Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Howard Pit Bull

7K views 106 replies 47 participants last post by  Chris Scoones 
#1 ·
I encountered a pit bull yesterday on one of the pulloffs along the Ben Howard road. He came out growling and barking, I just about crapped myself, but I tried to do my best dog whisperer on him and he backed down.

Has anyone ever seen this dog before? He had no collar. My encounter turned out ok, but it could have been bad. He jumped up on me a couple of times. The sheer power of this dog was amazing, I was almost knocked down. He was for the most part friendly after I fed him, but I felt he could have turned on me at any moment.

Just becareful out there and it wouldn't hurt to have a dog biscuit or two in the glove box.

P.S. No fish for me :(

#2 ·
The sheer power of this dog was amazing, I was almost knocked down. He was for the most part friendly after I fed him, but I felt he could have turned on me at any moment.

Just becareful out there and it wouldn't hurt to have a dog biscuit or two in the glove box.

P.S. No fish for me :(
Yes they are very powerful and can really jump, ours can dance on our two back legs, but ours would just be kissing you, my wife rescued her from a vacant house a year ago, great dog and very smart, and of course she loves treats. Any dog running free encountered can be dangerous I have found, for me dobermans and shepherds the worst.

:thumb:

#5 ·
Word up on the side arm. F*** the pit bulls. No offense to the owners who domesticated the shit out of theirs, but there some out there that just naturally want to rip your face off. Or some little kids.
b.

#8 ·
The topic started with a supposedly wild pit bull, jumping from the bushes and barking a fisherman walking down the road. It's not about you average back yard dog. And now I have no class, right!
Pitt bull have gotten a bad rap says the owners of one. But not so much from the victims.

#9 ·
My point was to just warn those of us who fish that area. I don't think I would choose to pack a sidearm. I'll just keep a careful watch and some dog biscuits. :thumb:

#10 ·
I didn't say blow away a dog for no reason, I have a dog, I am a "dog" person, but if an agressive/untrustworthy dog that has no owner present or identification visible( which was stated in the orginal thread Kerry) i would rather shoot the dog than be taken down by intense strength (which was also stated). It is also legal to carry a firearm if you are hunting or fishing....

#15 ·
Blow away a dog for no reason. Thats some classy shit.
You can tell who the dog folks are in this thread. I agree with Kerry.
Yea, but pitbulls suck... enough reason to put him out of his misery, as well as possibly save the next guy who comes along:thumb:

#16 ·
Take it out on the dog and the only one dumber than its owner is you. When carrying both a biscuit and a gun, I believe the biscuit is for the dog, the gun is for its owner. Otherwise it's like getting mad at my car (not me) for running you over. Of course I'm only referring to problem/nuisance dogs here. Sounds like BH pup is just being a dog.

Likewise, IMO, knowing the general perception regarding pit bulls, it's "less than responsible" for an owner to have it off lead in public...to say the very least.

BTW, Pit Bulls don't suck but many of their owners do.

#18 ·
Come on FF,

There are bad owners of boxers, Labs, bulldogs etc etc, But you don't see city wide bans or any other kind of widespread animosity toward any of those dogs. Pitbulls are definately a problem regardeless of the owner. I'm sure all the attacks that have made pitbulls famous are from bad owners....Yeah right.

#48 ·
A few years back I was walking from the Cracker Bar back to my parked truck and I encountered a pitt bull along the trail that goes under the bridge through the woods to the Skykomish. The pitt was chained to a tree about 50 feet from the road and looked pretty pissed, barking and growling when it saw me coming (it wasn't there when I arrived a few hours earlier). It was just about dark and I wasn't going near that thing so I bush wacked through the corn maze of trails until I found the road. When I arrived at the parking lot I saw another vehicle tucked near the blackberry bushes with it's dome light on (then quickly switched off as I came into view), inside were a couple of occupants. These were not fisherman, it was clearly some kind of drug related thing going on, so I threw my gear in the truck and got the hell out of there.

If you encounter an unattended pitt bull in the woods while fishing western Washington you should be worried, it generally means trouble (this is still meth country). I don't carry pistols when I fish, but in some areas (Sky, Stilly, Sauk, Skagit) I will carry pepper spray for man or beast. I've seen too many sketchy things out there not to be cautious and ready.

Regarding pitt bull owners, you are inviting financial disaster by owning that breed. Make sure you own a bunch of insurance in case your dog leaves your property.

#21 ·
Stigma is why they get all the news coverage. They dont cause the largest percentage of dog attacks. Its called fear and ignorance. I would be much more worried about a poodle or a chow. My pits were attacked twice by Aussie mixes. Must be the pits fault.

TFG hows the koolaid

#27 ·
Stigma is why they get all the news coverage. They dont cause the largest percentage of dog attacks. Its called fear and ignorance. I would be much more worried about a poodle or a chow. My pits were attacked twice by Aussie mixes. Must be the pits fault.

TFG hows the koolaid
Stigma? I think it's proof and evidence they are a problem.

Koolaid is ok. Crystal light is what I prefer and drink when fishing.

All those statistics show is that the dogs tend to do more damage. Pit Bull is a term used for a group of dog breeds. So comparing statistics with a German Sheppard, or another single breed is hardly accurate.
I don't think the people who compiled those stats lumped pitts in with boxers or rotts etc. The stats are the proof behind the pudding. They are very accurate. You can read some for yourself...

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html Scroll down to the Deadliest dogs.

http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog Bite Statistics/DogBiteStatistics.html

The breeds most often involved in fatal attacks are Rottweilers and Pit bulls.

In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

#22 ·
In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

I got the above info. by googling Pit bull statistics. It seemed in line with any of the other information even from seemingly pro-pit bull web pages. I will not let my children near them, ever. That's how I do it. You all can do as you want.

It seems to me that there are labs that won't fetch but then at the age of 6 or 7 will suddenly fetch something. It's bred into them. A pit bull may not attack for years but at the age of 6 or 7....
With their breeding and massive strength it doesn't seem worth it to me.

BTW- call in the dog next time.

Go Red Sox,

cds

#23 ·
There's more reason than the media reports for being especially concerned about encountering a PB sans handler. I just read the stats a few days ago, but can't remember the numbers. The conclusion is that even though Pit Bulls are a small % of the dogs reported for biting people, they are a very disproportionately high relative to their numbers. Something like 10 if not 20 times more likely to bite people and require medical attention. Just that bit of information is reason enough to be very cautious of an encounter with an unattended PB.

I like dogs, but I've come to realize that I really like dogs whose owners/handlers have actually bothered to train them and make them into animals that are a pleasure to be around. Dogs of practically every breed that have never learned anything, including their name, are more of a pain in the ass than those that are responsive to people.

Sg

#24 ·
So lets see here.I've been bit by a poodle,sheperd,basset hound,springer and chased by a pittbull(I was faster than my little brother)My point is it doesn't matter what kind of dog it is if they want to bite you they will.There animals for gods sake.It pisses me off that pitts are singled out.Look up and see what breed has bitten the most people you might be suprised.By the way it is not a pittbull.Oh I forgot to tell you the basset was my own dog.shes bit me twice now. I just don't sneak up behind her.My dog some times gets out of the yard I hope none of you dog killing assholes are around next time she does.

john

#29 ·
"The breeds most often involved in fatal attacks are Rottweilers and Pit bulls."

Hardly speaks to the frequency of pit attacks and comparison to other breeds

"In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks."

This only shows the dogs do more damage when they attack. What do they consider a pit bull?

In 37 years, 342 children were killed by dogs, an average of about nine children a year. Shockingly, approximately three children are killed each day, or 1,100 per year, by their parents. Delise notes that "A child in the United States is over 100 times more likely to be killed by his or her parent or caretaker than by a dog."

An unsupervised dog off leash anywhere is unacceptable. The breed is hardly the issue.

#31 ·
In 37 years, 342 children were killed by dogs, an average of about nine children a year. Shockingly, approximately three children are killed each day, or 1,100 per year, by their parents. Delise notes that "A child in the United States is over 100 times more likely to be killed by his or her parent or caretaker than by a dog."
yeah, it is much scarier when my dad walks up to me while i'm fishing than an untagged, unleashed pitbull:beathead: I agree that the owner has alot to do with it, but there is also a reason they get the bad wrap. There was also a reason Michael Vick was raising pitbulls over labs and poodles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.