Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

now here is some fancy casting!

Spey 
3K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Paul Huffman 
#1 ·
#31 ·
Bryce,

Exactly! Not sure why those "purists" got worked up so much... and believe it or not...most of the skagit casters/masters I know also fish eh....the long lines...and have fun with it in certain conditions. I am sure those "Purists" will take this statement as an insulting...see a great report from Rick below, I am sure they all had a heck of fun! monoliner, biliner, triline... whatever...

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=51984&highlight=Rick

#34 ·
Fatigue with a long line? Lets weight the alternative...600 grain skagit with a 12' of t14, every water borne cast needs an addtional mini cast to set up the anchor, stripping and shooting gobs of line even for a short 70' cast.

I think the right answer is "trade-off" ...yes skagits are clunky, take more work/energy but are very forgiving and get the heavy junk I need to feel confident fishing, to a depth I feel confident fishing. I personally don't like to use skagits, not oppossed to skagit use I just find other systems more enjoyable.

James.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.