Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

being crude

16K views 193 replies 75 participants last post by  gone johnson 
#1 ·

#72 ·
Guess he wouldn't like to be around me and my brother. I am 47 and he is 7 years the elder, we have fun together, we fish hard, laugh hard, cuss hard and drink hard liquer! We encourage others to join, have fun, tell stories and enjoy the outdoors! If a person dislikes the like that around and you think that type of person will be fishing where you will be, that is the time to go to your secrete pool, cause I don't think they want to be around a person who thinks everyone else is a snob or bitches about what everyone else is doing. When I feel like letting my inner WILLIAM WALLCE out, I always yell FREEEEEEDOMMMMMMM! Then continue fishing, drinking and enjoying fishing.

I have never hated another fisherman, well, that's a lie. Not because he was drinking, cussing, telling sex jokes, but the assjack steps within 30 feet of me wades in a starts to fish. Now that makes me angry!

#74 ·
If this forum has coarse language you don't like, I'd be more than happy to point you to a NW flyfishing site that is squeaky clean. It even has a censor program built into the website. It is nowhere as interesting as this site. This site has so much to offer, I consider it the best flyfishing site on The Internet. I'm willing to ignore the language because of what this place has to offer.

I've learned more in regards to flyfishing and flytying here in the few months I've been a member than the last five years on the other site. I gladly accept the trade-off when it comes to language.

#75 ·
I have never hated another fisherman, well, that's a lie. Not because he was drinking, cussing, telling sex jokes, but the assjack steps within 30 feet of me wades in a starts to fish. Now that makes me angry![/quote]

Me too!! :mad:

#78 ·
Me, I write comments that I never post.
You and me both...

This thread is by no means new. Meaning 1440 Gutenberg invents the printing press. 1532 Rabelais publishes his first in a series of novels re Gargantua and Pantagruel, the filthiest, foulest mouthed satirical asshat that, even to this day, makes Borat look like a fragile daisy or Adam Sandler the lowest form of comedic charlatan....

This is just from the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargantua_and_Pantagruel

"During a terrible storm at sea, Panurge is paralyzed with fear, but feigns insufferable bravura afterwards. After slaying a sea-monster, they arrive at Wild Island, where the half-sausage inhabitants... mistake Pantagruel for the enemy giant ....and attack. The battle is stopped by a divine winged pig, who excretes mustard on the battlefield"

"The book ends when Pantagruel fires a salute at the island of the Muses, and Panurge befouls himself at the sound."

"Now financially solvent for the first time, Panurge stops wearing his long codpiece and seeks advice about whom to marry . Various auguries all agree that if he marries, his wife will cheat on him, beat him, and rob him; but he egregiously reinterprets their prophecies in a more favorable light.... Pantagruel and Panurge take a sea voyage to consult the Oracle of Bacbuc.... Their ship is well-provisioned with the phallic herb Pantagruelion, for which Rabelais gives a ribald natural history."

And my personal LOL favorite:

"This volume begins with the miraculous birth of Gargantua after an 11-month pregnancy. The labor is so difficult, his mother threatens to castrate his father Lord Grangousier. The giant Gargantua is born calling for ale and with a yard-long erection, which provides much amusement to his female nurses in later chapters. After some indifferent education at home, he is sent to Paris where the crowds so annoy him that he drowns thousands of them in a flood of urine (the survivors laugh so much, the city is renamed "Par Ris"). He steals the bells of St. Anthony, but gives them back after a sophist makes ludicrously self-centered appeals for their return."

(If ever I have a eulogy where kind words are spoken (i.e. unlikely) I'd like something ridiculous along these lines, delivered in a serious Clouseau-ish french-accented monotone: "Boot, loved by his wife and kids and mourned by ludicrously self centered sophists who yearn for his return")

#77 ·
I never realized I was offending you with my foul language. I figured we were all adults, like you said, and a couple course words every now and then wasn't going to upset anyone. I guess I don't understand why it would.

As for the drunkenness, sex jokes, etc, I realized early on in my fishing and guiding career (at 17 years old to be precise), that a group of gentlemen removed from the company of their wives on a fishing trip will act as if they were sixteen again, regardless of their age. This was great news for me, because as a 17 year old, I fit right in. Men from ages 17 - 77 that I fished with all liked to have fun, mess around, tell dirty jokes, drink a bit too much, and enjoy the company of their buddies. If that meant being a little childish and silly, that was all in good fun and not meant to upset anybody.
Let's face it. I realize we have a few female members on here, but this forum is almost exclusively male, and could very well be referred to as "a sausage fest". With that in mind, this forum has some similarities to a group of guys hanging out away from their wives...
I would hate to think that this forum would go the way of so many modern media: sterilized of any content that's fun just because it might upset someone. Everyone being so worried about being PC, not using foul language, etc. that they can't just speak their mind would be a real loss for this or any other forum.

#80 ·
Speaking from experience, the sure fire best way to ruin this site is to start heavily censoring the posts. I assume that members actually look at the posts here before they join. If they don't, their mistake. Basically, if you join "you knew the job was dangerous before you took it". Joining and then attempting to change the site to your sensitivity is silly. If you're offended by the content of Playboy magazine, don't subscribe.

#81 ·
Hi Rob,

I suspect the behaviors you find offensive are no more prevalent among fly fishers, than they are among the general population. When one's personal threshold for such behaviors gets exceeded, "voting with one's feet" is probably a more rational approach, than is railing about a trend, which (in my opinion) is analogous to rowing against the tide. In other words, although it may be good exercise, or perhaps even psychologically therapeutic, it's unlikely to result in getting any closer to one's destination. :)

#87 ·
I missed a strike once, I said “Ah fu_k!
I lost a monster trout plenty of times, every time, I said, “Ah fu_k!”
I tripped on the riverbank a few times, every time, I said, “Ah fu_k!”
I starred into a few pools before and saw some beauties! I said, “Wholly sh_t!”
I’ve had a stellar fly fishing day before. I turned to my buddy and said, “What a good fu_king fishing day!”

I ended up smiling each time afterward. “Bless me Father, for I have sinned”.

#89 ·
I missed a strike once, I said "Ah fu_k!
I lost a monster trout plenty of times, every time, I said, "Ah fu_k!"
I tripped on the riverbank a few times, every time, I said, "Ah fu_k!"
I starred into a few pools before and saw some beauties! I said, "Wholly sh_t!"
I've had a stellar fly fishing day before. I turned to my buddy and said, "What a good fu_king fishing day!"

I ended up smiling each time afterward. "Bless me Father, for I have sinned".
As a mere child, many many decades ago, I spent my formative years as a young Marine. f**k was pretty much the adjective of choice in almost every verbal exchange. I suppose I was irreparably damaged by the experience (among other things)....

I don't use the word around anyone except select company...you know, adults I can trust to not shit their pants about hearing rather satisfying cuss words.

#100 ·
Looking at this and other sites, a common theme is cropping up; passing judgement on others. I'm sick of it.

If you don't like the way I walk, talk, handle fish, how I cast, crush my barb, park my car, clean my site, release a fish, drink, start a fire, eat, fart (its ALWAYS funny), cuss, move through a run, read water, dress, my gear choice, wading boots etc, etc, etc...Let me know in-person or shut your hole.

Seeking solitude from a-holes is a full-time gig.

At 42, one should be a bit more worldly and understand how to and how not to deal with people.

#104 ·
Looking at this and other sites, a common theme is cropping up; passing judgement on others. I'm sick of it.

If you don't like the way I walk, talk, handle fish, how I cast, crush my barb, park my car, clean my site, release a fish, drink, start a fire, eat, fart (its ALWAYS funny), cuss, move through a run, read water, dress, my gear choice, wading boots etc, etc, etc...Let me know in-person or shut your hole.

Seeking solitude from a-holes is a full-time gig.

At 42, one should be a bit more worldly and understand how to and how not to deal with people.
I'd been meaning to tell you that your wading boots suck.

#101 ·
People, first and foremost, this site isn't going to change. We're all different, so no one has the right to pass judgement. People get butthurt too easily anymore. I'm not one for feminized males, so I'll gladly keep doing as I do. ;)

#106 ·
People, first and foremost, this site isn't going to change. We're all different, so no one has the right to pass judgement. People get butthurt too easily anymore. I'm not one for feminized males, so I'll gladly keep doing as I do. ;)
Who's passing judgement? I'm not insulted by vulgarity. I just think it's stupid because it tells too much. If you get all uppity about it it's your problem...and we've just identified it.

#120 ·
Oh, and BTW, I more then visited, I was LIVING there. I was immersed into their cultures. So yeah, I saw quite a bit of their lifestyles.

#128 ·
Thank you all for proving my point.
Well we can't ALL have proven your point since there are a couple dozen points of view here. Some agreeing with you, some disagreeing with you, and some coming from an entirely different direction.

only point proven thus far is that we all see the world a little differently.
Evan has the right of it. The only thing you proved was that none of us are exactly the same. Thank god/allah/buddah/superman for that.

#124 ·
I cuss too much, just ask my wife, and she's right. I had to dig down deep to understand why I cuss. For me it's because I get all fired up and can't think of all the proper words to articulate what I'm thinking/feeling. So I revert to my younger and wilder days and throw out a fuck or two for no good reason. In reality it does little to get my point across in a constructive way and folks come away thinking I'm a crass person. And sometimes I am...for that I apologize. I'm trying to do better.

So how's it working for you?

#140 ·
Ya know...this thread has really given me pause to reflect on my use of swear words....I'm clearly not using them often enough. I'll work on it. Thank you for the encouragement! I'm done here.
i dont feel this site is a place to swear. do it at home or somewhere private. i have visited this site much less in the last year other than the classified partially because of it. i do swear but you will never hear me. thanks, mike w

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.