Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nice little Cutty

3K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  Tony Polizzi 
#1 ·
Largest of many cutts and salmon smolts (??) caught today . Many many chum fry out there.
Not a big one by any means but a nice fish that came out of the water and dove on my flatwing with a vengeance.
Jack View attachment 27626

#4 ·
Beautiful fish Jack! I did really well today as well, nothing huge, the biggest maybe 14"-15". The interesting thing was the size difference. I caught cutts from 4" all the way up to the 15"er, and every size in between. All feeding on the same point, pretty cool. I normally find them in rough size brackets, like 10"-14" or 14"-18".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
Hi Tony,
What a beaut! Nice way to christen a new outfit. I hope you realize it won't always be that great and hope you caught it on a fly YOU tied??????? By the way, thanks, I got your mail. All I wanted was to cover the postage. I'll "get even" :) with you someday.
Interesting the colour differences between your fish and mine. Look at the fins.
Best,
Jack
PS I didn't answer your question about nets. The "ghost" type net is good (I forget what the material is called). Some guys use forceps or the fancy release tools. I try and let the fish slip the hook if I can. If not, I use forceps and try not to touch or squeeze the fish. If things work out that there is an opportunity for a quick photo so be it.
Jack

#24 ·
Thanks, Regarding my "luck" has more to do with where I live/lifestyle. I'm able to fish my choice of fishyspots, the closest being 3minutesfrom my front door, also it is very important to point out that this amazing fishery is due to some folks who have advocated for and with great foresight created the fishery we are enjoying, for all I know that great fish I caught you carefully released some years before.

#8 ·
I'm working on the tying, but no, I did not tie this one, it is a Patten that made me want to learn to tie.
The color difference is amazing, north and south, to get even maybe you could tell me what I need to tie the fly I used today?

#15 ·
I got out today just before sunset and saw a, very aggressive pod of large fish hammering fry on the surface just out of range, I thought they were coho the way they were sharking the little fish. moving up and down the beach. As the tide started dropping, just as the sun disappeared beyond the horizon I hooked into one on a pretty large flatwing. I Back pedaled untill I could get it on the reel and as soon as I did It made a run and I got to hear my reel sing. After a couple minutes I got it to hand, It was just shy of the mark on my rod which is 22in. I couldn't have had a bigger smile on my face.

#16 ·
I must have missed this thread...Nice cutty Jack, and good to see everyone finding some. It amazes me how cutts, even smaller ones will just slam flatwings, I hit a beach a couple days ago and only found one 15" cutt but caught
a number of small (4" to 8") coho feeding on lots of chum fry, would have been nice to have some more cutts in there filling up on fry as well, but wasn't to be.

Pat, that's a trophy for sure!!!! Glad you found one of the big guys, just doesn't happen all that often....at least for me....
Mark

#26 ·
Its two tiny strips of bunny fur, olive over white. Each strip is a quarter inch long or so.

Look up Morrish small fry on the idylwilde fly web site.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks Jon,
The minute I saw the word Morrish I remembered the fly pattern.
Just tied a couple up.
Tried the arctic fox but it didn't work too well - Wabbit works best as in the original pattern.

I need some longer wabbit for some bigger flies.
Found this fairly good photo on-line. One can see the wabbit hide where it is tied in.

Feather Wing Electric blue Tail Macro photography

#28 ·
I fished the Morrish small fry today. Good results. Three nice 14"-15" cutts and a chum around 4.5 inches. My friend fished my rig awhile and got himself a nice cutt too.
I like the pattern and would like to tie some a bit longer. The rabbit I have is short. Going to look for some longer stuff over the weekend.
jack

#31 ·
"olive craft fur over the top, purple lite bright/angel hair body and tail with a little green krystal flash and white craft fur throat."
Thanks
Tony,
I haven't been able to find a description of Ken Morrish's Small Fry - only some photos. For sure, the wing and throat are rabbit fur, olive and white. 1/8" straight cut works best. About 1/4 inch long as suggested by Porterhause is perfect.
I went with Gary's suggestion of angel hair and it works great. I used some olive krystal flash but other colors would work too. I used pearl braid for the body but there too other materials would be fine.
A good effective and proven pattern. Thanks Ken Morrish.
Jack

#37 ·
Glad to hear that, Tony.
That type of jaws and cam lever take a bit fiddling to get the hook tight but once you are familiar with it, you can tie anything on that vise. After you tie on it for a while, you will probably know just what you will want in a better vise.
Jack

#38 ·
Nice meeting you today Toni and I'm glad I could be of help. Your pictures a bit blurry but the fly looks good and should do the trick.

Enjoy the Featherlight Jack....I got the other one, we'll have to brake em in on some monster
10 inchers. :) It's a little faster than my Cabelas glass but should be fun to play with this summer.

Nice one Pat, and good looking pattern.
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.