Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What flies do you swing for trout?

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Beachmen 
#1 ·
I have a ton of 24 hour duty days this month. I am tying flies for my swinging box and I would like to gather some ideas from you all. Here is what I have so far.. Pleas post pics of your, if you don't mind me trying to mimic them. Thanks everyone!!!

Rectangle Gas Font Metal Electronic component

Next 24 hour duty day I am thinking of small calf tails...

See less See more
#3 ·
Take a look at some of the sculpins Thomas Mitchell tied that Mcnasty has posted. That recent trophy wife pattern looks good. Check out the belly dancer pattern. I prefer to tie and swing/strip cone or bead headed bunny and marabou leeches with stinger hooks.

#10 ·
Insect Arthropod Pest Parasite silverfish

HOW IS THIS FOR A SOFT HACKLE? 6/0 black thread, black rabbit fur, shiny rib, some sort of hackle..

I typically tie smaller flies when fishing for trout. Mainly because when I am at home I fish the smaller river and avoid the larger ones. The larger ones are usually to far or I'm just to lazy. Also, the largest trout I have eve caught was on a size 18 hook. This is my 23in brown!!!
Water Salmon-like fish Oncorhynchus Fish Coastal cutthroat trout

#14 ·
Here is the recipe.
Tail/wing/chin. All ringneck pheasant rump
Body. Ice Dub brushed out. NO wire rib though on my steelhead ones I do
Also about 8-15 raps of lead. Up to you on size. I go .025
Hook. Daiichi 1750. Or any 4x long streamer hook.

For salmon/steelhead I go with an alec Jackson

#15 ·
Hit this link for some soft hackles I'm talking about, I tied those and you can nymph fish those and end them with a swing. Very effective flies, Trout love them! :) Partridge feathers are good and so are Starling feathers. For a while I was on a soft hackle only trip and I tied nearly every nymph I fished with soft hackles. :D

http://goodflies.weebly.com/soft-hackle-flies.html

#21 ·
Here is a quarter of a completed box. my wet flies, pixie minnows, and a peeping caddis. How long does it take most to fill a box? I think it is taking me longer than most.. But I feel that I am coming along pretty well in my fly tying career.

View attachment 44773
Wow James. That's an organized box. OCD much? I separate my Skittles by color, line them in rows and make sure all the S's are facing up (and in the right direction) before I eat them. My wife gives me a hard time constantly!

I humbly bow down to a master of obsessive/compulsive practices! ;)

#25 ·
If your up for trout. Go throw them now in olive pheasant with olive Brown ice dub. In size 6-4. They crush. Swing them and strip Them fast. It my number one trout streamer. Personally I have about 30 some variations of it. Also is a killer smallmouth fly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.