Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Classifieds - Ads cleanup (looking for your feedback)

WFF 
2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Chris Scoones 
#1 · (Edited)
I've just added the functionality to cleanup after ads. I'm in process of testing this but the plan is to lock/close the ads after a period of time (2 weeks since last followup post?) and then soft-delete then after a period of time (1 month since the last followup post?).

Asking for your feedback. (1) How long until the ads are locked, and (2) how long until they are soft-deleted?

Soft-deleted, by the way, removes the ads from view but allows myself & the mods to view them if necessary. So just in case an issue pops up we can review someone's past history.

You will retain the ability to close / soft-delete the ad yourself, if you wish to before the automated process does it for you.

Thanks,
Chris

#7 ·
Chris, what if member closed/locked ads get sent immediately to a classifieds sub-forum called Closed/Locked/Inactive?

What if current ads hit the two week inactive clock and get auto moved into the afore mentioned Closed/Locked/Inactive?

This allows the current proactive functionality by the originator, passive functionality for inactive ads and preserves the historical trail for those farming that area for pricing ideas?

#8 ·
I agree with JohnB- I have done searches for gear for info on pricing, and also just for shopping and have come across ads from a long time ago that I contacted the seller about and have purchased from.
Even I've been contacted about forgotten gear and have sold it. Unless it's taking up a lot of space, I don't see how it would be worth your time having to weed through everything.

#17 ·
I agree with JohnB- I have done searches for gear for info on pricing, and also just for shopping and have come across ads from a long time ago that I contacted the seller about and have purchased from.
Even I've been contacted about forgotten gear and have sold it. Unless it's taking up a lot of space, I don't see how it would be worth your time having to weed through everything.
Yeah, this.

#10 · (Edited)
Lock after a couple of weeks of no-activity, call it good at that? No soft-delete?

It would help to reduce ads from 2002 being popped to the top by someone who found their way to that ad via search but didn't realize how dated it was, yet leave it up for viewing for those of you wishing to keep them up as reference.

#12 ·
Lock good. I'd vote against the delete just for the reasons stated, pricing info.

It's legit if someone says "Nah, I'd like things to stay tidy. We're deleting old ads." I can see the reasoning in that.

But if someone asks my opinion, I'd say lock after a few weeks or a month, no delete.

#13 ·
Lock seems better with no soft delete. Allows us to peruse the old items and then PM the owner to see if still available. I would suggest 30 days since last post. Just curious, what does this do to improve things on your end?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.