Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Using a 9.9hp outboard in the sound/hood canal?

Boats 
1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Peter Pancho 
#1 ·
Been offered an excellent deal on a 9.9 new Honda outboard for my 14' aluminum boat. Will this suffice two adults in the Sound or Hood Canal for casual fly fishing within 1-300' from the beach? Or should I save my ducks and get a solid 15hp motor? My boat is max rated to 15hp.

Thanks for the valuable advice! :thumb:

...sorry posted in wrong section. If anyone knows how to move it, feel free!

#5 ·
It'll do you fine. My Dad used to troll around all the time with our old hilaker with a 9.9. Never had a problem.

#8 ·
if there is pretty big wind chop just take it safe and not go out. specially with your 14 footer we went out during lingcod season to blake island in my boat and it was pretty shady stuff! ha there was 4-5 foot wind chop and rain on top of the already rippin current that goes by blake island i was pretty scared but got back safe. just take it easy and keep your cool and use your head and it'll be all good

#9 ·
I have had two adults in my 12 ' duroboat with a 9.8 on hood canal many times, it should be plenty for you and you should be able to plane-out in no time.
No luck needed, go gett'm.
F.

#10 ·
You don't want to run that rig from GH over to Point Defiance in less than perfect weather and you'll need to be very careful in the Tacoma Narrows especially when the tide is running even in good weather. If you run across and it starts to blow, you'll be better off staying put than attempting to get back.

If you go over 10hp you have to register the boat and pay yearly fees.

I used a 12' car topper with a much smaller engine for years to fish off Alki, Point Defiance, and crab off Chuckanut and Samish Island, and it worked fine. You need to pick soft weather and stay close to shore.

The problem is there is a tendency to push the edge (maybe it's just me, but I doubt it) and it's also easy to overload a small boat. If you plan to navigate in the Tacoma Narrows use extreme caution. That is not the place for a small rig sometimes even close to shore. When the tide is running through that slot it is a fearsome force.

You are better off running a motor less than the maximum power rating for your boat staying well within the safe operating envelope, so the 9.9 should be a good fit.

#11 ·
You don't want to run that rig from GH over to Point Defiance in less than perfect weather and you'll need to be very careful in the Tacoma Narrows especially when the tide is running even in good weather. If you run across and it starts to blow, you'll be better off staying put than attempting to get back.

If you go over 10hp you have to register the boat and pay yearly fees.

I used a 12' car topper with a much smaller engine for years to fish off Alki, Point Defiance, and crab off Chuckanut and Samish Island, and it worked fine. You need to pick soft weather and stay close to shore.

The problem is there is a tendency to push the edge (maybe it's just me, but I doubt it) and it's also easy to overload a small boat. If you plan to navigate in the Tacoma Narrows use extreme caution. That is not the place for a small rig sometimes even close to shore. When the tide is running through that slot it is a fearsome force.

You are better off running a motor less than the maximum power rating for your boat staying well within the safe operating envelope, so the 9.9 should be a good fit.
Solid advice.

#12 ·
Keep in mind that the Honda will be considerably heavier than a comprably 2 stroke of the same power. I don't know if I'd put a larger one on due to the even heavier weight and or stress on the transom. Just pick your days wisely, wear PFD's, and most of all, have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.