Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Confusing Stillaguamish river rules

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Dr. Magill 
#1 ·
from Marine Drive upstream to forks (876) Closed waters - from water control structure/barrier dam (downstream of I-5) downstream 200'
ALL SPECIES - June 1-Nov. 30: selective gear rules. Aug. 1-Nov. 30: night closure.
All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Nov. 30 Catch-and-release except up to 2 hatchery STEELHEAD may be retained.
TROUT Dec. 1-Jan. 31 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish Dec. 1-Jan. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Sept. 1-Dec. 31 Min. size 12". Daily limit 2 plus 2 additional PINK. Release CHINOOK and CHUM.

The confusing part:
ALL SPECIES - June 1-Nov. 30: selective gear rules. Aug. 1-Nov. 30
TROUT Dec. 1-Jan. 31 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish Dec. 1-Jan. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.

Does this make sense to anyone? I had 4 people look at this and also the guy at Cabela's and everyone seems confused.. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/

See less See more
#3 ·
I can fish all species from June, and all game fish, but I can't fish trout or other game fish?
Trout and steelhead are listed under game fish.. So the first half of the rules says I can fish for Trout and game fish, but then the second half says I can't fish for Trout or game fish?? How can I catch and release steelhead after June when I am not suppose to catch trout or game fish until Dec 1st.. and what is other game fish.. :confused:

#5 ·
So from First Sat. in June-Nov. 30 is catch and release only and special gear rules, except for 2 steelhead you can keep. After Dec 1st I can catch anything with no special gear rules or night closures?
I always heard that the stilly always had special gears rule at all times and always night closures. All other rivers make sense to me, just this one is giving me a hard time., :(
It's probably a conflict of what I hear from people verses what I am reading..

#9 ·
It's probably a conflict of what I hear from people verses what I am reading..
Never, ever go by what people tell you instead of the regs. The regs change from year to year plus there are a lot of people who either don't read the regs or only comprehend what they want to. Read them with an open mind, because going in with a presumption that you think you know what it should/will say can lead to confusion, as in this case.

#7 ·
From June 1 - Nov 30th, fishing for all species, you must use selective gear.

- During this time, you can keep 2 hatchery steelhead. All other game fish you catch must be released, including trout and wild steelhead. If you caught food fish, the statewide regs would apply.

Then starting Dec 1 - Jan 31st, the selective gear rules and night closure go away.

- During this time, you can keep 2 trout that are 14" and over. This would include searun cutts, resident rainbow, and hatchery steelhead. All wild steelhead and dolly/bull trout must be released (statewide rule).

- During this time, for game fish other than trout (whitefish, etc.), the statewide regs apply. For instance, you could catch and keep up to 15 whitefish, no min. size.

Hope this helps!

#12 ·
From June 1 - Nov 30th, you can fish for all species but must use selective gear.

- During this time, you can keep 2 hatchery steelhead. All other game fish you catch must be released, including trout and wild steelhead. If you caught food fish, the statewide regs would apply.

Then starting Dec 1 - Jan 31st, the selective gear rules and night closure go away.

- During this time, you can keep 2 trout that are 14" and over. This would include searun cutts, resident rainbow, and hatchery steelhead. All wild steelhead and dolly/bull trout must be released (statewide rule).

- During this time, for game fish other than trout (whitefish, etc.), the statewide regs apply. For instance, you could catch and keep up to 15 whitefish, no min. size.

Hope this helps!
Yes, that was very helpful thank you. I not only just understand that specific section now, but I have a better under standing of how the guidelines in the rule book are explained.

#13 ·
PatrickH,

Thank you for taking the rules/regulations seriously, and for your determination to achieve understanding. Unfortunately, you might find yourself fishing alongside some other anglers who might have their own interpretations. Kudos to you for listening for clarity, and most of all, legality!
I always like to be 100% sure. Last thing in the word I need are fines or my gear taken away. Rules are usualy there for a reason.

#15 ·
The night closure was put there to keep people from going out and snagging the salmon that come up river. It probably really didn't help because if somebody is going to poach they are going to poach no matter what the rules say it's so.

You have to sit down with an open mind. If you catch and release. The rules should be simple.

#16 ·
I went with someone who snagged fish, I wasn't doing it though, I was just watching him years ago. It's pretty amazing how easy it is to snag fish and actually catch one doing it. Makes you think that if you just drag your line a few times and catch a fish, there must be allot of fish in the river. Not catching them on lures, but there sure is allot in the short area he was casting. I don't encourage it either, I think it's wrong and makes me mad when people do it, but he was going to do it anyway, so I just went with him to watch what it was all about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.