Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

My next boat?

Boats 
4K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Banff Visitor 
#1 ·
So I sold my 8' springcreek pram as it was just a little small for myself and my 6-year old daughter (heck, as I am 6'4" it was a little small for just me). I'm trying to decide what my next lake boat is, and looking for ideas. 10 ft pram? 12ft aluminum skiff? Mini-drifter? Looking for pros/cons, other ideas. Also hoping for more eyes to help me spot a good deal.

Rob

#2 ·
Rob, how much do you wish to branch out water wise? A drift boat set up to add/remove a kicker is a pretty versatile boat. Even of you go that hybrid drifter. Its not perfect for everything, but can handle a lot of situations.

#11 ·
Rob, how much do you wish to branch out water wise? A drift boat set up to add/remove a kicker is a pretty versatile boat. Even of you go that hybrid drifter. Its not perfect for everything, but can handle a lot of situations.
I like this idea (mostly because I've been toying around with the idea of picking up a DB), but also take a look at the smaller Duroboats, Smokercraft Alaskans, etc.

#4 ·
Jerry,

Probably looking for a rigid hull rather than inflatable as I would feel more comfortable with my daughter in that than in something with an open floor. However my rowing skills will probably mean I will not be venturing into anything too difficult on moving water in this craft. Inflatables certainly would open up more family floats on moving water, but a boat big enough to float the whole family and gear is bigger than I want for the small lakes we tend to fish. Its always that dilemma of what am I really going to use it for.

Rob

#5 ·
Jerry,

Probably looking for a rigid hull rather than inflatable as I would feel more comfortable with my daughter in that than in something with an open floor. However my rowing skills will probably mean I will not be venturing into anything too difficult on moving water in this craft. Inflatables certainly would open up more family floats on moving water, but a boat big enough to float the whole family and gear is bigger than I want for the small lakes we tend to fish. Its always that dilemma of what am I really going to use it for.

Rob
I posted up on another thread in the Watercraft forum. They do have the hybrid I was talking about. Pretty nice alternative. Plus, if you want to venture onto rivers once your rowing improves, you can still use it as such. Want to say it's called the Powerdrifter by Willie (and Alumaweld has one too). Pretty nice boats if you want only one boat. Nice hybrid between a driftboat and a traditional jon boat/deep V.

#7 ·
Rob,
A 1032 or 1232 Jon boats are a pretty inexpensive yet versatile craft for lake fishing.
A ton of different companies produce them. Not real heavy and will easily handle you and your daughter.
Jon boats always have decent resell value if you ever want to upgrade again.
SF

#12 ·
Be sure to keep in mind the lakes you fish. For myself, ( 6'1 280lbs) and my 10 year old son, my 10' Fish Rite aluminum pram is absolutely perfect. I've taken two kids and two adults, and while crowded, it was managable. The downside to this particular boat, is getting it down into our favorite local lake. It's doable, and I can even do it by myself in a pinch, but it's not super enjoyable. The blue raft that Ed and I passed back and forth a couple times was MUCH better for that particular lake. All in all though, I think for 2 people for stillwaters, it's hard to go wrong with a 10' pram. (I took my pram out in the salt several times this past silver season with zero issue. Also wouldn't hesitate to put it in a slower river... )

#13 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Right now I'm thinking something in the 10-12 foot aluminum range is probably going to do it. Not sure if I want more skiff-style and larger (requiring a trailer) or a John boat/pram which may allow me to go shorter and maybe still truck bed it. Of course if I stumble across the right glass or wood boat they might still get the nod.

#14 ·
Rob, I have two girls 6 and 9, and wanted the ability to take them on both lakes and easy moving water, and after much much research I went for a Koffler 13' Rocky Mountain Trout Boat. http://www.kofflerboats.com/rmt-boats/ . If it weren't for the girls I would have probably got a rubber boat for the versatility. But the aluminim has the easier ability to put in blankets, books, dolls, lay on the floor, take a nap, stay dry...you get the pick. You don't find these used very often, but it is a GREAT boat.
Mike

#16 ·
Rob, I have two girls 6 and 9, and wanted the ability to take them on both lakes and easy moving water, and after much much research I went for a Koffler 13' Rocky Mountain Trout Boat. http://www.kofflerboats.com/rmt-boats/ . If it weren't for the girls I would have probably got a rubber boat for the versatility. But the aluminim has the easier ability to put in blankets, books, dolls, lay on the floor, take a nap, stay dry...you get the pick. You don't find these used very often, but it is a GREAT boat.
Mike
How do you like that boat? I was looking at them a few times at the Sportsman Show in Portland. (my chuckbox is made by Koffler in fact). Our booth (I was working the Camp Chef cooking demos) was just across from Kofflers. They seem pretty nice. Haven't seen any in action (the Kofflers anyways).

#18 ·
Mike, Thanks for putting another option on my radar. Out of curiosity why did you pick the RMT over say a 12ft whitewater pram?
Rob, I can't speak for Mike, but if i recall right, those RMT's were a bit wider for the similar size over the pram. Plus believe they're shaped to be a bit more stable with fisherman fore/aft. Been a couple years since I've looked at one up close. But heading to Portland show in a couple weeks, will look at them again shortly. :)

#19 ·
I feel I have to interject something here. The guys who have the Koffler's and Fish Rite's. Read the capacity plate word for word and I think you will see that it says something to the effect of "this boat is to be used in shallow water, not far from shore" and according to the US Coast Guard (who visit every other year or so) aluminum prams with those capacity plates are not to be used, marketed or advertised to be used in stillwaters, as fabulous as they might be for the job. It really comes down to a business decision and have thought that all along. I knew, when we designed our Hopper II series that they wouldl be also used in stillwaters. So, I decided to use up valuable floor space, expend the additional expense in both man hours and materials to put in flotation compartments for ethe safety of my customers. If you purchased (if even available) a flotation kit from either Koffler or Fish Rite I commend you for doing so, If not, be sure to wear, not sit on your flotation device. I think all manufacturers marketing to a specific market should have to ALL play by the same set of rules. Just a manufacturers .02

#23 ·
I'm not totally sure I understand the gist of this post. Are you claiming these boats are less seaworthy than yours? Why does the coast guard take such a stance? If they are approved for shallow water, near shore, why would it be bad to market them for small stillwaters?

I've fished out of a Hopper II, and it's a sweet little boat for sure. However, for my money, I'll take the stability of my Fish Rite over it any day of the week. At 6'1 280lbs, I feel very confident in saying I feel much more comfortable in my Fish Rite than I do in the Hopper II. Again, absolutely nothing against your boats... If I was in the market for a glass boat I'd look hard at the Spring Creeks... Just trying to wrap my mind around all this.

#20 ·
Jim, Thanks for chiming in. I have read this from you several times, and certainly understand your points. I think your boats are well designed and constructed and I enjoyed the one I had. As stated, it just became too small for my needs. If I decide to go with another pram I certainly would still consider one of your 10' models. Oh, and PFDs are always worn in my boats.

#30 ·
Well, an update. I drove down to the Portland sportsmans show to talk to Joe Koffler and see the RMT boats. I may get one someday, but for now the size and weight will put too much of a crimp in the type of fishing I'm doing with my daughter (small local lakes, some of which you need to transport the boat short distances without the vehicle). As I stated previously I did like my spring creek pram, it was just too small. Solution - upgrade to a 10ft Hopper II off the board classifieds. Picking it up next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.