Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage's new product: CIRCA - A Performance slow action rod series

6K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  Porter 
#1 ·
Tired of the latest and greatest rods always focusing and stiff, fast action?

If so, the news out of Sage today could be of interest to you. Their new rod series is a performance slow-action rod for anglers who prefer slow, deliberate casts. NOTE: According to Sage:
"But be warned: the CIRCA does not mimic the type of slow action that has so far defined the category - overly soft, willowy and flat. Instead, thanks to Konnetic technology's ability to compact and align more carbon fibers into a smaller diameter blank, we were able to design a radically narrow taper throughout the length of the rod, resulting in consistently slow, yet responsive action from butt to tip "

Full press release announcing the new series can be found here:

http://www.pitchengine.com/sage/sag...low-action-fly-rods-with-the-circa-collection

#3 ·
I had a slow rod one time. I could make a lunch while waiting for the rod to load. I traded it off and now I would shoot myself if I ever got another one. I like to just whip the rod to get my line. I have found that over time I only have to do a couple of false casts to get my desired line out. I don't like to waste time casting.

#6 ·
Just to put the price in perspective: A 1986 LL Rod had MSRPs of $250 - $350 (and more for some limited edition versions).

Adjusted to today's dollar valuations, that rod would run $700 to $900 today

The CIRCA is slated to cost $745 to $775.

So, in terms of real dollar value, there's essentially NO DIFFERENCE between the brand-new MSRP prices of the two rod series. In fact, the LL could have cost more in real dollar values.

#20 ·
Lots of luck on that one, Jim. If you find the formula, I am your first customer. I could make you rich.

I have a few Sage rods. Four if IIRC. Most were purchased in the 80's and early 90's. All are very good rods and worth more than I paid for them.
I got some pretty good discounts. I guess my favorite is my 5 wt 9 foot.
But that little 2 wt is soooo much fun to cast.

That said, I doubt that I will be buying any more new ones. Would like to hear a report from someone that did, however.

#13 ·
lots of slick marketing there and certainly a nice price tag I hope they made a good product...
Personally, I'm glad they DO have slick marketing! If the business that support our activities don't market their new products as effectively as possible, they sell fewer and the price-per-unit goes up (WAY UP!!) -- or they stop developing new products all together. Either way, we lose!

WIthout marketing, 50-75 percent of retail sales for non-essentials (and yes, as much as we might disagree with the concept, fly fishing gear is NON-ESSENTIAL) would disappear. That is a free-market fact.

Who would pass on a chance to try a new $800 Sage on Dan Nelson's secret skinny water?:)
After reading the thread about guide prices, I now realize I could make a fortune on this 'field test trip.' :p If only I had a guide license!

Seriously, I'm thinking I need to start getting WFF regulars more involved in my fly gear field testing/review process. Besides the Sage line up additions, I know Orvis is developing a SWEET new rod series. (thanks to a local guide -- one of those over-priced millionaires who guide just for the chance to screw us poor anglers :eek: -- I had a chance to cast a prototype earlier this spring. I WILL be staying in touch with the boys in Vermont about that rod. It might even get me away from my ONE!!!

Reactions: Steve Call
#27 ·
I'm sure they're nice, but at that price aren't they approaching a Tom Morgan? Maybe, but I'll wait 'till I can get a used/demo/etc.
A new Morgan graphite will set you back about $1,400 and a two year wait between the time you order and when you get the rod. Great folks to deal with and the rods are, well... Morgan's.

I'm intrigued by the Circa. The new Freestone rods look interesting too at the high-end.

#29 ·
I've been fishing my 8' old Orvis rod from 1976 (don't know what it was called...Superfine or Far & Fine...whatever) lately, and it's a dandy rod as a full flex can be. I would guess that the latest Orvis line of the Superfines are great as well.

#31 ·
I'm curious to see if it's really a "slow action" or more of a medium, whatever it is it's a step in the right direction. If it's even close to my Biit it might be good, if it's too slow not too many people will buy it. I cast the ONE the other day and the NRX, both 9' 5wt's....... they can keep em both IMO!

#36 ·
I'm happy to see Sage slow it down, though I have no idea why they'd pick graphite for a slow rod (assuming it is truly slow, and not just medium). After all, Sage is a spin-off of Fenwick in the late 1970's, and their first rods were glass (in addition to graphite) when the company was called Winslow Manufacturing. They switched to all graphite about the time they changed their name to avoid confusion with Winston. I recently owned a Sage fiberglass rod that was very sweet. More about Sage's early slow glass rods here: http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5183000/Sage

Meantime, Leland's options sound good, plus there are a slew of modern fiberglass rod makers who do great engineering and artistry: Mike McFarland, Mark Steffen, Mario Wojnicki, Scott's F2 series, T&T and many more: http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182995/Modern Rods

I still look forward to casting one of the Circa rods. It should be unique.

#37 ·
Maybe we should talk about slow action fly rods, their virtues and limits. I like slower rods, especially when I'm more concerned about presentation, and seeing the white in the wings of a #16 Parachute Adams than I am in reaching the bank on the far shore. But really slow rods are lousy casting instruments. You may not need to cast a tight loop, but you need some butt-stiffness to play a fish of respectable size, or to cast farther than you can throw the line with your hand. As an example, take my six foot, two section, five weight fiberglass Herter - please! Offers will be entertained. I don't think I fished it more than a few times. False casting to extend line a foot at a time ain't much fun.

#38 ·
Maybe we should talk about slow action fly rods, their virtues and limits....As an example, take my six foot, two section, five weight fiberglass Herter - please! Offers will be entertained. I don't think I fished it more than a few times. False casting to extend line a foot at a time ain't much fun.
Like graphite and cane, not all glass is created equally. There are glass dogs for sure, but gems as well. I just spent 4 days this past weekend/week fishing spring creeks using just glass rods. I cast mostly big meat with a 6wt and 7wt rods from Steffen, and they are most assuredly both excellent casters (even in wind) and can stop a 20" trout from running wild.

#43 ·
I'm going to add some speculation here, but my guess is that this rod won't be the TXL-F or ZXL replacement. I am expecting that if/when either of those rods are "upgraded" or discontinued their replacements will be similar in nature to the Z being replaced by One.

This Circa seems more like another addition of a "niche" rod in Sage's lineup--think ESN, 99.

There are few if any products out there--inside the fishing industry or not-- with the Made in the USA stamp on them and few if any of them are as cheap as they once were. I for one am glad to see an American company holding strong in the world marketplace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.