 ·
Take meth; it would most likely disappear from use and therefore manufacture. Why, you might reasonably ask. Because if common narcotic drugs were legal, you could buy a daily hit of pharmacutical grade heroin from the drugstore for $1.
Sg
Hunh? Might want to look into what the drugs do. Kinda like saying if blood pressure medicine suddenly became dirt cheap noone would buy cholesterol medicine.

#150 ·
Evan, my point is that there would taxation on legalized drugs. HUGE taxation. There would be a HUGE blackmarket. The cartels would run it, divert/hijack from legal outlets, kill mofos... You know. They'd TCB.

#153 ·
Homeland Security is supposed to make us secure in our homes and private and public lives. My chances of meeting Abdul Allah Akbar Killall The Infedels standing down on the corner are pretty slim to nill. But I bet ya a dollar I can go out my door and find a bunch of gangsters willing to f with me.

G
#154 ·
The anwser to all the worlds problems is the fact the criminal element needs to be sterilized so they can't repoduce. This would allow the world to slowly reduce the amount of lawyers needed as the ciminals would naturaly die out, that way lawyers who make a living of defending and prosecuting criminals would not have to turn to crime to get by ( they could become politicians and legal steal from the taxpayers). This would painlessly cleans the gene pool of unmanagable hooligan trouble makers in a humane way.

#155 ·
Stiffer penalties. That's what keeps me from killing my neighbor, or vise versa, (I hope!). That death penalty thingamabobber is a pretty good motivator to play nice.

Zero tolerance and no fucking appeals either. Get your shit together for a one and only trial. If you get death, then let's git 'r' done - like maybe next Tuesday instead of 25 years from now.

You should be able to get a free gang member tag with every deer tag. :) You could bait them at the boat launches with blingy lil import cars or maybe a suitcase full of cash, or a guy dressed up as a rival gang member. Hot damn this is starting to sound like some real fun now.

#156 ·
A lot of the problem is the liberal attitudes that prevail in our court systrms. The poor boy had a bad childhood, he comes from a depressed country, etc. etc etc.

Back in the mid 90's a small town in Georgia brought in some light industry. This was to bolster their economy. Before the new businesses it was basically a pretty calm town. When the new businesses came in with increased population the crime rate took off.

The City Council fed up with the rising crime rate passed a law, Everyone was required to buy a firearm. It was also required that it was everyones duty as a citizen to shoot anyone committing a felony, like stealing a car or breaking into the neighbors house. the new laws were publisized and quess what, the crime rate dropped over night.

Makes sense to me.

So here we are today, A six year old girl is basically sexually molested at an airport for security reasons and women can walk through with a burka covering everything thanks to the ACLU's ratial profiling BS.
The Feds refuse to guard the southern border and then handcuff Border Patroll agents.

There is not a country in the world that puts up with the crap of illegal border crossings that even comes close to the liberal approach the US takes. Put the National Guard on the borders and shoot the SOB's if they don't stop. Just like Mexico!

Commit a crime and get sent back and if you return get slapped hard and break rocks. There should be NO priviledges for an illegal. No medical, no welfare no nothing. No more anchor babies.

Raid cartell strong holds and just blast them away. Get tough and quit the excuses. Tell the ACLU to take a hike.

Boycott Mexico, if they continue to instuct people how to get across the border so they can send money back home. No more tourists. No more trade. Cut the greedy bastards off. Let them starve in their corruption.

DAve

#157 ·
A lot of the problem is the liberal attitudes that prevail in our court systrms. The poor boy had a bad childhood, he comes from a depressed country, etc. etc etc.

Back in the mid 90's a small town in Georgia brought in some light industry. This was to bolster their economy. Before the new businesses it was basically a pretty calm town. When the new businesses came in with increased population the crime rate took off.

The City Council fed up with the rising crime rate passed a law, Everyone was required to buy a firearm. It was also required that it was everyones duty as a citizen to shoot anyone committing a felony, like stealing a car or breaking into the neighbors house. the new laws were publisized and quess what, the crime rate dropped over night.

Makes sense to me.

So here we are today, A six year old girl is basically sexually molested at an airport for security reasons and women can walk through with a burka covering everything thanks to the ACLU's ratial profiling BS.
The Feds refuse to guard the southern border and then handcuff Border Patroll agents.

There is not a country in the world that puts up with the crap of illegal border crossings that even comes close to the liberal approach the US takes. Put the National Guard on the borders and shoot the SOB's if they don't stop. Just like Mexico!

Commit a crime and get sent back and if you return get slapped hard and break rocks. There should be NO priviledges for an illegal. No medical, no welfare no nothing. No more anchor babies.

Raid cartell strong holds and just blast them away. Get tough and quit the excuses. Tell the ACLU to take a hike.

Boycott Mexico, if they continue to instuct people how to get across the border so they can send money back home. No more tourists. No more trade. Cut the greedy bastards off. Let them starve in their corruption.

DAve
Amen:

#161 ·

what you said here is pure B.S get your facts together. basically sexually molested. But if this 6 year had had expolsives or what ever and had gotten through ,you would bitch because they DIDNT check the kid. And ther border patrol agents were working for the cartels. Get your Phucking facts straight.

#164 ·
Who are we to bitch? We have given up our freedoms and rights one after the other in the name of security. There are no guarantees in life, it's a bitch and then we die. How much shit we put up with while we're here is up to us. We voted the assholes in that are running the zoo, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Wall Street runs the government and politicians only work at getting re-elected. They don't listen to the people and they don't care. The Big O is already planning his billion dollar re-election, nothing done the first two years and nothing will get done the next two. It's all about his job.
Mexicans stand outside Home Depot by the dozens every day, no one does anything, do you think they're here legally? Ha!
We have three wars going and owe trillions to the Chinese. WTF is wrong with this picture. The largest sector of employment is law enforcement of one type or another including prisons and probation officers. We have millions locked up in this country.
Medical costs are the biggest drain on the economy and Big O just made it bigger. The pill companies own his ass too. They bark, he jumps.
And we're pissing and moaning about the Norteno and Soreno's, fuck'em.

It's a spiritual problem...that ought to get a comment or two...

#170 ·
I kinda thought everything was the big O's fault. That settles it, I'm voting for Sara or maybe............................................................Charlie! Wonder if we could talk Charlie into running for prez? He has some classy 1st lady material.

#183 ·
I would have agreed completely until Barbara Bachman and Donald Trump started posturing for a run in 2012. As hard as it is to believe, by comparison they make Palin sound halfway intelligent.

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.