Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

August Pink Reports

49K views 416 replies 125 participants last post by  T Bag 
#1 ·
Time for a new thread to replace the Pink Recon thread, in my humble opinion.

#286 ·
After most of 2 weeks at BP I've had 5 hookups with 2 on the beach. 4 of the hookups were in the first 3 days. Drove down to check on 8/9 in the evening and there must have been a school going through because shouts of "fish on" were coming fast a furious up and down the north side beach. Since then it's been s-l-o-o-w. A good day is more than 6 fish in 2-3 hours up and down the (visible) beach.
Lot's of Game Warden appearances checking for licenses and barbs though. After getting the "fish-eye" because my barb on a stainless had snapped when crimped I went home and spent some time with a file.
Last couple of mornings I've watched the commercials heading out from Tacoma northbound and I haven't seen nets on deck. Just dive flags on the mast.

#287 ·
I literally had bleeding knuckles this morning. I know I've said it a few times already.... But the fish this year must be on roids or something. The females are typically easy to dominate and horse in... But those bigger males are just tearin it up.

I went 4 for 9, Matt Smith went like... 1 for 5, and Constructeur went 1 for 8. Didn't see much of anything else caught by the others who were around.

#288 ·
I literally had bleeding knuckles this morning. I know I've said it a few times already.... But the fish this year must be on roids or something. The females are typically easy to dominate and horse in... But those bigger males are just tearin it up.

I went 4 for 9, Matt Smith went like... 1 for 5, and Constructeur went 1 for 8. Didn't see much of anything else caught by the others who were around.
You have it figured out!

#290 ·
I have been out looking in MA 8 several times in the last week and things have been very slow for me. Last night the fish activity was the best I've seen so far, but still a far cry from what I would usually see for this time of the year in a pink year. I've enjoyed good fishing in the area through labor day so we'll see if things pick up but I think there is something to the argument that the fish are not staging as much as usual this year.

#291 ·
man, another epic morning in area 11 with non stop action. Saw at least 4 BIG schools in 4-15' of water, fished from 6-1030am. Fought a BIG chrome buck for 10 minutes that was at least 8-10 lbs, had it 2' from the boat then it spit my fly out, darn! Pink fishing is getting better by the day! Waahoo!

#295 ·
the fish are back on point, that rain brought alot in and the south sound water has cleared up. i recommend you get to a south sound beach, be there at hightide. yesterday was crazy starting at 230 pm. right now the crowds/gear is on the river, they will b back when the word gets out.

#296 ·
My Favorite Fishing Poem:

The Blind Men and The Elephant

It was six men of Indostan,
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the elephant (Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation Might satisfy the mind.

The first approached the elephant,
And, happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl;
'God bless me! but the elephant Is very like a wall!'

The second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried: 'Ho! what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 'tis mighty clear
This wonder of an elephant
Is very like a spear!'

The third approached the animal,
And,happening to take The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
'I see', quoth he,' the elephant Is very like a snake!'

The fourth reached out his eager hand,
And felt about the knee:
' What most this wondrous beast is like Is mighty plain,'quoth he;
' Tis clear enough the elephant Is very like a tree!'

The fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: 'E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an elephant Is very like a fan!'

The sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
'I see', quoth he, 'the elephant
Is very like a rope!'

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right
And all were in the wrong

-John Godfrey Saxe

#298 ·
Well played Paul. It would not take much to transform that poem so that it addressed 6 fly fishermen describing the "best" fly rod:
And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right
And all were in the wrong.

#299 ·
The only things I can say about this years run that are objectively true are that I didn't *actually* need to stock up on mega amounts of brown sugar, kosher salt, and garlic in early August and that it was quite a bit easier to log lots of time on the water when I was unemployed back in '09.

#300 ·
Relax folks. The bulk of the fish are still coming. I spent only a short amount of time on the beach this morning before an SOS from my wife forced me to quit and while there I had two LDR, saw another dozen or so from the beach and at least a dozen from the dock. The tides have shifted in the past week so they are going out early and then coming in mid-day. The rain definitely helped though there wasn't really much of it here and the water clarity in the morning is really excellent. Later on in the morning it clouds up and the warm weather brings the North winds resulting in a lot of debris and sea weed being pushed into the North facing beaches at Des Moines, Redondo, Dumas, Dash Point, and Browns Point. All this changes the fishing patterns but they are nothing I haven't seen in the past three runs. I'd say everything seems pretty normal other than the runs might be delayed by high water and runoff as suggested earlier in the post. It makes sense to me so I'm not panicking. I still have four days left to fish before school starts and then the evenings so I expect to get a few more before it's all said and done for the run.

#303 ·
2 for 5 this morning for me. Two guys with me each LDR'd one fish each as well.

Some unprecedented groups of buzz bombers and Zebco enthusiasts apparently discovered this spot, and filled the place up this morning. Though none managed a single hookup.

Been slower each consecutive morning this week. We need a good, hard rain methinks.

#307 ·
2 for 5 this morning for me. Two guys with me each LDR'd one fish each as well.

Some unprecedented groups of buzz bombers and Zebco enthusiasts apparently discovered this spot, and filled the place up this morning. Though none managed a single hookup.

Been slower each consecutive morning this week. We need a good, hard rain methinks.
They are netting in the sound....

#310 ·
Evan: "Some unprecedented groups of buzz bombers and Zebco enthusiasts apparently discovered this spot, and filled the place up this morning. Though none managed a single hookup."

What did you expect from the Zebco screamer crowd?
The only thing unprecedented among the pink fishing masses is how many times they refer to their $200+ fishing rods as 'poles'. Sad part is I drool over their bling gear LOL.

For the love of fishing someone teach them to only call it a pole if it costs under $25. Inflation adjusted, maybe $35... Unfortunately mine is a regulation pole, but I call it a rod to boost the ego :)

#314 ·
Hey Josh, I'd be all over it but Evan was kind enough to PM me earlier and I'm heading over to Redmond in the AM to meet up with him to try to learn from the master!

You been getting out much? I've hit PnP about 4 times a week over the past 2 weeks or so... Been pretty slow for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.