Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

My basecamp is about complete.

5K views 54 replies 8 participants last post by  splett 
#1 ·
Had a mishap a few months ago where my old tried and true tent was destroyed by a dog. Had a chance to pickup a Cabelas guide tent super cheap (needed repairs) and started the ball rolling. It was funny how everything fell into place. In a short time frame (about 3 months) everything I had "pondered" getting dropped into my lap for virtually free. As of right now, I think I have about $300 invested in everything for my tent (I'm not including my outdoor cooking stuff lol). But part of that $300 also included repairs that needed to be done to my tent.

Finally got to use it in a "semi" real world experience. Wasn't out in the great outdoors, but was setup in Ellensburg. Had heavy winds and rain. Tent didn't budge. But tent was designed for snow load, so hope it would hold up. LOL.

Here's what I have to date.
6 man Cabelas Guide tent
2 new edition army cots (500# capacity and very sturdy)
2 alps foam/inflatable mats
2 bivy sacks (army issue)
travelchair brand rollup table
lil buddy indoor safe heater with small tank
then some misc odds and ends of course

Here's my full camp
Tarpaulin Tent Camping Plant Shade

My Koffler chuck box, 3X Explorer stove, and tent.

Tarpaulin Tent Fixture Shade Camping

Close up of the 6 man tent. I know they are meant to be used all snuggled up. But IMHO, I'd say room for 4 comfortably, and I'll only use it for 2 maybe 3 max. Plus you can stand up in it (well if you're under 6'3" lol.

Brown Comfort Textile Purple Interior design

Just to give an idea how roomy it is inside. The two lines you see are the centerline of the tent. I have my cot off to one side. Still had room by window (also a secondary door) and the edge barely went over centerline. I have one of my chairs in here just because I was using this solo that weekend. And you can't see it, but the table I was talking about is to the right of the chair. That's my big bugout bag in the middle. LOVE that bag. It's an SF issued bag (holds their kit and all over misc). Holds alot, can be carried either with handle or with backpack straps. And can carry all my misc needs for tent (plus my clothes and sundries to boot).

And yes, I still have my campers and will use them too. Just nice somedays to go to camp and be about 600# lighter in the truck (especially on those crappy launches).

See less See more
#3 ·
Jerry, do you think three cots would fit in there? Reason I'm asking is, I will be doing a float this summer and am looking at getting that tent. Will have three guys in it.

#5 ·
Does anyone know if these are as bomb proof as advertised? I ask because I fish some high sagebrush lakes with high winds that have been known to flip over popups, so I leave that home. Also have seen the wind level a standard dome tent. Anyone used one in similar conditions? Sorry for the semi-hijack.

#8 ·
I own the very same tent.Yes they are bomb proof. I have slept on the coast in howling wind and rain for a week hunting with out a problem.The only tent I will take to the Hoh for winter runs.Worth every penny .Especially i if you can find the old school vestibule.Pain in the ass to set up buy ones self though and would recommend the fiber glass poles as I have heard of the metal breaking during one man setup.

#10 ·
I own the very same tent.Yes they are bomb proof. I have slept on the coast in howling wind and rain for a week hunting with out a problem.The only tent I will take to the Hoh for winter runs.Worth every penny .Especially i if you can find the old school vestibule.Pain in the ass to set up buy ones self though and would recommend the fiber glass poles as I have heard of the metal breaking during one man setup.
Yeah, mines missing the vestibule too. And Cabela's won't sell the new integrated one. Have to buy the whole tent. I know a guy who did the repair on my tent who may be able to make me one. We'll see how that goes and I'll get back to you on it.

#12 ·
Yeah, mines missing the vestibule too. And Cabela's won't sell the new integrated one. Have to buy the whole tent. I know a guy who did the repair on my tent who may be able to make me one. We'll see how that goes and I'll get back to you on it.
Here is a pic I stole off the interweb of the old school vestibule.I am going to set mine up in the next few days to clean it after fishing in last week ends rain.I can take some better pics if you want.I love the vestibule durring the winter to get dry before getting in the tent.

edit; Here is a pic of base camp in action.We do things similar but I opted for a drawer system in my truck in lew of the chuck box.It saves room for the German Shepard.I appreciate the Coleman canopy more than I thought I would.I can not imagine taking camp down in the rain with out it.

Attachments

#14 ·
Here is a pic I stole off the interweb of the old school vestibule.I am going to set mine up in the next few days to clean it after fishing in last week ends rain.I can take some better pics if you want.I love the vestibule durring the winter to get dry before getting in the tent.

edit; Here is a pic of base camp in action.We do things similar but I opted for a drawer system in my truck in lew of the chuck box.It saves room for the German Shepard.I appreciate the Coleman canopy more than I thought I would.I can not imagine taking camp down in the rain with out it.
Oh, wait. Saw the edit. So is that your tent with vestibule? Hmmmmmm.

#16 ·
Yeah, if you can that would be great. You can't buy it anymore, you're correct (I used my inside source at Cabela's too to see if they could pull any strings). I would love to have one like is on the first pic you put up. I know I can make one. They new ones are made with the vestibule built in, so you can't expand it. I'm assuming they didn't sell many, so opted not to make them removable anymore. I'd love to find one to zip in. But will definitely have one made.

#17 ·
I am going to set it up Sunday to clean of the rain splatter from last week end.I will set up the vesty and give ya some pics and numbers.They are great tents.I have used that tent at many a party at pacific beach and wake up to being the only tent standing in the morning.There is one on Craigsliist right now for 175. a 6 man.

#21 ·
Sorry did not set up and clean yesterday,finished sun porch though,yay.

Today I hear a greywolf a calling me.

I saw your add on craigslist for a vestibule good luck with it, these pics might View attachment 44071 help. View attachment 44070
I know there's a better chance of winning the lotto. But you can't win if you never buy a ticket. Lol.

I'd seriously buy a whole tent just to get vestibule. So I'm constantly on the lookout.

#23 ·
Ah, yeah. I stopped trying across the country. Most were leary about shipping anything. So pretty much gave up on that option. Of course I watch Ebay. But CL has been a big pain in the arse getting stuff shipped.

#25 ·
Had a mishap a few months ago where my old tried and true tent was destroyed by a dog. Had a chance to pickup a Cabelas guide tent super cheap (needed repairs) and started the ball rolling. It was funny how everything fell into place. In a short time frame (about 3 months) everything I had "pondered" getting dropped into my lap for virtually free. As of right now, I think I have about $300 invested in everything for my tent (I'm not including my outdoor cooking stuff lol). But part of that $300 also included repairs that needed to be done to my tent.

Finally got to use it in a "semi" real world experience. Wasn't out in the great outdoors, but was setup in Ellensburg. Had heavy winds and rain. Tent didn't budge. But tent was designed for snow load, so hope it would hold up. LOL.

Here's what I have to date.
6 man Cabelas Guide tent
2 new edition army cots (500# capacity and very sturdy)
2 alps foam/inflatable mats
2 bivy sacks (army issue)
travelchair brand rollup table
lil buddy indoor safe heater with small tank
then some misc odds and ends of course

Here's my full camp
View attachment 42249

My Koffler chuck box, 3X Explorer stove, and tent.

View attachment 42248

Close up of the 6 man tent. I know they are meant to be used all snuggled up. But IMHO, I'd say room for 4 comfortably, and I'll only use it for 2 maybe 3 max. Plus you can stand up in it (well if you're under 6'3" lol.

View attachment 42250

Just to give an idea how roomy it is inside. The two lines you see are the centerline of the tent. I have my cot off to one side. Still had room by window (also a secondary door) and the edge barely went over centerline. I have one of my chairs in here just because I was using this solo that weekend. And you can't see it, but the table I was talking about is to the right of the chair. That's my big bugout bag in the middle. LOVE that bag. It's an SF issued bag (holds their kit and all over misc). Holds alot, can be carried either with handle or with backpack straps. And can carry all my misc needs for tent (plus my clothes and sundries to boot).

And yes, I still have my campers and will use them too. Just nice somedays to go to camp and be about 600# lighter in the truck (especially on those crappy launches).
Thats a great looking setup. Here is my one man version (V. 3.0)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
based on a lincoln-log-esque teardrop. No setup: tow and go. I hope. Almost done.

#28 ·
Looking good on the trailer. My problem is I always have a boat hooked up. But have an Alaskan camper I'm gutting and retrofitting. Gonna be my steelhead shack for certain trips (well already has been).

#30 ·
It's funny you mention the all in one scenario. Actually had plans for a trailer. But my step brother (a fabricator) moved to Arizona with a different company. He made an awesome two story boat trailer. They had top bunk with two jet skis and lower bunk ski boat. Launch boat first, then use hydraulics to drop jet skis, then launch them. Made me think. Wanted him to make similar. But drift boat would be on top bunk and Alaskan camper on lower bunk. Get to camp and slide out camper. Hit the hydraulics on camper to raise it. Then hit hydraulic on trailer and boat is ready to go. No unhitching. Plus could leave extra gear in bed of pickup. Plus nice not having that extra weight in bed of truck at launches. Maybe someday. But i do a few week long camps. Not a biggie setting up tent for that. Now overnighters is a bit much for the guide tent. Where it's super quick to load camper and go.

#31 ·
So many good ideas! I think this little wooden teardrop will have a rack on top so I can transport my kayak.
My goal is to be set up to eat, drink or fish within five minutes of hitting the base camp spot. Solar power trickle charger,
a big 12v aux battery and multiple 12v sockets are planned.

#32 ·
I saw the battery well up front.Expidition portal has a section just on 12 volts.People share their personal builds and actually spend a fair amount of energy just sharing it.I added a second bat to the f 150 soley from info off that site.Probably cost less than 100.00,not including battery.

#37 ·
I had a old utility trailer that I got to haul my motorbike to the East coast and back. Got married, sold the bike. The new wife and I would go camping all the time. Hell, we camped over at Bumping Lake for our honeymoon. The trailer sat for a year before I thought of using it for camping.

I had some cabinets from a kitchen remodel. Used the set of pullouts and a lower door unit with a sink. These I faced back. Put a four foot high plywood wall around them. Couple of piano hinges to open up the counter and lid. Box on the front held firewood, A 110 ice chest, two 5 gl. Jugs and camp chairs.

Called it " Autochuck" Full kitchen on wheels. Sorry, no pics. Was before the net.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.