Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Well, I am going to need a lot of advice and help

2K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  Olive bugger 
#1 ·
My fishing days are numbered, I fear.

Just a few years ago, like, say maybe 15 years ago, I purchased a fishing license from Fred Meyer over in Totem Lake. For being a valued customer, and having cash in hand, they gave me a small vinyl folder to hold the license, punchcard, and instructions. This small green icon was a fish magnet. Put it in my pocket and walk by a body of water and fish would jump just to get my attention.

Well, today, an era came to a crashing end. I took it out of the hidey hole where I keep it, and found that the plastic had cracked at the seam and was almost in two pieces.

My first thought was duct tape (or duck tape if you prefer), but the color gray would clash with the green and red of the vinyl.

If I knew where to go for a replacement! But then, even so, I am certain that the juju is gone and the fish will ignore me with contemptuous behavior.

So I approach this august chamber of learned minds and ask,
"where can I get another one?"

See less See more
#7 ·
You can beat this rap. Buy a generous piece of bleached coastal deer hair and tie the entire piece up into EHC's and give them away to friends, buddies and other needy fishing folk. That will restore your mojo. Then take the now sheared piece of deer hide and stitch it into a neat leather folder for your license. Vinyl has lost most of it's charm and leather has a lot more juju these days. Your newly acquired class will attract an even better grade of fish and the world will be right again.

I'll take a half dozen of those EHC's if you have any left over.

Ive

#8 ·
You can beat this rap. Buy a generous piece of bleached coastal deer hair and tie the entire piece up into EHC's and give them away to friends, buddies and other needy fishing folk. That will restore your mojo. Then take the now sheared piece of deer hide and stitch it into a neat leather folder for your license. Vinyl has lost most of it's charm and leather has a lot more juju these days. Your newly acquired class will attract an even better grade of fish and the world will be right again.

I'll take a half dozen of those EHC's if you have any left over.

Ive
Better grade of fish, I'm all over that one.

Jim, I am nothing, if I am not a completely honest individual. I never lie. I stretch the heck out of the truth from time to time, but I never lie. Well, maybe once in a while. But none of my fabrications are of any size or consequence. Ok so, I hold titles.

#9 ·
Better grade of fish, I'm all over that one.

Jim, I am nothing, if I am not a completely honest individual. I never lie. I stretch the heck out of the truth from time to time, but I never lie. Well, maybe once in a while. But none of my fabrications are of any size or consequence. Ok so, I hold titles.
Us old people never tell lies. That's why we are so old. You have to be pure of heart to be old and still around. I was going to go fishing today but it was to damn hot out. 92 before noon. Maybe tomorrow.

#14 ·
Charlie, I know just what you mean about the juju. Nine years ago I got a black one in King Salmon, AK. It held my first Alaska fishing license, and that is still in there along side my current WA license.

I have a fix for you, that will not only fix it but even perhaps, just perhaps, add to the juju: take some used monofilament about six lb test, that has been fished and has felt the strain of piscatorial life and death struggles. Get a suitable sized hand sewing needle. Stitch it together at the edge and lacquer the knots at each end.

No sense in getting rid of something that can stick with you and keep those fish jumping!

"Sir! I can fix that!" ~Navin Johnson, The Jerk

#17 ·
Naugas are a protected species here, Alex. That is not to say that I am above poaching for them, but being an almost honest person, I find it
disturbing to be sitting high in my apple tree, in my nauga blind, at the stroke of midnight with my 2,000,000 candle power flashlight and
awaiting the appearance of a miscreant nauga.

My neighbors find it even more disturbing.

#19 ·
I have a head mount of a bull Nauga above the fireplace in my man cave. I could cut a strip from a less visible part of it and send it to you.

TC

Reactions: Thom Collins
#20 ·
Well, the dilemma is over!

Scrounging through my underwear drawer, I found a replacement vinyl fishing license cover. There are some cautionary issues however. This newer cover is in fact ORANGE! It is emblazoned with the name "SPORTEE''S" in rich, black script.

Now if I were a completely honest person, I would confess that this was probably part of a HUNTING license purchase at some distant time in the past. My first clue is that SPORTEE''S is no longer in business.I do not recall ever having purchased a fishing license there and the color scheme, is a dead giveaway.I am not certain about the ju ju but I suspect that the fish may ignore me, but I will be really big with the wildlife otherwise.

#22 ·
I am nothing, if I am not sketcHy, Jim.

There are a lot of old fishing stories about catching a boot with gear.
Perhaps I can tempt fate and tie a new fly pattern using old boot laces. Maybe call it the REDWING LAMENT.

#24 ·
Charlie, orange is where its at these days. My cheap vinyl fishing license wallet is orange, has the name "North American Hunting Club" circling a Bald Eagle that is holding a hunting rifle and a bow and some arrows in its claws, has the saying "Preserve Our Hunting Heritage" written underneath that, and on the back side, says "Made in China."

I got in in the mail for free, unsolicited! You can't buy 'em anywhere. You just have to wait patiently for one to show up. If you have bad fishing karma, then fuggettabouddit!

But if you haven't pissed off the fishing gods, then its well worth the wait.
This thing is oozing with juju.;)

#26 ·
I hate to tell you this but they make more colors of duct tape than just gray now. You must not watch enough of the Red Green show. There may be time to save it yet and seal in all that good juju.

Do you know how to work a cell phone? I think you just might be a good friend for OMJ to call.

:D

#30 ·
Well, my original assessment was correct. The ju ju is gone!
Seems that the manufacturer of the ORANGE folder was not
in sync with the orignial printer of the WDFW fishing license.
The case is too small to hold the fishing license, punch card,
list of river codes, Discover pass and WDFW access pass.

But Mrs. Olive, Bless her heart, came to the rescue with an old
plastic of some sort, perhaps vinyl, that will hold all but the Discover pass and the WDFW access pass. Since these will be assigned to my fishing vehicle anyway, I will just purchase a new and larger automobile to hold them.

This new cover is also a plain black wrapper. Not certain how that will set with the fish. Green is such a natural color, and the fish seemed to have overlook the red lettering emblazoned on the wrapper.
This may be the Harbinger of my fishing demise. I may have caught my last fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.