Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

(BCS) Bull Crap Series

NFR 
2K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  Old Man 
#1 ·
What the #@%*! was that on ESPN tonight? I don't care who you are...that was just wrong. How did a "computer" put those two teams together in a championship game?

And how was the #2 favored over the #1 team? Shouldn't that be a sign that something might be wrong with the system?

Geez-O-Pete If you were a Notre Dame fan... OUCH!

#3 ·
Been an Alabama fan for over 25 years and that was still sad to watch......so many things wrong with the way teams are matched up in college football.

#6 ·
Now that there, is spoken from a true sports fan gentlemen. Most guys would gloat over a victory like that, good on you - (I hope that makes sense). Nothing wrong with having a great victory on the biggest stage, but this Bull Crap Series has GOT to go. Next year is "suppose" to be an 'And One', meaning there will be a two game playoff, but it is still going to up to the BCS to pick the top 4 teams....again, a joke.

Irish fan for life, Cubs fan too. Brutal. Glad they got some national recognition leading up to this game, for the first time in a long time. Just sounded embarrassing (radio).
Ed, I am not even close to being a ND fan, but I told my buddy who is (after Kelly took over) that ND would be right up there in the top 3 in 3 yrs. Just didn't think it would be the championship - but good on them for going 11-0. The only undefeated team after the regular season. No offense, but I watched almost every game they played, and didn't feel like they should be in that game. Not that they didn't deserve it...but that's the "sticky/silly BCS part of the equation. How do you keep them out, yet if you look at who they played throughout the year, who they beat and how they beat them, it just didn't add up with me. Texas A&M was the only loss Alabama had (in Alabama), and they looked like a pro team in there bowl game.

P.S. It was absolutely painful to watch. What a shame to end your year that way, after accomplishing so much. I hope for them that it won't carry over to next year. But then again, sometimes that can be fuel fore the fire.

In the end, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I think it's good for college football that ND is back. Just like it would be great for baseball if the Cubs would ever make it back.

#4 ·
Irish fan for life, Cubs fan too. Brutal. Glad they got some national recognition leading up to this game, for the first time in a long time. Just sounded embarassing (radio).

#5 ·
I felt the Irish deserved to be in the national championship!
Kansas and Oregon would of been next up for a shot and we all saw what Oregon did to Kansas. Stanford beat Oregon and the Irish beat Stanford and went undefeated. like it or not they deserved to be there in my opinion.

Besides there was no way Bama wanted to play Oregon, they had been whining about the no huddle all year and the changing of college football offence's. like the announcers were saying up until the game, Oregon was number 2 in the nation but screwed themselves with the Stanford loss. It should of been Oregon and Bama but keeping the Irish out would of been a crime.

And the #3 team flopped big time - way over rated.

#7 ·
If that damn Pitt kicker wouldn't have missed that chippy from straight on earlier in the season, this calamity would have never taken place....

#9 ·
I'm certainly not a BCS system fan, but the NFL doesn't eliminate blowouts either. Partial list:

Super Bowl XXXVIII
Buccaneers 48 Raiders 21
Margin of victory - 27

Super Bowl XXXV
Ravens 34 Giants 7
Margin of victory 27

Super Bowl XXIV
SanFrancisco 49ers 55 Broncos 10
Margin of Victory - 45 points

Super Bowl XX
Bears 46 Patriots 10
Margin of Victory - 36 points

Super Bowl XXVII
Cowboys 52 Buffalo Bills 17
Margin of Victory - 35 points

Super Bowl XXII
Redskins 42 Broncos 10
Margin of Victory - 32

It seems that, different from many sports, football has so few games (comparatively) in a season that a team's chance to be in the final pairing is very subject to a one-game misfire.

#10 ·
I'm certainly not a BCS system fan, but the NFL doesn't eliminate blowouts either. Partial list:

It seems that, different from many sports, football has so few games (comparatively) in a season that a team's chance to be in the final pairing is very subject to a one-game misfire.
The difference to me, at least, is that those NFL teams had to work their way through the playoffs to get there. That counts for a lot. Being picked by a computer or voted by highly biased coaches or journalists means very little to me.

#11 ·
It ok to me. ND deserved to be in that game because they did everything they could do, win every regular season game they played. Now if they were actually in a conference and had to play the additional conference championship game as well as not beating up on the military schools things might be different.

Its all moot as next year we will see a 4 team playoff and within the next 10 years we will likely see four 16 team conferences and a 8 team playoff system which is about as good of a system as I can think of for college football in its current state.

#12 ·
Yes, at least the trend is toward improvement. There's so much money at stake in college football that the outcry against the BCS method of selection is being heard under pain of lost revenue: certainly at risk if fans lose interest as a result of the flawed system.

#13 ·
The only people that are worried about losing revenue are the prestige bowls (Orange, Rose, Fiesta, Sugar) as they will no longer be the "main games" when there are 7 playoff games in total. In whole, I fully expect college football revenue to go up as playoffs are added.

But yes, money does rule all things NCAA division I football and NCAA men's basketball.

#21 ·
The only people that are worried about losing revenue are the prestige bowls (Orange, Rose, Fiesta, Sugar) as they will no longer be the "main games" when there are 7 playoff games in total. In whole, I fully expect college football revenue to go up as playoffs are added.

But yes, money does rule all things NCAA division I football and NCAA men's basketball.
60 Minutes did a story this past fall, on the subject of the amount of $$$ in college football, the ranking system, and the "fallout" there of (if your college misses out). The next week, 60 Minutes read some of the replies they got from "viewers" that were not very happy about that episode. Guess who the "viewers" were? Yep, none other than the athletic directors from colleges: Alabama, Mich, Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio St...etc.

#16 ·
I quit watching football at any level a long time ago. The NFL should call itself the National Flagball league and the colleges are only in it for the money. High school ball was still good but now everyone is so worried Johnny will get a concusion even that isn't much good anymore.

#23 ·
I am a huge college football fan and an admitted SEC homer. I watched a little of ND's wins over Pitt and Stanford. Pitt is a pathetic team this year and the win was more luck than anything. The Stanford game turned on an official's call (Where have we seen that before?). Still, they were unbeaten. I was hoping to see a great game last night, but what we got is what pretty much should have been expected. I would like to see AL play OR. Prediction--just look at the season opener a couple of years ago when OR's high powered crazy offense took on and got trounced by LSU. AL would have rolled here also. And while I believe Nick Saban is if not the best college coach ever, he soon will be, I hate Alabama. I am an LSU and Florida fan. As much as I look forward to a playoff, one thing bothers me. It has always been a lot of fun arguing which team really should have been playing and who really was the greatest--kind of like swinging vs nymphing.

Not that I'm counting, but there are 234 days till the first college football game.

#26 ·
As much as I hate to admit it, Oregon is (IMO) the scariest team in college football (I DO NOT LIKE THE DUCKS). I would love to have seen them matched up with Alabama. True, they would be a little undersized physically, but that uptempo drill they run is flat out spooky.

#27 ·
As much as I hate to admit it, Oregon is (IMO) the scariest team in college football (I DO NOT LIKE THE DUCKS). I would love to have seen them matched up with Alabama. True, they would be a little undersized physically, but that uptempo drill they run is flat out spooky.
Yeah, remember the Ohio St vs Florida Championship in 2006? All the talk was how HUGE Ohio St was, and they were favored in that game....Florida ran circles around them and beat the snot out of those HUGE Buckeyes. Remember....speed kills.

#28 ·
They could save us all time and energy if they just gave the trophy to the winner of the SEC championship game. That being said, the only time I would root for 'bama' would be if they were playing LSU, I will not root for SEC teams( they gotta be cheatin, some how), I just can't. I believe 'bama' would have beaten Oregon or anybody else they played, cause they are the best team in the nation,as much as I hate to say it.

#29 ·
They could save us all time and energy if they just gave the trophy to the winner of the SEC championship game. That being said, the only time I would root for 'bama' would be if they were playing LSU, I will not root for SEC teams( they gotta be cheatin, some how), I just can't. I believe 'bama' would have beaten Oregon or anybody else they played, cause they are the best team in the nation,as much as I hate to say it.
Two things I have to say about this:

Cheating? They don't have to cheat - they have that computer start those SEC teams so high, and when they do lose a game, they only drop 2 or 3 spots.

Did you see Texas A&M play in their bowl game? And weren't they the only team to beat Bama, at Bama's home feild? I don't know... I think they could have beat'em again after that performance they had against OU.

Like I said, the BCS National Championship also stands for "The SEC invitational"

#30 ·
The cheating statement was said with tounge planted firmly in cheek. You could be right about A&M, but with that long to prepare, I don't think bama would lose to them again, but we will never know.

#31 ·
I know it was Chris, I was totally being facetious on that first one. However, funny or not, it is true. After Bama lost that game, they fell from #1 aaaaaallll the way down to #4. But you are so right about "we'll never know." Take just the last week of the NFL regular season. Sometimes it is hard to beat a team twice. I just think that "Jonny Football" hit his stride after that Bama win.

Oh well, this thread is dead.

#32 ·
Ya, that kid is gonna be special, should be fun to watch him the next year. I wonder if he will stay in college or ifthe lure of big money will be too much to resist. I hope he sticks for 2 more at least.

Reactions: generic
#33 ·
North Dakota State actually is the National Champion this year...

I want the BCS to have more C and less BS meaning 8 team playoff with rules that allow every team in the league a shot at winning the championship. Look at college hockey, every single DI team could win the national championship this year, even my Seawolves.

#35 ·
North Dakota State actually is the National Champion this year...
Man, that is no lie! Wow, back to back National Championships, against the same team no less. Last years game was a bit closer I think though.

I watched the Eastern Eagles game (Semi Final game in Cheney WA), where the Eagles were down 35 - 0 at halftime to Sam Houston. The winner went to the national championship, the Eagles came back in the second half with the (sort of) backup quarterback - a true Freshman. He threw 6 TD passes in the second half, the Eagles lost 45 - 42.

We all thought, "If only...." Then seeing North Dakota St in the National CH...Holy Crap Batman is that team good. Maybe it was better for Eastern to lose so close, then to get whipped on by those guys. Maybe, maybe not, but yes I agree...they are the true champs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.