Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Zip up waders, whats the verdict?

10K views 57 replies 37 participants last post by  Steve Call 
#1 ·
I have been milking my old Hodgeman waders for going on 5 years now, patched em a few
times, dealt with the pinhole leaks and the mysterious wet spots after I take them off. Well I have finally talked the wife into letting me get a nice set of waders. I am not particularly hard on waders, but I do fish a ton (3 times per week in the summer, and at least once per week in the winter). I am looking at a set of Dan Bailey EZ zip waders, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I have read good reviews on some sites, but I take the advice of the guys on this site over any online review. I also saw that Simms has a set of zip ups, but they are a bit more spendy compared to the Bailey's.

Any thoughts positive or negative about the Bailey's? Any other brands that I should look at instead? I havn't heard many negative things about Bailey's, so I am leaning in that direction.

Thanks Guys :beer1::beer2:

#2 ·
Definitely try on the Baileys along with the Simms (I'd add Orvis to the mix for a 3rd). If you're thin side of average the Simms will be a much better fit; Baileys tend to be 'roomy' in the legs. IMO, 80% of the time the fit will easily decide for you.

Someone else will have to report on the zip-ups. For me, even if priced the same I'd stay away from them. Mine are easy to pull down midway and get over the brim. Plus I'd hate to lose the center positioning of my storage, hand-warmer pocket, etc. For what it's worth I went with the G3's and am more than happy with them. I gripe about the cost as much as the next guy but really it's all there for the $ spent relative to others. Whatever you do, highly recommend ones with no butt-crack seam (Simms and DB both did the re-routed seam).

Probably worth knowing, I'm on the skinny side. Bigger boys may take a different view of the zip-ups. Good luck + enjoy!

#3 ·
I've used nothing but DB's for years; never a problem with any of the waders (hip, waist high and chest highs). That said, one other option to look at are the DB's waist highs. The new design was dreamed up by someone who actually must fish. Velcro straps to cinch the waist, two deep covered pockets in front, comfortable as all heck to ware-walk around in, etc., and etc.

As to 'what's the verdict?' Can't see the point of having a zipper front .... just another place to leak.

fae

#4 ·
How about a zipper for a place to take a leak? Most companies are targeting the aging fly fishermen with this innovation, but I've tried a few pair on and they are much easier to get into and out of. When the overpriced zippers come down in cost I think they will be more mainstream. Those that can't hold their morning coffee so well anymore might be the main interest group. There aren't any of those folks here though, are there?

#7 ·
I talked to a guy here in Montana who was wearing a pair of Hodgmans zip waders. He really liked them. If it gets to hot out, you can always zip them down to cool off.

And I don't drink coffee anymore. I haven't had a cup of coffee in about 16 years.

Jim

#8 ·
Hey Jim, my buddy Fearless Fishbait bought the Hodgeman's zip front recently (within the last year) and liked them for the convenience. That is, until the zipper blew out on him when we were floating the Satsop in early Oct. He hadn't really worn them that much. I haven't heard what the final outcome was, but he was sending them back on the warranty. I suggested he ditch 'em and get a better brand.

#9 ·
I've had the opportunity to try two pairs of zippered waders from two manufacturers. Both have performed without leaks over the last year-and-a-half. Both pairs use waterproof zippers made by the German firm Riri which also manufactures zippers for divers' dry suits; diving, I suspect, would put such zippers to a much more severe test than wading.

They do require a bit more attention than conventional waders, mostly common sense precautions like not folding the zipper sharply. They are easier to get in and out of and you don't have to take off your vest, coat, etc. in a downpour in order to take a leak.

#11 ·
Hell no to zippers.

Is it really all that convenient anyway? I piss a couple times a day while fishing and it takes about 3 minutes total.

#16 ·
Just wait for a all day rain and you will be glad you have a zipper and can keep your jacket on while doing the deed.

I have the simms and love them, going on my second year with no leaks. I can say I only use them in the winter time as they are alittle thicker material than my G3 waders.

Just my 2 cents.

G
#12 ·
I know a couple guys with the baileys zipper model and they leaked eventually...allot of guys love the baileys regular model..so as the above said, not worth it IMHO to add one extra area that can leak...

Personally I agree with JB...snap...yank...waggle...your done...how difficult is that??? I would have said "hard" but then I know what would have happened...:rofl:

#15 ·
I am yet to see this but it definately sounds rediculous.

#21 ·
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Hey, that reminds me of a good one. Once I came around the bend and surprised a truck-drivin-but-shooda-been-inna-lezbaroo gal I know discreetly hangin her backside over the transom of her boat, verily pollutin the tidal flux (excusable though it was, as it was high tide, and the inevitable runnout would disperse the effluent). Main thing was, i got my laughs in for the morning, and was able to take advantage of her "being dead in the water" and get upstream of her and hit some virgin water. :rofl:

#19 ·
A piss break is a good time to rest the water chk your knots maybe change flys. I can recall a time at pyramid lake chuck & duck 250gr of shooting head. Tucked my rod into my ladder, walked to shore took a piss, waded back out & had a 7lb Lahontan cutt on my fly! The one fish all day..

#20 ·
The 8 seconds it takes to shed a rain shell is no issue...at least to me. And given the brimmed hat and remaining layers that stay on I have yet to miss the rain shell for the 14 seconds it takes to drain it. That aside, there was another objection to the zip-waders, a significant one, mentioned in post #2:
I'd hate to lose the center positioning of my storage, hand-warmer pocket, etc.

#24 ·
The 8 seconds it takes to shed a rain shell is no issue...at least to me. And given the brimmed hat and remaining layers that stay on I have yet to miss the rain shell for the 14 seconds it takes to drain it. That aside, there was another objection to the zip-waders, a significant one, mentioned in post #2:
Wow, you're the man. I don't think I could even find it in 30 seconds and then it would take two or three times that long to drain it. I must be getting old. Actually I know I am.

#23 ·
I got a pair of the Vision zips a few years ago to try out. I only use them in the winter. When it's pouring rain it is very, very handy. I think a quality zipper would be the last place to leak. Mine never has, but the waders have developed some seam leaks--after much use. I personally don't like the bulkiness of the zipper at my chest when summer fishing. I use the non-zips when weather is good.
I'm intrigued with the new Reddington sonic weld waders and may try them next.

#25 ·
#26 ·
I have the Redington Sonic-Pro zip waders and I like them a lot. In addition to being easy to get in and out of, you can also zip them down to cool off when you have the chest waders on but are on a long walk or out of the water. And yes - should you need to relieve yourself it is easy to do. For what it is worth, some guys are going to pee where we probably shouldn't - that is true regardless of whether waders have a zipper or not.

For the price I think they are an excellent choice and in my limited experience Redington has excellent customer service - another bonus.

So far I've had no leaking or other issues with the zipper. That wader model also has nice hand warmer-pockets.... My only complaint is that the sizing is not quite right for me - i am 6'1 175 with size 12 feet...The large waders have an integrated wading belt that is too big for me (32" waist), but the feet aren't big enough to fit my feet. If I recall, the XLs fit my foot better, but seem geared toward a much huskier wearer. I think I should've gone with a Large tall or similar. Having said all that - they are still probably my favorite chest waders to date. Only my old simms wading pants (rest in pieces) surpass these in my heart.

#27 ·
Simms will install a smaller horizontally mounted relief zipper for around $100 when you order a pair of G3's. It looks almost exactly like what I had in my Viking Dry Suit 20 years ago for hundred of dollars more.

I saw the first one of the G3s come into the shop last week, and I was really impressed. Ask your local dealer.

Keep the zipper clean of debris with a toothbrush, and lubricate with a beeswax stick and you're good for years. Do a little research on whose zippers they are using, some are much better than others. I've been out of the dive business for years, so would call a reputable shop and ask them for a recommendation. 20 years ago, the top end was YKK, but I don't know now.

#28 ·
A friend has had a pair of Hodgman's with the zipper for two years of hard use. He swears he'll never get waders without a zipper again. No leaks at the zipper, but a couple of leaks on leg seams. I was tempted when I got my G3's last year, but I think Simm's wanted an extra $100 + for G4's with the zipper.

Try on several different brands and buy the ones that fit the best. The zipper is a great convenience, but overall fit is more important.

#29 ·
With my Simms convertibles I can easily pee without removing the suspenders (just loosen the Velcro belt and they slip down enough to relieve yourself) and they easily convert to chest highs when I want the extra coverage for wading deep, warmth or dryness. I really think these waders are the Bomb! Rick

#31 ·
I think the only reason I'd want a zipper is for takin' a leak. Otherwise, why pay for it? It would be nice not have to take off a jacket, vest and whatever else. Don't think I'm there yet though...

I've used drysuits for various purposes for several years. The only time I've had a zipper leak was when I didn't have it zipped all the way. THAT was eye-opening..... Given quality construction, there's no reason a waterproof zipper should leak.

#32 ·
Trick for those that don't have or want zippers.

I have the G-3's and they swapped the clips on the suspenders. You can clip one to the other. I just clip them in front of my neck, release the waist belt and I can drop the front down and take a leak. No need to remove my jacket or anything. the back side stays up under my jacket so no water gets in them.

I don't know if this would work for everyone. Guess if your short and wearing waders that come up to your armpits, you would have the suspenders shortened up too much for this.

#38 ·
So I suppose you are still driving a car with a stick-shift, no air conditioning, no power brakes and no power steering.:rolleyes: Not all innovation is problematic.
It is time to move into the 21st century with your thinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.