Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mildred lakes?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JasonG 
#1 ·
I'm heading over to the Olympics this weekend with my wife to hike up to Mildred Lakes. I'm bringing my 5 and 2 wt to try out a little still water out there. Has anyone been up there ? Any suggestions or ideas would be awesome. Thanks Jason

#5 ·
I haven't been there in over 10 years, but it's a nice hike, if a bit strenuous. My recollection is that the first lake has lots of small rainbows. The upper lake has rainbows, with a larger average size, but there isn't much shore fly casting, so if you have a backpack raft or float tube, you're in business. The middle lake doesn't have natural reproduction and is stocked with cutthroat on a 4-year cycle. That lake also has scuds. It's better to fish during the 3rd and 4th years for larger cutthroat.

Sg

#6 ·
The hike is strenuous in places. Are you backpacking? Not sure I'd do a day hike up to them. My buddy logged one section at 1000 vertical feet in about half a mile, so expect slow going on the hike. We had no luck there which I've heard is unusual. I didn't have a thermometer, but the lake was VERY warm so that likely has something to do with it. There's really not a ton of room for fly casting, but you can make it work in places.

Good luck. There were tons of berries on the trail when we went through (mainly blue berries).

Edit: I hope your wife is tough. My wife and I hike, backpack, and mountain bike quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure she would hate that hike.

#7 ·
The hike is strenuous in places. Are you backpacking? Not sure I'd do a day hike up to them. My buddy logged one section at 1000 vertical feet in about half a mile, so expect slow going on the hike. We had no luck there which I've heard is unusual. I didn't have a thermometer, but the lake was VERY warm so that likely has something to do with it. There's really not a ton of room for fly casting, but you can make it work in places.

Good luck. There were tons of berries on the trail when we went through (mainly blue berries).

Edit: I hope your wife is tough. My wife and I hike, backpack, and mountain bike quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure she would hate that hike.
We will be back packing in. Sounds like a tough one!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.