Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trout box must's

3K views 30 replies 30 participants last post by  Keith Hixson 
#1 ·
What are some staple fly patterns in your fly box for trout? Patterns that no matter what lake you go to, no matter what time of year it is,are always there in your box. Lets see em'.

#5 ·
For me, I have to have my size 12 chironomid tied on a scud hook with a black tungsten bead, black body, antron gills and red ribbing covered with scud backing. After that, the same pattern only with gun metal gray body. I also must have my micro leeches tied on the same scud hook with the same black bead, with a red squirrel strip tail and a red body. After that more of the same micro leeches in other colors like white, red/black, maroon... then the same patterns tied on size 12 60 degree jig hooks. Next come the balance leeches tied in the same colors as above. I will also need some size 8 60 degree jig hook leeches tied in various colors as my go to cast and strip patterns.

#7 ·
+100 on the leeches and mids. funny i always seem to tie up a new color mid in spring, catch a few and then think its the best pattern ever only to find it tucked back in the corner of my box a year later .
oh well something to keep my interest up.

#21 ·
To change this up a little bit - a black sharpie pen. These have saved me, I don't know how many times. I have a fly that is close but not right. Darker is almost always better and with the pen I can touch up my inventory to match. It has proved to be a valuable use of a small space over a lot of years.

#22 ·
Anyone who knows me knows that I never hit stillwater without my self-tied, design-tweaked, Carey Special. That fly has been my most productive. Then again, any fly you know how to fish is going to be successful for you.

Reactions: Ron McNeal
#25 ·
No love for the Doc Spratley ?
I tie them , but rarely ever use them , as I have other patterns I have more confidence in .
You will always find some pheasant tail nymphs in my boxes for the mayfly hatches . Ditto for an ostrich herl mayfly nymph I tie .
I also fish bloodworms quite a bit .
But my most productive pattern , by far , is a small , red , angora goat leech .
And I`d never want to be without a few of Brian Chans Stillwater Caddis Pupa , lots of different colored chironomids , some Careys , a few Knouff Lake Specials , some damsel and dragon nymphs , and the good old Tom Thumb for fishing on top .
Of course .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.