Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Talking marine worms....

11K views 109 replies 41 participants last post by  Chester Allen 
#1 ·
I got a heartfelt PM from another member of this board yesterday-- no names named here -- with a plea to stop writing and talking about marine worms in Puget Sound.

The writer, who seems like a nice guy, was worried that too many people would find out about marine worms and pretty much ruin the fishing.

I wrote back -- and told him that the cat is pretty much out of the bag when it comes to marine worms. A lot of flies -- Woolly Buggers, Woolly Worms, Knudsen Spiders and so on -- make passable or even good marine worm imitations. I suspect a lot of us are imitating marine worms without knowing we're imitating marine worms. I rowed in that boat for a long time.

All this said, we all have different feelings about what to talk about on this board.

I won't share sea-run cutt spots on Puget Sound -- but it seems to me that talking about what fish feed on and what flies might work is one of the reasons this board exists -- and is so popular.

So, I'll talk about what the fish are eating -- or might be eating or what they could be eating next week -- and what flies I like.

I'll talk about the KIND of places cutts, rezzie coho and even piling perch or flounder -- hang out, but I won't give directions to a particular spot.

I'll read just about everything posted on this board, as this is THE PLACE to get good, up-to-date information on what is happening on Puget Sound. This board is a daily seminar on fly fishing Puget Sound, and it has grown to be very important to me.

Now, I'm going to be quiet and tie some more worm flies....

See less See more
#59 ·
Chester, thanks for the thread. I finally read it start to finish. Sorry to see Hooker go overboard on someone else (he was my nemesis when I first arrived here). Not sorry to see the banned or parked tag under his name. Thanks to those who freely share some information yet leave some to be earned. Thanks to those who have shared patterns, some similar to those in my box, but a few that I'll be tying and trying soon.

#65 ·
Here's where we are at

ok I'll host the swap

marine worm patterns

But we are all meeting face to face to trade flies
I was in on Mumbles face to face swap and it was great

whos in?
1 Kelvin
2 Matt Burke
3 John Hilt
4 Steve Saville
5 Ed Call
6 Ben Waldschmidt
7 Chester Allen

#73 ·
Whos in?
here's the list

I can expand it IF these 12 agree to tie more flies

We do have a month and a half fellas

I will set date time and locattion tomorrow

PM me if you have some great idea where to meet

I like the Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor
close to beaches to get some fishing in before hand
and there's a new fly shop in town I hear

1 Kelvin
2 Matt Burke
3 John Hilt
4 Steve Saville
5 Ed Call
6 Ben Waldschmidt
7 Chester Allen
8 Mathew Gulbranson
9 Rob Ast
10 Richard Torres
11 Eric Tarcha
12 Kerfwappie
13 Rockfish

#78 ·
i called a guy "son" once
turned out he was a vietnam vet
he got revenge by cock blocking me on a hottie in mexico
i want to join but im gone for 5 weeks soon
cant wait to look at the patterns
i once saw a bunch of migrating worms at penrose
wish i had something apropos

#79 ·
here are the players

get tying

we are meeting on July 17, 2009
Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor
6:00 pm

1 Kelvin
2 DimeBrite
3 John Hilt
4 Steve Saville
5 Ed Call
6 Ben Waldschmidt
7 Chester Allen
8 Mathew Gulbranson
9 Rob Ast
10 Richard Torres
11 Eric Tarcha
12 Kerfwappie
13 Rockfish
14 Sean K

come to the swap it will be a blast

#82 ·
So I was sitting at the vise the other night and came up with this worm pattern.
I used it on the lake across the street and caught a couple stockers.
I'm hoping to get out to the salt soon to see how it works.

tungsten head, polycord body, spun marabou collar. I tied a couple with a trailing hook and a couple on a long shank hook.

(sorry about the pic quality, but my camera broke so I had to use the cell phone)

#86 ·
:thumb: Now you're talking Kelvin :thumb:
I think that anyone who has not seen the shop should find a way to stop in since we will be so close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.