Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Circuit Breaker For Electric Trolling Motor?

Boats 
19K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Hookup340 
#1 ·
I've never used a circuit breaker for my 12V Minn Kota motors, but I'm seeing that apparently they are recommended. I've asked Minn Kota tech support via email, but regardless of their forthcoming response I'm curious if you use one or an inline fuse for the 28-55# 12V motors? I just use the motor's alligator clips direct to the battery. I've never seen one used except in the case of internal boat wiring.

#2 ·
Don't know about the 55# - but I just finished the wiring for a Minn Kota 101# RipTide / 36Volt System - and per the recommendation from guys at Ollie Damons - I used the inLine breaker from Minn Kota . . . . . they mentioned that if something were to go 'haywire' and there wasn't an inLine breaker then Minn Kota wouldn't have to stand behind the warranty . . . .better safe than sorry.

#3 ·
Arent the breakers for dual or triple battery set-ups like you have to have with motors of over 55# , I just wired my single battery system and 55# with heavy jumper cables to have it under the passenger seat on my drifter and goes through my back box on the bottom to hide the battery and wiring. cut the clamps off and wired straight to two studs of poss. and neg. with wing nuts . did they say anything about the single battery set-up? thanks!

#4 ·
I've never used a circuit breaker for my 12V Minn Kota motors, but I'm seeing that apparently they are recommended.
My local boat electrical company strongly recommends the breaker switch. He said it was not just to protect the motor but if there's a short somewhere that overloads the battery, the battery could explode and shower you with sulphuric acid or start a fire.

The 55# motors have the biggest current draw as the higher thrust motors use more volts and less amps so the breaker might well be more important on the big current drawing single battery motors since the baseline current is already large. I am speculating on that last comment so hopefully someone with actual engineering knowledge can confirm / deny that.

#5 ·
I've never used a circuit breaker for my 12V Minn Kota motors, but I'm seeing that apparently they are recommended. I've asked Minn Kota tech support via email, but regardless of their forthcoming response I'm curious if you use one or an inline fuse for the 28-55# 12V motors? I just use the motor's alligator clips direct to the battery. I've never seen one used except in the case of internal boat wiring.
I made it pretty easy went to O'Reilly auto parts bought a 50 amp in line fuse, and wired connectors to both sides of the fuse, bolted one end to the hot side of battery and the other end to hot wire ( red ) on the motor when using. The breaker has a terminal for the battery , and the other for the source, and it is marked. Less than 5 bucks for it.

#7 ·
The Minn Kota circuit breaker is rated at 60 amps and is sold for all motors. My motor draws 50 amps max. I would think a 60 amp fuse would be appropriate? 50 might blow too easy at top speed?
It has yet to blow at any speed, I too have the MinnKota . I also have a MotorGuide ,and it also runs okay on the 50 amps. Anybody I have talked to does not even run a breaker. I was not going to spend another 30-40 dollars for a minnkota breaker on a hundred dollar motor. The 50 amp five dollar breaker is working just fine.

#8 ·
Is that a breaker or a fuse? Previous owner on my last boat had wired in some sort of automotive automatic tripping breaker (based on temperature) which proceeded to corrode a little and cause me and the trolling motor shop no end of trouble by tripping at all sorts of times and then resetting itself when it cooled off for 5 mins. It created the worst intermittent electrical problem imaginable. It was probably fine until a little corrosion screwed up the heat conduction and caused it to trip prematurely. It was something like this:

https://www.darvex.com/store/pc/50-Amp-Auto-Resetting-Circuit-breaker-56p969.htm

#10 ·
I got a somewhat snippy response from Minn Kota:

John,
Any motor should have a circuit breaker. The attached guidelines are derived from ABYC and Coastguard suggestions/regulations and should be helpful.

The guidelines show a 60 amp breaker for a 50-55# motor, 50 amp for anything less. O'Reilly does not have a $5 solution for mine; they have a $20 solution because of the 60 amp requirement. For another $15 I will probably order a Minn Kota breaker. The replacement cost on my motor is $400 and there's a safety factor to consider as well.

#13 ·
The difference is the draw. Mine draws 50 amp so it could blow the fuse/breaker pretty easily. I think the 55# 12-volt is the highest amp drawing motor in the entire line, unfortunately. The 24-36V motors draw less amperage, per the specs.

#19 ·
If you use a AMP PROBE on motor lead ,under full load in the water and see what it actually draws.
If there is a WATT rateing on Motor
I = P/E/ or Amps Wattage divided by the Voltage, 400 watts /12 volts = 33.3 amps (example)
*Also as the Voltage drops ,the Amps will increase

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.