Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fantasy Fly Fishing Team / Contest

28K views 294 replies 80 participants last post by  mike doughty 
#1 ·
It seems most of the people I know, do or have participated in some sort of these fantasy sports team things... Since I fish, and
don't really follow sports closely, I've decided to make up my own version of the game. So jump in if you want to participate.

Fantasy Fly Fishing Team

How to play
-Pick any 5 WFF members for your team.

-Any photos your team members post in their FFFT gallery of fish caught between 05/01/08 until 07/31/08 will be counted for points based on the scale below.

-Players may not have the exact team, at least one member must be different.

-The player with the most points at the end will win a prize. (Some flies and a fly fishing dvd)

-Your team must be chosen by 05/05/08 (No edits allowed on your team pick post after that date)

-You can pick yourself to be on your team, but will only receive half of designated points for your fish.

Rules

-If there are multiple photos of the same fish, only one can be counted for points

-The fish must be caught in between the designated time periods. ( no photos scans from the early 90's)

* Photos with just the fish solo, Example: in your hand, in the water or across the legs in a float tube will have to count for half points.

-The fish must be caught on Fly fishing gear.

-All fish must be mature (No Smolt photos for points)

-Fish must be alive and released unharmed. (Gilled or dead fish do not count.)

-In the event of a tie at the end of the game, the next player to have any of their members score points for them wins.

- Players must keep track of your own teams points. Points will be verified at the end of the game.

Points Scale (Arguing about the point scale because you prefer a certain species of fish is useless.)

1 point
Pike minnow, Suckers, Chub, Bluegill, Crappie, Perch, Shad, Whitefish, Sculpin, Shiners

2 points
Rainbow, Cutt, Brookie, Bass, Grayling, Arctic Char

3 points
Browns, Golden trout, Dollie/Bull, SRC, Pike, Resident Silvers. Peacock Bass, Snook, Catfish, Kokanee, Barracuda, Rockfish,

4 points
Salmon, Steelhead, Carp, Walleye, Sheefish, Bonefish, Redfish, Jack/trevally, Yellowtail/Amberjack, Ling,

5 points
Any of the ABOVE fish over 5lbs. Add 5 Points to the base score.( example: 10lb Kokanee 3+5=10pts)

10 points
Tuna, Roosters, Billfish, Wahoo, Tarpoon, Permit, Barramundi, GT"S, Shark, Taimen, Mahseer, Muskie,

* Unlisted Species will count for 1point until decided where to place on the point scale...

Any edits in the rules will be marked with a red *

See less See more
#105 ·
Hmmm, I would put myself in but I've barely fished in the last 3 years. Now if you extended the contest a month I'll be back from Belize on August 12th (hopefully with some bone/tarpon/cuda, and maaaybe permit pics - insert praying smilie here).

1) SteelieMike - Just because he fishes so damn much (apparently doesn't have a job)
2) Matney - In spite of his cowgirl cross-dressing tendencies, he catches a lot of nice fish in different places.
3) Zen - For a smart-ass punk kid he got some serious fish (and chick) mojo.
4) Anil - Can't say anything sacastic, I just hate the guy cuz he's a salt wizard and I'm jealous.
5) Ibn - Same with Anil.

#111 ·
Team Jergens!

After a week long spring training trip to the OP i think were ready for the big league. Tough to weed out some of the players (buccola, stevesie, justin, aaron) we got the team!

KEM- Rookie of the year in 07 definitely not going to have a sophomore slump
LBC- Taught how to fly fish by crump, how can you beat that, and hes going to drill a chinook in the mainstem columbia.
KevenSamuelson-Has anyone caught this many yak steelhead in one winter?
Shawnage- If we get behind he'll definitely keep team morale up, and hes hooked the biggest brown i've ever seen.
Myself- I'll be in montana 2 of the 3 months, so as long as the internets don't break over there we're solid.

Oh yeah, team jerseys will be out for opening day boys!

#122 ·
Can I pick myself five times? I'm going to do a lot of musky fishing in may and june :)

plus, with chubs being worth 1 point a piece... Well, just ask Doughty how many chubs I can catch in a day!

This is going to be tough to pick a team

I just feel sorry for whoever does all of the tabulation.

#128 ·
Zen
Ringlee
Matney
WJordan

Still working on the final cut...

A for putting your mug in every shot with the fish or lose 1/2 pts, what about putting a symbol or mascot of somekind that works as a unique identifier? Like if you have a tatoo on the back of your hand or your reel has your name engraved?

#186 ·
Zen
Ringlee
Matney
WJordan
IBN
My final cut. :thumb:

I got a couple stocker trout this morning, but just couldn't bring myself to snap pics of the 12inchers. I'm not going to be throwing up many pics until after June 1. Then hopefully the rivers aren't so blown with snow melt that I can find some summer steel and maybe a king salmon on the Skykomish. Fellas, if I'm on your team, it's not too late to replace me with one of the young guns who'll be in alaska or something.... I know you have big money riding on this an all :clown:

#129 ·
I’m flattered to be included on any of the teams mentioned so far. Unfortunately I cannot stand idly by and watch my name tarnished by this ridiculous and vulgar competition. We as fly fishermen must hold ourselves to a higher standard. This should be an endeavor for gentlemen and…Just kidding.
My wife and I are expecting our first child in a couple months. I am not naïve enough to think that I’ll be fishing as much as I normally do. Feel free to remove, or bench me as you see fit.
Anil

#130 ·
I'm flattered to be included on any of the teams mentioned so far. Unfortunately I cannot stand idly by and watch my name tarnished by this ridiculous and vulgar competition. We as fly fishermen must hold ourselves to a higher standard. This should be an endeavor for gentlemen and…Just kidding.
My wife and I are expecting our first child in a couple months. I am not naïve enough to think that I'll be fishing as much as I normally do. Feel free to remove, or bench me as you see fit.
Anil
you should've kept that little bastard in your pants then!

#133 ·
Zen, my fly fishing arch nemisis, I dont' want you on my team either - in a BAD WAY..... :mad:

But then, I wouldn't mind actually winning this thing either... So nothing personal - but tough luck. Now quit crying before your mom reads this and get's mad at me again (dont' ask...).

#139 ·
Ok, if anybody is going to insult someone else using that term....get it right, it is "feather ***." My dad calls me that all the time just because his ass is too crippled to fly fish. We need to all pitch in some money and rent out a little apartment downtown where we can start some fights, instead of back and forth name calling on the internet.

OPENING NIGHT! BOUVE -vs- CHADK

#144 ·
As a former 509'er I can tell you that the trout are bigger better and less people than the 406, and the steelhead thing. Got to keep with the roots...and for that matter Go Canada eh! ptyd

Sorry bill....just didn't want you showing up to disneyland only to find out that mickey mouse is a little punk! :clown:

#145 ·
Yeah, but I like it out there! Don't know how I would do with the winters though.

I've been going out there for 15 years now, so I'm pretty familiar with the areas and have relatives in Helena. I could easily see myself out there in the future. :)

I will need a "Dry Fly or Die" hat though when I come out! You can keep the shirts though...

#148 ·
509 is great to pass through on my way out to 406! I'll come out and hunt those big browns with you guys out in MT anytime! Hell ya! :thumb:

#150 ·
Sure why not?! It's sucked out here for April for the most part... Last weekend was nice, but I don't like to fish the lake opener!

3" of snow, no big deal! I'm not Oldman Jim! Sorry Jimbo, I just had too... and I can tie those big flies anyways... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.