Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Switch or Spey?

Spey 
2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  hydrological 
#1 ·
On a recent trip to Pyramid Lake, an old baseball elbow injury reemerged after casting a shooting head with my 8 weight for 4 days. More than two months later, my elbow is still giving me problems so I've been thinking of buying my first two-handed rod. The problem is that I have no experience with such rods and don't know where to begin.

I would use it at Pyramid Lake twice a year with a fast sinking tip to hopefully increase my casting distance and save my elbow and for the occasional steelhead/salmon trip to the PNW. I'm leaning toward a 7 weight or 6/7 weight. Looking at a TCX or TFO Deer Creek and would also consider Echo. But first need to determine whether a switch or spey rod would be best for my intended use? Any advice appreciated.

G
#2 ·
I would say spey for learning but if you know what your doing then go with a switch. I started with a 7 wt switch rod, and had lots of trouble, then bought an 8wt 13'6 echo tr and things started to click. That 7wt now is substantially easier than before because the spey is a little more forgiving in my opinion when your learning

#4 ·
Are you planning on using the rod for spey type casts or overhead casts at Pyramid Lake? For spey casts, I would suggest a spey rod for some of the reasons that Bass stated above. Although some of the newer switch rods are in the 11.5' length and shouldn't be too difficult to learn. If you plan on doing overhead/two handed casting, I would suggest a switch. The lines you choose will depend on the type of casting and flies that you want to throw. From the choices that you mentioned, I would go for the TCX. They're great rods and you can get a great deal right now on closeout. If you plan on using your rod for steelheading, specifically winter steelheading, I would go for a 7 weight.

#5 ·
I would go with a switch overhead casting in a 6wt over head or even a 5wt if you want to match the single handed 8wt. Two handed rods are 2-3 lines over equivalent single handers when you are talking about TCX or One. TCX at 11' 9" is very close to a full spey and lighter and faster than most switch rods out there. Shoot us an email at Reds and lets see if we have some TCX in stock that are discontinued. We always set up custom packages at Reds at great prices.

craig@redsflyshop.com

#7 ·
I would give Craig from Reds a call. He helped to set me up with the right line for a 5 wt. switch rod which is now my favorite. The rod when correctly matched to the line was unbelievable. My 7 wt. is just alot heavier and doen't realy put out any more line that the 5 wt. now that it is correctly matched. The new Redington prospector is a very nice rod if you are not persuaded by the TCX. For what you described the 5 wt. would probably do what you needed unless you plan some big river fishing for winter steel.

#8 ·
Switch for that two handed water haul and launch cast. Super short extreme weight forward line will deliver the goods with minimal effort. Docstash speaks solid logic.

#9 ·
Well now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. After receiving the first few comments, I found a deal on a TCX 7126-4 and bought it. Will I be overgunned at Pyramid with it..the winds are pretty gnarly there? I could possibly return the rod and buy a 6 weight switch. Your thoughts?

#14 ·
Doesn't sound like you'll get much on the water practice if you only intend to fish a handful of time as year...learning to two hand cast takes time and commitment. Without those two you will be very frustrated. The best advice would be to seek treatment for your elbow or learn to cast with the other arm.

I actually don't mind complaining about my shoulder hurting after a week of hard fishing...just wish it happened more.

#15 ·
Well now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. After receiving the first few comments, I found a deal on a TCX 7126-4 and bought it. Will I be overgunned at Pyramid with it..the winds are pretty gnarly there? I could possibly return the rod and buy a 6 weight switch. Your thoughts?
if you wanna get rid of the 7126 let me know I have a bnit Buelah 11 for 7 switch platinum maybe we could do a trade plus cash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.