Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best way to carry a pistol wile hiking

8K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Thomas@Seattle 
#1 ·
i got a glock g20sf to take with me when i head up hiking ( way out in the woods, there's no point to taking it on busy hiking trails ). but i cant seem to figure out the best way to carry it in someplace accessible with a heavy backpack on because of the straps. anyone got any ideas or specific products that would work? thanks for any ideas that will help.

#4 ·
i always have a knife and bear spray i just want to have the pistol with me in case a bear comes after me or my dog and wont back down after getting yelled at or maced.

i was looking at leg holsters but i was thinking of something more subtle. i found some fanny pack ones but that would be annoying with the waist belt of a backpack. i was thinking of some kinda pouch type thing i could attach to a strap on my backpack. has anyone seen something like that?

#5 ·
I carry a 1911 and have a galco holster called a Yak. It is a inside the belt holster, very simple secure and comfortable to sit down with. I also have a molded belt cc holster made by high noon with a tension screw. It's not a hastle while carrying a pack It might be an issue if you take a full load pack with the wast band in which case you can strap it to the pack. Both holsters conceal and carry very well. Good luck! Get a CC permit, it freaks people out less.

#8 ·
One of the easiest carry options I have used is simply a shoulder holster, and a concealed permit. It does not get in the way of straps, doens't excite other people in the area, and still provides reasonable access. Truthfully I prefer not to carry at all. A bear, or tweaker that doesn't react to bear spray is usually because of operator error. I taught my girlfriend how to use it effectively by also buying a can of inert pepper spray and letting her practice her shots. She got good enough with it, that I made sure to call and tell her when I was coming home late. Even secondary exposure to the spray will have an effect, and ideally give you a second chance at a direct exposure. Contact the company and get the details on what type of delivery the product performs. Each has its pro's and cons.

#9 ·
http://www.gmstactical.com/blackhawk2.html I formerly used one of these types on one of my packs, it mounted to the waist belt and allowed comfortable carry and easy access.
http://www.gmstactical.com/spge316motah.html I have used one of these on a variety of vest and pack options.

If your not finding what you like that also fits your backpack, find a holster you like that can be customized to fit the pack or packs that you carry, that is if you really feel the need to have such a tool along for your protection. Best to you and your four legged friend.

#10 ·
Could follow the first guy's advice and put a rainbow or celebrate diversity bumper sticker and patchouli oil on your back pack to keep you safe.

I always carry mine back packing when hunting ( archery) and camping. I use a simple nylon fanny pack from REI and sew in two velcro straps inside to secure my revolver. Works for me and I carry above my waist cinch belt for back pack. Comfortable and easy to use and to access.

Regarding bear spray. Good friend of mine and his grlfriend were killed in CA about 10 years ago while back packing in N CA. They were found in the botton of a small canyon a week after reported missing with two bullet holes in the back of their skulsl. Most likely stumbled on a pot grow. Every year people, men and women , are killed in the back country. Prefer to have protection, especially when have family members with me. Spray will only piss-off someone who is tweeking, intent on doing you harm. In addition, WT deer hunting in N ID last Nov. Had a pack of big wolves that followed me while still hunting a few miles off of the roads. One came within 20 ft and was aggressive. Yelled, threw sticks, no reaction. I ended up firing a few warning shots and they ran off a short ways but followed me back to my vehicle for over a mile. Have seen my fair share of bears and moutain lions while hiking and camping over the years to include grizzlies. Was never overly concerned. These wolves really made me nervous.

Prefer a firearm over spray in these situations.

#14 ·
I'm a big fan of shoulder rigs & tactical thigh holsters. Whatever you decide on, make sure it's readily accessible & practice drawing from it. Undesirable encounters aren't scheduled & threats, whether from man or beast don't wait for you to get ready.

#15 ·
I'd also recommend the BlackHawk Serpa, it is a very safe holster but not as good for concealable carry. During the Winter I carry my .45 in a Serpa for most day to day stuff. During the summer I carry a 9mm in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC holster CompTac Minotaur MTAC which is extremely concealable you can tuck your shirt in around it and it seemingly disappears. Or I just stick a snub nose .357 Magnum in my pocket.

The police are under no legal obligation to protect or save us. I'd much rather have the option of at least defending myself than roll over and let bad people harm me without a chance to fight back. Two winters ago a father and son came across a man snowshoeing in the woods near where I live, they beat him until they thought they had killed him left him for dead for the possessions in his pockets. It DOES happen and it CAN happen to any of us. As Col. Cooper said, "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

#16 ·
OK, OK ..... I've got to ask the obvious question as I'm a 'crochitie mood'...... where the hell are you hiking you think you need to be armed to the teeth? Hiking/camping in vacant lots in East LA, Detroit, parts of Washington DC I could understand (tongue in cheek here .. well, maybe not) but the 'where' still makes me wonder.
fae

#31 ·
Any place during Salmon season. For some unknown reason, Salmon seem to bring out the worst in people. Keep in mind, concealed carry does not imply one is looking for trouble. Only being prepared. Having said that, there ain't no fish, or fishing hole worthy of a gunfight. But, when it comes down to druggies, I would rather put my faith in fire power over pepper spray.

#17 ·
The fella with the crazy moniker posts what I imagine is some pretty good information for the guy who started this thread. It doesn't interest me, so I didn't read the whole bit. I'm just wondering if he has anything at all to say about Washington Fly fishing. His two posts to date are on some fairly strange subject matter.

Just sayin'

#19 ·
ok I'll break it down more, 1st paragraph was for the Original Poster, the second was for the people who feel that there is never a reason to carry a gun. If the person I mention had one he could have defended himself more effectively from the people he tried to help who beat him and left him for dead in the snow. Oh yeah and for Freda, it happened on the Washougal river about 35-40 miles from Portland OR. We also have a big problem with drug labs in the hills around here and when driving my Land Cruiser on the logging roads it is very common to find stolen and burned/abandoned vehicles. Fly fishing is not my primary hobby so I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said better in those forums, but I do have information of benefit in this one so I contributed here. You guys sure have a way of making a new guy feel welcome around here... :hmmm: but that goes with being the new guy I suppose

#20 ·
Interesting thought, but just one?

"Oh yeah and for Freda, it happened on the Washougal river about 35-40 miles from Portland OR. We also have a big problem with drug labs in the hills around here and when driving my Land Cruiser on the logging roads it is very common to find stolen and burned/abandoned vehicles. "

Might the fellow noted above 'be part of the problem?' There is such a problem potential in many areas (off river) if you're 'wandering the hills' above the Klamath river in Nor Cal. It is a good idea to stick to the river; do that and the probability of being bothered is close to zero. Wander around the hills looking for 'weed,' you could be in big trouble ... but you have to go look for it. (This area is the 'Mary Jane' growing capital of California.)

Driving though the hills to access the river (Happy Camp and down) with rods on your car you won't get a second look. These people do not want to draw attention to themselves.

And by your use of the word 'it' I assume this was a single incident. And thanks for the use of the word "Freda,'' only the guys on 'my' UK based boards call me that ... or did to date. Post on Boards across the Pond?

fae

#21 ·
Sorry about calling you Freda, my grandpa was an Evans so I guess the Freda just subconsciously stuck out as seperate. Fred instead? fae?

The thing about the incident I'm referencing ( http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_8100/is_20090211/ai_n51360133/?tag=rel.res1 ) is that the guy was just cross country skiing down a road near a campground, and this father and son beat him and then strangled him leaving in his SUV thinking they had killed him. He was on a public road. He would have died if a couple more people wouldn't have found him. He easily could have been a fisherman on some other road/river. Sadly we don't have to go looking for dangerous situations, sometimes they come for us and each person decides for themselves whether they will be ready to fight back even if you die trying or just hope it never happens.

#22 ·
Not to worry about the 'Freda, ' no harm, no foul.
:>)

Actually there's a very famous British Actress by the name of Freda Evans, which is why I used to get the 'ribbing.' Personally, couldn't figure out why the fellows thought that to be funny. But their humor is a bit different than ours. Actually had a case - some years back - where I had to PM the fellow who posted a joke that went right over my head, but the follow up posts were: "Classic," Excellent, etc." Had to ask him to 'explain it to me.' Turns out it was an 'inside joke' for the UK. Over here? Who knew?

But this was a great addition to your last post and how true!

"Sadly we don't have to go looking for dangerous situations, sometimes they come for us and each person decides for themselves whether they will be ready to fight back even if you die trying or just hope it never happens." Guess this where the saying: "Shit Happens" originated?

fae

Should have added that on all boards I post as fredaevans, here or there.

#23 ·
i lived in alaska for 6 yrs...had my first dream the other night...wonder when the next one will hit me? ; ) most people who have done their research end up with the shoulder holster. it's quick, fast and u can take down any no good who tries to mess with you. carry that weapon with you. no day is safe when our obsurd politictions don't know how to say no. your safer in the woods. i use bear spray. im not a greenie in any way but I always felt when i was on the river fishing, that bears come with the territory. I don't like like the idea of shooting bears but in my 6 yrs up there, every year terrible mis guided bear killings happen from ignorant people who are trigger happy. Bears don't want a confrontation any more than we do.

most of the time a bear charge is a bluff. But then if you come across a bear and her cub unexpectedly, serious escalation can occur. i still wouldn't shoot a bear even if it knocked me down and i was alive because a bear can kill you at any time if it wanted. Bear spray is all i ever wanted to carry on me. i'm not afraid to die. Of course there are people who would disagree but in the alaska state fish & game website and fishing regulations concerning bears, it's a no brainer when it comes to how we are to react. Some people don't care to appreciate the balance we have with wild animals and will shoot no matter what. those are very disturbing news events especially when witnessed by others. A sow is killed, then the cubs in so many cases are put down as well because not enough room in the US for bears at parks, or zoo's.

hands down, i will waste a no good human thug coming at me than a bear trying to protect her cubs. Enjoy the great wilderness

#24 ·
HTML:
where the hell are you hiking you think you need to be armed to the teeth?
Depending on the activity, I "carry" lots of things I hope I never have to use . . . health insurance, fire insurance, extinguishers, spare tires, first-aid kits, tools, survival gear, medical ID, etc. I also carry a legal means to protect myself if conditions arise that warrant such measures. As for your question, I am unaware of ANY locale that is guaranteed free from threats of bodily harm from creatures or people and when I'm in the outdoors (or anywhere else for that matter), my first line of defense is me. My personal goal is to never be a defenseless or helpless victim. As I posted earlier, innocent folks/potential victims don't arrange or schedule life-jeopardizing events, and these scenarios can occur anywhere. I'll continue to trust in the "Be Prepared" Boy Scout motto and will also continue to exercise the right granted us via the Second Amendment (plus, I practice to remain proficient; no value in carrying a tool if you don't know how to use it.). It's all about choices, but "I wish I had . . . " won't buy any help when one is confronted by a perilous situation. As the old Sheriff once responded when asked if he was carrying his handgun because he was expecting trouble: "If I were expecting trouble, I'd be carrying my rifle."

#25 ·
Pistol should be carried where it’s easy to get to but is not visible to others. As a gun carrying person it’s your responsibility to carry in a way that does not make others feel uneasy so carrying it hidden is very important. Course practice is also a must or do not bother to carry.
I have been very surprised over the years at the types of people that carry every day including many old ladies who are quite skilled in their means of protection. Sit at a gun club and see just who comes through and what they are shooting some time to see what I mean. Funny part is outside of the gun range you would never expect the people who carry to be carrying.
For those who do not carry keep in mind a gun is not just for protection but it is a great way to signal for help as well. A gun also can also be used as a noise to scare an animal away or could be used on a small creature that has bitten you to be able to take it in for rabies check. Course I pray that no person who chooses to carry ever has to use their gun but every month many do.

Where you carry a gun is going to depend on a lot of things including the size of the gun, the clothing you are wearing, you own body build and what else you are carrying with you. I feel myself for my body size some styles of guns are just not good carry pieces for me. I have also found that you need different ways to carry a gun based on what you are wearing and sometimes the gun must be of small size such as a little 380 or my personal love the little snub nose 38. The 38 special still sells in large numbers for a reason. Just try to carry that 1911 with shorts and a tee shirt without it being visible, good luck. There are many ways to carry including pocket holsters, belly bands, clips, holsters for belt for both inside and outside the pants, shoulder holsters, waist packs, and even purse holsters for the ladies. Most likely you will need 2 or 3 holsters to cover all the bases.
One thing to think about is if the Glock gun you say you have is the one I am thinking about it’s a 10MM gun with a barrel length of over 4”. While I never held one it seems to me that this is a lot of gun to keep concealed and this makes the job of keeping it so difficult. You might consider using the excuse to buy another gun that a little easier to keep hidden and switch back and forth between the two guns based on what you are wearing that day and where you will need to carry it. That’s your choice of course and could be that great excuse to buy another gun.

#26 ·
HTML:
As a gun carrying person it's your responsibility to carry in a way that does not make others feel uneasy so carrying it hidden is very important.
Makes it sound as if carrying a handgun openly in a right-to-carry state is wrong . . .

While I carry concealed around town (to avoid potential confrontation/explanations to the uninformed . . . for MY convenience, not the convenience of others), when I'm in the boonies or around my property I often carry openly, which makes my tool of choice much more readily available, if needed.

From RCW 9.41.050 - "Carrying firearms": "Washington is an open carry state for firearms . . . In this law, mere possession of an openly-carried handgun in an exposed holster, for instance, is legal except where it is specifically illegalized. . . . because open carry in Washington is presumptively legal, articulation of malicious intent must include something beyond mere open possession."

That being said, I carry a copy of this RCW with me at all times, in the event ill-informed LE or concerned citizens voice a concern. Other than those rights granted by the Second Amendment and the laws of the State of Washington, I DON'T need the approval or permission from other citizens to carry a firearm in the legal manner of my choosing. I DO have the responsibility to use every firearm in a safe & prudent manner, however. There is a heavy responsibility that comes with carrying any firearm, but it isn't that of not offending others who may not be so inclined.

#35 ·
From RCW 9.41.050 - "Carrying firearms": "Washington is an open carry state for firearms . . . In this law, mere possession of an openly-carried handgun in an exposed holster, for instance, is legal except where it is specifically illegalized. . . . because open carry in Washington is presumptively legal, articulation of malicious intent must include something beyond mere open possession."

That being said, I carry a copy of this RCW with me at all times, in the event ill-informed LE or concerned citizens voice a concern. Other than those rights granted by the Second Amendment and the laws of the State of Washington, I DON'T need the approval or permission from other citizens to carry a firearm in the legal manner of my choosing. I DO have the responsibility to use every firearm in a safe & prudent manner, however. There is a heavy responsibility that comes with carrying any firearm, but it isn't that of not offending others who may not be so inclined.

You might add a copy of section 8 of RCW 9.41.060 which states that if you have a fishing license and are either fishing or traveling to or from fishing you do not need a Concealed Pistol License to carry a concealed handgun.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
The Washington state constitution says in part:
SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired,
This is especially so for the unfounded fears of someone who attempts to demand you appease their phobia but does not have the right to impair your ability to defend yourself.

#27 ·
Back to the original purpose of this post. I would simply shove my handgun in to the crotch of my pants. Many advantages: Easy access to the weapon, looks gangster so no one will want to mess with you anyways and makes your package look bigger (if u need help in that area). However you must make sure the safety is on so you don't lose a testicle or end up shooting yourself in the leg like Plaxico Burress.

-Connor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.