Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Have You Ever Tried The Reverse Sear Method For Steaks?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim Wallace 
#1 ·
Came across this method a few days ago on another site.
You set up two zones, hot & cool, on grill. At about 225 degrees, cool side, cook the steak(s) until they reach a temp of about 110. Baste both sides with butter and finish off on the hot side (450 or higher) until temp is about 130-135.
I did a London Broil 4# and ....WOW!

#2 ·
Thats a new one on me. I like the sound of it though.....Santa brought me a cast iron grilling pan; so I might try this idea on the stove top and see what happens. Maybe do the initial 'cool cooking' on a separate pan then sear on the grilling pan? Hm....stay tuned.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Thanks for the link to Amazingribs.com. good info on that site.
My Dad has always been a member of the "let it warm up at room temp for a few hours so you can just sear it on the outside" club. I don't hardly ever cook that way, any more.

Me, I like my meat stored at cold temps, properly handled, and cooked all the way through. I try to never let it sit out and warm up very long before I begin cooking it. I marinate stuff in the fridge.
I can deal with some light pink in the very center. I can't stand "rare," though. Can't even choke that down. I don't really like thick steaks or big thick cuts. Of course I prefer naturally raised grass fed beef, and do my best to avoid eating or buying any feed-lot fattened beef or any raised with anti-biotics or growth hormones in the feed.(I seldom eat in restaurants any more...I prepare more than 95% of my own meals. I think the last time I ate at a restaurant, except when a friend and his GF were out here in Dec and took me to lunch at a local eatery, was early last Oct. That's about once every two months).

I do stir-fries with thin-sliced meat, which helps keep me from overcooking the veggies. I like slow-cooked roasts, med-well or well-done and sliced thin, but I really enjoy a good stew, with a lot of veggies, and the meat cooked until its just falling apart (I add most of the veggies after the meat has been cooking a while, so that they don't get over-cooked). I do the same with chicken.

#8 ·
I can deal with some light pink in the very center. I can't stand "rare," though. Can't even choke that down. I don't really like thick steaks or big thick cuts. Of course I prefer naturally raised grass fed beef, and do my best to avoid eating or buying any feed-lot fattened beef or any raised with anti-biotics or growth hormones in the feed.(I seldom eat in restaurants any more...I prepare more than 95% of my own meals. I think the last time I ate at a restaurant, except when a friend and his GF were out here in Dec and took me to lunch at a local eatery, was early last Oct. That's about once every two months).

I do stir-fries with thin-sliced meat, which helps keep me from overcooking the veggies. I like slow-cooked roasts, med-well or well-done and sliced thin, but I really enjoy a good stew, with a lot of veggies, and the meat cooked until its just falling apart (I add most of the veggies after the meat has been cooking a while, so that they don't get over-cooked). I do the same with chicken.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like bloody meat. I do love slow cooked meat of just about any type including braised and barbequed. Thin marinated cuts like flank and skirt are a favorite too.

Here's a link to a ranch owned by an acquaintance of mine.
http://www.hcc-grassfed-beef.com/default.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.