9 Rob Ast
10 Richard Torres
11 Eric Tarcha
12 Kerfwappie
13 Rockfish
14 Sean K
15 Banzai

#34 ·
Matt, I'll be tying extras and hope you are doing well. If you can make it I'd be happy to finally meet the man behind the fourth grade photo avatar.

#36 ·
You know. It's interesting. I'm doing the Pink Salmon swap and some of us were still using the "handles" instead of our real names. That's great. I think everyone should have a nickname but the swapmeister gets return address envelopes with real names on them. I'm having some difficulty deciding who I got flies from in some cases. I'm sure glad this one is a face to face. I'll be able put names, nicknames, and faces together.

#37 ·
Steve so thats why you outed me with my real name
there was a bully at browns point elementary that i am trying to avoid
i cant believe that you all are meeting in my hood and i will be gone
halibut and chips should be good

who is coming by boat?

there is tons of fry in the harbor right now

and yeah you all should descend on Blakes place like a plague and chill in front of his plasma
hell just bring your own beer and set up camp

#38 ·
Rotato, honest to God I am not sure what your real name is. I could figure it out if I went back and eliminated by name, the flies I got but I haven't been able to put names to handles on most people other than Mumbles and Kerfwappie and I got his mixed up for a time with another person with the same name. It a real bugger if you haven't been on for long orknow anyone for sure. I'll never tell.

#42 ·
used to hook alot of perch there
those glacier erratics at the south end by the the old "builtgood" barge held nice schools
havent fished there in too long
an old timer told me that cutties frequent those two creeks in the bay
lets hit it up next time im over there
and talk about worms
i will never forget getting bit by a huge pile worm there
it was a scene from "Dune"

#44 ·
ONE MORE SNUCK IN
Banzai
Thats it

get tying 14 flies
and one for yourself

We are meeting on Friday July 17, 2009
Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor
6:00 pm

1 Kelvin
2 DimeBrite
3 John Hilt
4 Steve Saville
5 Ed Call
6 Ben Waldschmidt
7 Chester Allen
8 Mathew Gulbranson
9 Rob Ast
10 Richard Torres
11 Eric Tarcha
12 Kerfwappie
13 Rockfish
14 Sean K
15 Banzai

#46 ·
This swap seems to be taking on a life of its own. I have to go get some more materials so I can keep up. I've tied only two so far and seem to be falling further behind all the time. It's all thanks to Chester's post. Remind me to thank you in person, Chester, when we meet up. I can't remember how big the Tides is. Do they have a banquet room? lol.

#50 ·
I spoke with a friend of a friend who works in the marine aquatics industry. She gave me some photos of common cold water worms and said that some fish may eat as much as 40% of their diets of worms when baitfish are scarse.

These two are my sessile (tube/feather worm) and motile (fire/bristle) worms:
Not sure the body material on the motile version will stay the same or if I will use some v-rib plastics

#52 ·
The bristle worm has a rust colored hackle feather tied in along the shank. I picked out a couple of fibers from each side as I wrapped the chenile body. That took a while going all the way up. Not sure if I'll tie one, the other, both or something else altogether. Is the color too light? Drab?

#53 ·
seems to me when digging claims alot of the Worms, scuds, sand feas ,and sand shrimp all have that drab green /olive geen color to them

I read alot of posts on here of Resident Coho being filled with olive green scuds
I can not say because I have never bonked one and cleaned it
I may next time I get one and it is legal to keep it just to see for myself

I would go with that color
most people seem to be tying worms in shades of red
so It might be nice to mix it up

while jigging for squid and herring at night I have often seen small orange worm looking things swimming along on the surface only to be smacked by what looked like nice sized salmon, sea runs, or steel head???

Not really sure what the creatures are????
shout it out if you know someone
but think a tube fly in orange with some foam on it would make a great imitation

they look exactly like the hackle fly you have tied

#54 ·
Kelvin, I got my bead heads glued to my tubes over the weekend and I'm gonna tie them on single tubes just like the photo. Thanks for the input, I hope they get someone's line stretched. It is really great to get messages from folks that have used one of my humble ties and caught fish.

#59 ·
Sean_K, how about some v-rib or other large body stuff? Stick some short rubber legs sprigs out between the sections and presto, marine "fire" or "bristle" worm.

Steve, I'd hit that too. It is like a super sized inverted chironmid wtih a big flashy maribou fan saying "here cuttie cuttie".

#61 ·
Okay, Chum Lunch. It isn't the one I was going to tie for the swap but I'll make up a bunch for you guys. I think I'll put a light coat of epoxy over the body for duability. I have a couple of other color combinations I'm going to experiment with, too. I'll post pictures when I get them finished.

#62 ·
Steve, I'll say again I think that fly is nice. As for being experimental...all flies are experimental in my opinion. One never knows for sure that any fly tied on will do anything but answer the question will they hit it or not? Sure some experimenters have such long history with their patterns (we all know and regard their typed words as gospel) but I think it is still a form of experimentation. Science, recreation, hobby, creativitity you can go on and on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.