Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

7/23 MA9 report

2K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Dipnet 
#1 ·
I hit the beaches for the first time this year. I was at a popular Kitsap county locale at 5:00, with the beach already holding a fair number of anglers. I saw a few fish taken sporadically, but no big pods passing through. Two fish to hand, and I called it a morning at 8:30.

Automotive lighting Hood Fish Asphalt Seafood

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks for the report. Still pretty hit or miss right now it seems. Glad you got it on a "hit" day! Monday at a different MA9 beach, our group of 3 had 4 hookups and 2 fish to the beach (pinks). That was the only action for anyone on the beach all morning except a king caught on herring.

#18 ·
I also fished an area 9 beach Sunday and Monday. I get my one trip to Whidbey every year, and every year I fish the same way- find the lowest of the low tides during which there is never any current, very little wind (hopefully, and no south wind pleez!), on a total sandy bottom. Wade out as far as I can go and cast at any dimple that I see on the surface, salmon sized or teeny, and at any bait swimming around, of course. Two coho and a humpy, all on a chartreuse over white size six clouser. The humpy was a surprise, and really took me for a ride, well into my backing. My family got some crab too...
Fish hook Fin Fish Ray-finned fish Tail

Fish Automotive lighting Food Net Ray-finned fish

#21 ·
I hit a westside MA9 beach today without a lot of love.

Started out at about 9 a.m. and the only excitement was at about 2 p.m. when a 5 or 6 lb. fish zoomed in at hyper-speed and tried to grab my fly about 10 ft. away from my feet. I was so startled (was gettin' really used to nothing happenin') that I stopped the retrieve and obviously the fish decided "I'm outta here!"

Lesson learned!

Saw 3 silvers landed by bait/gear fishermen. One about 5 lbs. and the others smaller.

I also found that the bullhead in this area absolutely love chartreuse! Any time I put out a fly with chartreuse I had nonstop sculpin action!

#24 ·
I also found that the bullhead in this area absolutely love chartreuse! Any time I put out a fly with chartreuse I had nonstop sculpin action!
Edit: Stonefish beat me to it...strip faster. I can't remember the last time I caught a bullhead.

#23 ·
Tim,
If you are filling up your bullhead punchcard, it is time to start stripping faster.....;)

Bummer about not hooking up that bigger fish. At the end of each retrieve, swing your rod across your body. Lots of times that accelerated up current action of your pattern will get the followers to eat right at the rod tip.
SF

#27 ·
Yeah, after nearly filling that particular CRC I did step up the stripping action but still caught the occasional staghorn when using a chartreuse pattern. They didn't seem to care much for other colors.

Foggy and breezy most of the day and even when the fog started to burn off mid-afternoon the NW wind had me wishin' I'd brought more than just my lightweight Patagucci jacket! Brrrrr!

It was cool to watch a bald eagle feeding on some fish offal about 50 feet down the beach from me and at least there weren't the crowds that I expect are currently prowling the beaches at PNP!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.