Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

6wt spey rod for summer run

Spey 
3K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  gone johnson 
#1 ·
I already have a 8 wt for winter run & salmon, would a 6 wt be sufficient for summer run?

#6 ·
Empty Creel,

A 6 wt Spey is just fine for summer steelhead fishing. I routinely use a CND 5/6 wt for summer fishing on the Cowlitz in places where really long casts aren't necessary. I'm not sure I understand Keith's comment about the reel quality and drag are a bigger concern. Most of my Spey rods are paired with Hardy reels equiped with spring and pawl drags, which is more than sufficient for my needs.

Sg

#10 ·
Meiser 4/5/6 12'6" with a 390 compact scandi or an SGS head, mmmm mmmm.

you know what's an underrated rod? TFO Pro 12'6" for six, it'll cast a 6/7 or 7/8 AFS, 450 skagit, or a shortbelly very nicely, and has pretty nice grips. Very versatile/fishable.

#11 ·
I use a TFO Pro 12'6" 6wt for smallmouth, summer run Steelhead and fall Coho, never had a problem with anything as of yet, great little rod, easy to throw and I'll be using it this coming weekend on the Cowlitz and maybe the Klickitat on the way home. 450gr at 27' with 8' Z-11, cast with ease, a fun rod to use.

#12 ·
The 12-foot, 4-section, medium action 5/6 rod by Angler's Roost Enterprises is a good rod with a growing reputation, and an incredible bargain at $89.95. Google ARE, or find them daily on eBay.

#15 ·
I own 3 six weights ... My current passion is a Loop Goran Anderson 12ft 6 wt with an airflo compact scandi 360grain head, 10 foot poly leader, and SA mono shooting running line. WOW .... can't think of anything better than this I've cast and fished.
Although next time I can free up some river time I have a Nextcast FF 45 5/6 I want to switch out the Airflo line for ... I bet it rocks ...

Steve Egge

#22 ·
I own 3 six weights ... My current passion is a Loop Goran Anderson 12ft 6 wt with an airflo compact scandi 360grain head, 10 foot poly leader, and SA mono shooting running line. WOW .... can't think of anything better than this I've cast and fished.
Although next time I can free up some river time I have a Nextcast FF 45 5/6 I want to switch out the Airflo line for ... I bet it rocks ...

Steve Egge
360 grains is way to much. Try a 300 grain scandi at 36 feet.
That is what it was designed for.

#16 ·
that Loop G.A.S.S. 6wt is an incredible stick Steve, not many of them around...

one of my favorite summer sticks of all time for small-medium water is a t&t 12' 6wt paired with a 420 compact scandi or ballistic express and a 14' leader. more than up for the task.

both of these are going to be on the "crispier" side of the 6wt arena...

#21 ·
My favorite spey rod so far Scott T2H 6wt. Its a fuckin cannon w/450 Skagit. A little slower action but once you get the feel you have so much fun you forget you are fishing. Lost Creek Fly Shop will let you demo out of Onalaska. A 6wt will handle anything its just a matter of keepin the fish from gettin so tired they die. So no winter OP fishin for natives of you will get your ass spanked and so will the fish's survival percentage.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.