Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coming to a camp near you soon.....maybe

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  jeff bandy 
#1 ·
I just received my new Camp Chef Pizza Oven last week to do demos on at the big Cabelas Great Outdoors Days for their select members. I haven't cooked a pizza in it yet, but basically did mini breakfast pizza's on small tortilla shells with eggs, potatoes, and peppers with cheese melted over it. This unit worked pretty damned nice (and has a pizza stone built in). Gonna work on it more, but may be a new favorite to bring to camps with me. :)

See less See more
#3 ·
My peel?

This event was for the big spenders. And I mean BIG. They do have the open to public one in early fall.

G
#4 ·
Jerry -

So this will fit on an Outdoorsman 2 burner?

After looking at a YouTube video, I don't see why you couldn't also bake biscuits right on the stone. I just rode out of a wilderness area where I was baking biscuits for biscuits and my red eye gravy in a Dutch oven over coals. It's not hard that way but even with a 14" Dutchie, you can only make about 8 biscuits at a time. With a group of 12 - 15 that's a pain.

Keep me posted on your tests ok?

Trapper

#7 ·
Jerry -

So this will fit on an Outdoorsman 2 burner?

After looking at a YouTube video, I don't see why you couldn't also bake biscuits right on the stone. I just rode out of a wilderness area where I was baking biscuits for biscuits and my red eye gravy in a Dutch oven over coals. It's not hard that way but even with a 14" Dutchie, you can only make about 8 biscuits at a time. With a group of 12 - 15 that's a pain.

Keep me posted on your tests ok?

Trapper
Yup it'll fit, but your stove may be a tad too hot. I'm assuming you have the Hi/Lo unit. Unless you can gear that high output unit down. The oven can only be used at medium on the low output due to the pizza stone cracks at too high of heat I do believe. I was told NOT to run it over medium on the standard output (low output/30k btu) stoves.

I'll try doing biscuits. Once you let the oven warm up, it runs really well. So will try and let you know.

Jerry -

I've never figured out why Camp Chef doesn't offer legs that are longer and are built with metal tighteners that allow you to adjust the leg length to level the stove.

The stoves all still have the tapped hole which used to have a bracket for the legs and wind screen, but they don't supply that bracket with the stoves and I can't find one any where.

Packing all this gear on a mule is not something most people will do with Camp Chef products, but I sure wish I could find that bracket and adjustable legs to level the stove on the uneven ground I'm cooking on all the time like this:

Trapper
I know exactly what you mean. I've become pretty good at adjusting the legs partially in to adjust to the ground. I think it's cost that stops them from adding the screw leg adjustment. I have some tables that have the adjustment you're talking about and I love them. I've used wedges to adjust my stoves. LOL. You can find the shelf you're talking about at Camp Chef's website and I do believe on Amazon (which would be cheaper).

With all the gear you have , you must need a Kenworth with a 40" trailer to go camping
LOL, Noooooooooooooooooo. It LITERALLY would take a big cargo box trailer to load all the gear I have. If I brought it all at once. I always plan my camps, and only take the gear I will need to cook the meals I plan on making. So though I have a lot of gear (you have no idea how much) I never take more then a small fraction of it. In fact, the new 3X Explorer has become my stove of choice. Which almost deletes my needs to bring 2 stoves constantly.

G
#5 ·
Jerry -

I've never figured out why Camp Chef doesn't offer legs that are longer and are built with metal tighteners that allow you to adjust the leg length to level the stove.

The stoves all still have the tapped hole which used to have a bracket for the legs and wind screen, but they don't supply that bracket with the stoves and I can't find one any where.

Packing all this gear on a mule is not something most people will do with Camp Chef products, but I sure wish I could find that bracket and adjustable legs to level the stove on the uneven ground I'm cooking on all the time like this:

Trapper

G
#6 ·
I just received my new Camp Chef Pizza Oven last week to do demos on at the big Cabelas Great Outdoors Days for their select members. I haven't cooked a pizza in it yet, but basically did mini breakfast pizza's on small tortilla shells with eggs, potatoes, and peppers with cheese melted over it. This unit worked pretty damned nice (and has a pizza stone built in). Gonna work on it more, but may be a new favorite to bring to camps with me. :)

With all the gear you have , you must need a Kenworth with a 40" trailer to go camping

#8 ·
Wow, I just went to their website. I didn't see the shelves. Hmmmmmmm. I may keep a close guard on mine until I find out what's the deal. They do sell a 24" extension leg to raise up the stoves. But hmmmmmmm, interesting on the shelf.

G
#10 ·
I got a reply from Camp Chef:

Dear Trapper,

Your question regarding product Outdoorsman High Pressure Double Burner Stove has been answered

Your question:
Your site says the 24" leg extensions will add 24" to the height of the stove. Since the 2 burner is already 29", do you don't really mean the accessory leg extensions will bring the stove to 53"! So what will the real height be? I pack my 2-burner Outdoorsman on mules to cook in the back country. I would like to see these accessories: -- Legs that can truly make leveling the stove on very uneven surfaces so that I don't have to shim the legs on rocks or pieces of wood which could make for a potential hazard if someone bumps the stove with hot food on it. -- The leg shelf kit that allows me to secure the legs and windscreen to the stove. This used to be included with your stoves and now I cannot find it anywhere. You have the tapped screw hole for it, but not the bracket or screw. -- An optional accessory of metal instead of plastic on the controls and the leg tighteners. The plastic ones don't last a mile on a pack trip trail. Thanks, Trapper

Their answer is:
The 24" leg extensions are the exact same as the ones that came with your stove. They are replacement legs or leg extensions to the actual stove. You cannot add another set to the legs that are already on your stove.

We are in the process of creating a leg leveler, so stay tuned for that.

As for the leg tie down, (what you are referring to as the leg shelf kit), that is an accessory that you can purchase separately. Part number 330033.

As for the metal knobs, they would get to hot, that is why we go with a hard plastic. We do have metal thumb screws for the legs, part number 0767.

I will pass all this information along to our product development department. Thanks for the suggestions. We are always looking to improve our products.

G
#11 ·
The number for the leg kit was wrong, but if you call 1-800-650-2433 and tell them what you want they'll get it ordered for you. Neither the shelf kit/leg tie down kit nor metal thumb screws are listed on their website, so you can't order them that way.

I told the sender I'd replaced their plastic control knobs with metal ones years ago and they don't get hot at all.

Trapper

#12 ·
Well, I'm a prostaffer for Camp Chef, so I'll just go directly to the source. LOL. I'll contact my rep there and see what he has to say.

Had an idea though, could buy the "extenstions" and just simply cut them down. Then have the screw adjustment bottom welded on.

#14 ·
Ok, those extensions are full length. If you only want a 10" extension, take a hacksaw and take 14" off. Then have a buddy who welds weld in a piece on the bottom with a threaded insert that you can put a bolt with flat bottom on. That way you have a 10" extension and leveler all in one. :)

With your idea, I may expand upon it. :)

G
#15 ·
I was thinking of just buying 4 pieces of pipe 12" long that would slide over the bottom of the legs. Then, I'd drill and tap a hole near the top of the extension for a thumb set screw. That way I'd have the extension, plus the leveler, and the extension would slide up the leg for packing.

Trapper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.