Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

shad on the snake

3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  cmann886 
#1 ·
am ready to get my first shad but dont want to drive all day. been looking at ice harbor and/or lower monumental. does anybody have any experience with shad fishing on the snake? they are only 50 miles from the front door. thanks, mike w

#2 ·
I don't know the answer to your question, but I've sure been wondering the same thing. Drop me a line if you go.

How's that G. Loomis been treating you?

#3 ·
Used to be a fairly productive drift below Ice Harbor. Never did any good below Lo Mo. PM if interested. Years have suggested that I limit my former scrambles over rip-rap (damn it; it's frustrating to get older AND wiser, lol.).

#5 ·
I know how you feel. I was on the Big Hole by the power plant. Just above the small dam there is rip-rap to crawl over to get down to the pool to fish. I tried to get down but age and wisdom kept me off of it.

When I was young and dumb I would of been over those rocks in a heart beat. Now that I'm older and wiser I turned around and left. The fish were rising but my body wasn't into it. I don't need to fall at my age. If I break anything it will be a long time healing.

#4 ·
I normally do reasonably well below Ice Harbor very early in the morning. For me things drop off after 0700. The last couple of years have been tough fishing due to the high water flows and the very slick rocks. At times it can get crowded with gear fishermen. I generally go about a week after the count at McNary hits 30,000.

#6 ·
I normally do reasonably well below Ice Harbor very early in the morning. For me things drop off after 0700. The last couple of years have been tough fishing due to the high water flows and the very slick rocks. At times it can get crowded with gear fishermen. I generally go about a week after the count at McNary hits 30,000.
I did not know shad ran up the Snake. A new thing learned.

#11 ·
Shad do indeed go up the Snake, but in far fewer numbers than what you find in the lower portion of the mainstem Columbia. Shad on the Snake pass Lower Granite Dam, and could be entering Idaho, but to my knowledge no one has documented just how far they go. The upper limit of their migration on the Columbia itself is Priest Rapids Dam, where they are blocked from going further up by inadequate fish passage design. This is on purpose.

Here's a link to the shad counts through DART:
http://www.cbr.washington.edu/dart/query/adult_graph_text

#22 ·
The upper limit of their migration on the Columbia itself is Priest Rapids Dam, where they are blocked from going further up by inadequate fish passage design. This is on purpose.
So, if there was the will and the resources, does this mean it would be possible to rework the fish ladders at say Bonneville, to block shad while letting native species through? Thus eliminating the impact of vast numbers of shad fry scarfing up the food in the reservoirs that the salmon smolts need for their slow passage to sea in a dammed up river?

Jay

#16 ·
bill, try this site; columbia river dart(data access in real time) adult passage counts. if it works play with to find all the dans and fish. if it doesnt work, dont call me cuz i will be fishing, lol.
If you check that site out Mike, you will see shad aren't counted at all locations. Hence my question. I'd like a shorter drive, the same as you and wish I could find shad counts at the upstream dams.

#19 ·
fished below ice harbor on Saturday from 0430 to about 0900. I didn't touch a fish, not even an incidental bass, which is unusual. I only saw 3 shad caught by gear fishermen. Typically with the numbers going over ice harbor, the river below is full of shad. I don't know why things were so off for me, I haven't paid much attention to moon phases in the past, but we did have a full moon on Friday.

#24 ·
So, if there was the will and the resources, does this mean it would be possible to rework the fish ladders at say Bonneville, to block shad while letting native species through? Thus eliminating the impact of vast numbers of shad fry scarfing up the food in the reservoirs that the salmon smolts need for their slow passage to sea in a dammed up river?
Presumably, but a portion of the run uses the navigation locks at Bonneville, and not the ladder. This is why counts at The Dalles are usually greater than at Bonneville.

I think the reason why they don't want them going above Priest Rapids Dam is that it would provide access to additional spawning habitat, and could increase the overall population size. I posted a thread here a couple days ago that provides a link to an article that shows the link between the dams and shad in the Columbia.

#25 ·
it is a fishery that provides enjoyment and eating. i have not caught one but intend to do so some day. what if the shad fishers want salmon/steelhead blocked at some dam? i know it would not happen but it is just a thought. am going to lomo on wed or thurs. mike w

#26 ·
I love catching shad. One of the most fun fish in the world. The only one that I have ever had to hand, had the fish slip out and then take out more line on another run. The larger females should be in the river at ice harbor this week. I haven't ever fished lower mo. so I have no idea how that might fish. I'll probably give ice harbor one more go this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.