Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What 7/8 rod for under $500 are happiest with?

Spey 
3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
What rods have you been satisfied with for under $500, which ones for use with a Skagit line, Scandi line. A rod that works with most lines?

Thanks.

#7 ·
I have a Amundson windwarrior 12'6" 7/8 weight, I'm just not sure about the action or whether it's a decent rod. Looking to upgrade eventually, after I slowly save up enough dough. And a good used rod is in the cards aswell.
What lines are you throwing on the z axis 8129?

Only interested in spey rods, not interested in switch rods.

Thanks

#9 ·
I have a Amundson windwarrior 12'6" 7/8 weight, I'm just not sure about the action or whether it's a decent rod. Looking to upgrade eventually, after I slowly save up enough dough. And a good used rod is in the cards aswell.
What lines are you throwing on the z axis 8129?

Only interested in spey rods, not interested in switch rods.

Thanks
Throwing a custom Steve Godshall 575 grain line on mine. Started with an Airflo 600 and then backed it down a touch and Steve shortened mine a touch too.

#14 ·
What tips are you throwing with the afs and compact scandi?
What action would you consider the wind warrior have?

thanks cmann for the link
I only use 10 foot poly leaders with these lines . Pick your sink rate .
The action is fairly fast - especially the upper third of the blank . If you`ve ever cast a Loomis Stinger in the 12.5 foot configuration , you`d find the actions eerily similar .

#16 ·
Thanks Brian, I've heard the max with the AFS line is t-8 10', are you going heavier than that?

Thanks for the feedback Steffan, Ed, Rick and Macsuibhe. I guess other than the Z Axis 8129, people aren't satisfied with their rod for under 500 ;-).
I also have a 10' 8" Beulah Platinum 7wt. Switch. This is really a sweet rod. Took me some time to feel it but lined out...as Beulah and Rio suggest at 425 Skagit...it's a rocket. I had a certified Spey casting instructor remark what a great rod it was and almost everyone who casts it, loves it.

Too bad, it's mine...mine, I tell you. My precious...:)

#17 ·
Is the $500.00 mark a budget you are on? Are you looking for the best performance/price ratio? 'Cause honestly, I think it's pretty tough to find a truly bad rod these days, and frankly, price has nothing to do with how well a rod will perform in your hands. Provided of course you have the correct line for the rod and the application you are using it for.

Many of the best rods I own were downright cheap in the overall scheme of things. Hands down the best rod (at any price) I've ever owned is my Echo classic 8136. Followed closely by my Meisers. Lotta leeway there.

Are you looking for something really specific? Within reason, a well designed rod ought to be able to handle most, if not all, different line types.

In terms of new, currently available rods, you could do worse than the TFO deer creek line up. On the used market, you can find darn near anything for 500 or less if you look around a bit.

#18 ·
TCX 7126, the death star. Sold to finance a trip to Canada. The trip was worth it, but like an ex-girlfriend, I miss that rod bad, and and anticipate a future encounter. Smooth skagit machine; throws the chickens and the sink tips like no other; powers scandis through the wind.

#20 ·
I picked up a Beulah Platinum, 8124, awesome rod, very glad i bought it, and makes me want to pick up another one just in case! and comes in around the 500 $ mark. And for sub 500$, you can't go wrong with the deer creek rods.
And the Beulah's throw a wide range of skagit lines with ease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.