Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

wading jacket vs rain jacket

31K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  Darthmonkey 
#1 ·
Need a jacket for fishing and shit when I saw what Simms is asking for there jackets. Is there really a big difference between a wading jacket and rain jacket. I just want something that will keep me dry. I'll use my layers to keep me warm. Guys got any suggestions for something well under 200 and closer to 100?

#2 ·
Well, AFAIK the only difference between a typical "rain jacket" and a "wading jacket" is the length of the thing (and perhaps some more fly-fishing specific pockets and D-rings).

I just got a Frogg Toggs ToadTek wading jacket as a birthday gift about a month ago. I think you can find these for about $60 or so. As you said, you can sure spend a lot more on a wading jacket!

It's a lot shorter than the old Marmot rain shell I'd been using but the material in the Frogg Toggs jacket is much more stiff than the Marmot Membrain material. I've read that it gets a bit more pliable with use.

The new jacket still packs up reasonably small in the OR compression stuff-sack I bought and with the stuff-sack still weighs about 22 oz. according to my postal scale. Many of the other wading jackets I'd looked at are much heavier (and consequently more durable and feature-laden I would think).

It works for me. I just wanted a reasonably light jacket that would shed rain well. I've only used the new jacket once so can't attest to its durability but so far, so good.

#3 ·
I'd like to post that since I got my Simm's wading jacket my catch rate has gone way up. However, that isn't true. I used to catch more steelhead while wearing non-breathable Helly Hanson heavy duty rain slicker and even a cheap coated nylon rain slicker that folded up into my fishing vest (we all wore fishing vests in those days).

The only reason Simms and other tackle companies sell wading jackets instead of coats is because the extra length of a coat is irrelevant when you're wearing chest high waders.

Before Yuppies came along and took up fly fishing, there wasn't all that much fly fishing specific clothing and accessory gear. Fishermen just used regular that over-lapped hiking, hunting, camping, and other general outdoor gear.

Look at Sierra Trading Post closeouts. They always have parkas and rain gear on sale. I got a nice super-lightweight non-breathable rain jacket years ago for $20 there. Still have it; it's a great backup because it's so light and low bulk.

Sg

#28 ·
Totally agree!

I love my G3 jacket (or any other well made fishing rain jacket) over my regular rain jackets because:

- Its super durable
- The hand pockets are perfect location for my non swinging hand
- I can cinch the sleeves down when I reach into the water without getting a wet arm
- It has enough pockets to store what I need on the water without being in the way of my casting...and more importantly when I'm rowing.
- Its had a bunch of hooks in it and somehow still keeps me dry

I've had my G3 jacket for a few years now so now I'm in the mode of having to retreat it every year with the gore-tex restore in the dryer stuff. I will continue to rely on this jacket until it falls apart which I don't expect that to happen any time soon. I stuggled with paying those dollars for the jacket but in my case it was money that well invested because I'm in it all of the time...and staying dryer than a regular rain jacket.

Good luck in your decisions,
Christian

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

#7 ·
I have 2 Patagonia fly fishing-specific jackets. While I love the bomber fabric, huge fly box pockets and the other fly fishing specific features, 95% of the time I take my Marmot Precip. It is much lighter, more flexible and more packable and I don't find it overly long. If you already have a hiking rain coat, it should work for you. If you don't, like Sg said, look for a lightweight, waterproof breathable shorter rain coat on STP. It should work fine and someday if you splurge on a fishing jacket, it will make a great back-up. If you go on a multi-day camping fishing trip in the rain, you'll appreciate a dry jacket in camp.

#8 ·
Yes, just keep looking and you will find a close out jacket. Sierra or even cabelas. My Patagonia was $100 on rei-outlet.com and I got a cabelas brand wading jacket that was about 100$ after the discounts.

Also, watch for Columbia wading jackets. I sometimes see them price reduced

Don't be in a rush and it will come.

#9 ·
I found a great Simms Wading Jacket on ebay brand new for $140. I love it because of the pockets and the built in retractors. Before that i always just used my patagonia shell and it was great also, just the wading jacket made it nice bc you can fit a ton of gear in it and not worry bout wearing a vest or chest pack also.

#10 ·
Before Yuppies came along and took up fly fishing, there wasn't all that much fly fishing specific clothing and accessory gear. Fishermen just used regular that over-lapped hiking, hunting, camping, and other general outdoor gear.

Look at Sierra Trading Post closeouts. They always have parkas and rain gear on sale. I got a nice super-lightweight non-breathable rain jacket years ago for $20 there. Still have it; it's a great backup because it's so light and low bulk.
I couldn't say it any better. Also, if you are near a Columbia Sportswear outlet store, sometimes you can pick up a short rain jacket for a song from the outlet store.

Other than the larger pockets that work well for fly boxes, there is no huge benefit to an expensive wading jacket when you're basically paying for the logo patch.

#11 ·
If you fish saltwater and occasionally wade to your waist, your jacket will get WET! Kind of a pain in the butt. (And, they get stinky if you don't rinse them well!). I don't have a short wading jacket yet. I used to have an inexpensive Hodgeman that I gave away, but it would buckle up to a short length which was handier than I thought. I have another jacket that is regular length and I don't like it because of deep wading. I may have to find another for Xmas shopping this year.

#16 ·
This may be getting slightly off topic, but..
I personally don't like the jackets with all the puffy pockets out front. I've had many of these, but using a spey rod I find these pockets interfering at times. Am looking for something with no pockets in the front, something that fits tight on the front side and am leaning toward some conventional quality rain jacket. If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate their input. I carry my stuff in a sling pack that has a waistband, so don't need the storage space pockets provide.

#20 ·
This may be getting slightly off topic, but..
I personally don't like the jackets with all the puffy pockets out front. I've had many of these, but using a spey rod I find these pockets interfering at times. Am looking for something with no pockets in the front, something that fits tight on the front side and am leaning toward some conventional quality rain jacket. If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate their input. I carry my stuff in a sling pack that has a waistband, so don't need the storage space pockets provide.
Patagonia River Salt jacket. It had front pockets but they are inside and not bellow pockets. Very flat in front if you don't fill the pockets.

#17 ·
how many days are you going to be fishing in the winter/spring? if it is more than a few, i would recommend bucking up and buying a good quality gore-tex rain jacket. you can get by on less, but comfort equals more time fishing... which equals more fish hooked.

i know they're expensive, but they last a long time. my simms guide jacket is over 4 years old and is in perfect shape. i have an even older lightweight simms gore-tex that has lasted forever. i have quality arcteryx ski pants and jacket that i bought back in 2002 (from olympic mountaineering... where waters west is now) that are just as good now after hundreds of days of wear, including working in them.

good quality gear is expensive, but it lasts far longer and costs less in the long run imo.

chris

#18 ·
good quality gear is expensive, but it lasts far longer and costs less in the long run imo.

chris
I tend to agree with this philosophy.

The Marmot jacket I mentioned in my prior post I've had for 15 years (got it on discount at Sierra Trading Post) and although I've had to renew the DWR treatment a few times, it's still nearly as good as new. I just got tired of having the bottom dragging in the saltwater hence the new shorter jacket.

#21 ·
Its easy for fly fishing to be a rich mans sport. I've been fishing in a 50 rain jacket for quite some time. I can honestly say I haven't lost a fish, gotten wet or felt unequipped without a wading jacket. There is an expensive version of everything. Being functional and packable for trips Is all I want.

#22 ·
I told me wife I would like a wading Jacket. She bought me one. It's a Gore Tex. Got it on sale at Cabela's. I got it three years ago and it's still hanging in my closet. I don't go out in the rain and fish anymore. Hell, I might melt.

I think the reason for it was I just would like to have one.

It was under 200 smackers.

#25 ·
John,
Yes, that is the kind of jacket I'm talking about. Doing more research and see the Redington and the Hardy and the Guideline jackets are similar.
Thx.
Dan, I love the River Salt. I don't have a lot of experience with the Redington or Hardy, but I have heard bad things about the Guideline. Orangeradish had a Guideline and it leaked out of the box. Then the warrenty issues that insued were a nightmare.

#26 ·
Troutpounder,

Either you're exaggerating, or your priorities don't add up as a fisherman IMO. I think rainwear is important, but it's way the fukk down the list in importance and best investments in fishing the way I see it. I don't have to go fishing in the rain, but rainwear, even mediocre rainwear, allows me to so. Far more important and best investments I ever made when it comes to fishing were a rod and reel, both cheap, a decent tapered fly line, and some flies. Even waders are more important and a better fishing investment in terms of opening up more fishing opportunity. Rain gear is on the list, but it's way down the list compared to other things that are actually essential for fishing. Yeah, I'm being an ass, but you're way over-stating the value of your Simms wading jacket.

Sg

#40 ·
Troutpounder,

Either you're exaggerating, or your priorities don't add up as a fisherman IMO. I think rainwear is important, but it's way the fukk down the list in importance and best investments in fishing the way I see it. I don't have to go fishing in the rain, but rainwear, even mediocre rainwear, allows me to so. Far more important and best investments I ever made when it comes to fishing were a rod and reel, both cheap, a decent tapered fly line, and some flies. Even waders are more important and a better fishing investment in terms of opening up more fishing opportunity. Rain gear is on the list, but it's way down the list compared to other things that are actually essential for fishing. Yeah, I'm being an ass, but you're way over-stating the value of your Simms wading jacket.

Sg
I am going to disagree with you. Unless you are only a fair weather fisherman rain gear is tops. There is nothing worse than being cold and wet. We live in Washington and I don't know if you have noticed this, but it rains here quite a bit. If you want to do any fall, winter, or early spring fishing rain gear has to be a top priority.

#27 ·
Yeah, the Patagucci seems like a nice piece of work but for much less than half the price of that particular jacket (MSRP of $349) one might consider the L.L. Bean wading jacket.

Check it out here: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3644...-paclite-stowaway-wading-jacket-with-gore-tex.

Granted it has the front bellows pockets that someone said they don't like but it's constructed of Goretex Paclite which AFAIK has proven to be a reliable material and it's pretty lightweight compared to others.

I also like Freestone's recommendation of the Precip jacket. Although it's a bit longer than most "wading jackets" I've always had good luck with Marmot products and the price is right (especially if you purchase it from STP!).

#29 ·
For years I used a regular rain coat. It fit over my vest when ever I wore one. Cheapest 20 bucks I spent to keep dry. Yes I would sweat in it but something like a sweat shirt would soak that up and I'd be dry.

If it hadn't of been stolen, I'd still be wearing it.

#30 ·
I too for years fished in a cheap rain jacket that worked fine. I usually didn't fish in the rain until I started steelheadeing, then found the need for a more lightweight rain jacket. Being the cheap SOB I am, I waited until the perfect gortex one (Cloudveil) came up on a discount site and got it. And what I mean by perfect is it was cheap, right around $100. I have used it for 5 years now and love it.

#31 ·
I own a longer cabela's $100 rain jacket and a G3. Both work fine. I've had a couple Simms jackets and the only reason I got rid of them was I grew out of them. Too many beers not enough hiking. I'd say as long as a jacket is comfortable and keeps you fishing when it's raining that's all you need. There is nothing worse than having a jacket fail 3 miles into an 8 mile float on a rainy day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.