Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Seattle Kman is DOA?

10K views 75 replies 40 participants last post by  Lugan 
#1 ·
Happened to be in downtown Seattle over the Turkey-day holiday weekend and on a whim dropped into Kaufmann's Fly shop downtown. What a drag, guy behind counter seemed very pissed off when I inquired about the lack of stock on shelves or flies in bins. He made it clear they were closing the doors soon. Seems like another fly shop is near death. I had hoped to go in a pick up a few supplies and talk fishing holes, but instead it felt like a visit to a morgue. I know there are other alternatives out there (thank goodness), but it sure was sad to see what seems to be another casualty of the bad economy. Bottom line is we need to support our local shops (as much as possible) if we want them to keep from going extinct!

#2 ·
If true, that's too bad. I like that shop and the guys who work there but unfortunately I'm not a guy who has much influence on their bottom line. I pick up this and that for time to time but I don't need too much stuff these days.

#3 ·
It was sad when they closed the Bellevue store. Times are hard. Looks like a lot of the standby
shops are struggling. But then again, fly fishing is a recreation industry and they are usually the first to suffer in hard times. Your point about support is well stated. One can only hope that the business climate in Oregon is friendlier.

Last I had heard was Lance had bought Randall out and was running the shop, but I could be
wrong about that.

#5 ·
While it is too bad, I wouldn't shop there because it was so inconvenient. Drive around, find a parking spot, pay for the parking spot - no thanks from this guy. Plus, I want to try and help McGinn and his quest to keep cars out of Seattle.

There are plenty of other shops that I frequent in my travels around the state.

MB

#7 ·
It truly is. When I picked a flyrod back up again in 1998 after a 25-year hiatus, Kaufmann's in Bellevue became almost a second home for me as I re-equipped for both fishing and flytying. Many of the crew there were like old friends: Dennis Worley, Sparky, Brian, Bob, even Leland during his brief tenure at that store. It's still a bit sad when I drive past their old location and think about how convenient they were. The downtown Seattle store was a LOT less convenient, but they were really great about taking phone orders and sending my purchases out by mail.

Sigh.

K

#8 ·
I really like the Seattle Kman, Bob and Don were particularly helpful. Greg taught me the basics of tying in a class (the class consisted of just me so it turned out to be the best one-on-one instruction I ever received!). But, as MB said, it wasn't very convenient. Parking was actually not that bad if you went in the garage right next door, but expensive. If I needed a "major" purchase (rod, reel, flyline, etc...) I would go there. If it was just a bag of hooks or a pack of tying materials, there are much easier places to get to. Unfortunately, I have not had a major purchase in some time so I have not been there in awhile. It is a shame to see this happening. I might go down there today and buy something.

Reminds me too... I don't think, I've seen a catalog from them in awhile either. It was my favorite, especially for browsing patterns and trying to imitate them. Anyone else seen a catalog?

#9 ·
... I don't think, I've seen a catalog from them in awhile either. It was my favorite, especially for browsing patterns and trying to imitate them. Anyone else seen a catalog?
The Kaufmann's catalog was required toilet reading whenever I need to be there more than a minute or two. Sit down, pick up the catalog, open to any page and start reading. While I still reach for reading material, the Cabelas, Orvis, Fly Shop and Feather Craft catalogs just don't seem to deliver the same satisfaction as the old Kaufmann's ones. I still have one or two at the bottom of my reading material stack I think . . .

Last time I was in Seattle, Kevin told me that they'd decided to stop producing the catalog due to the high production and mailing costs and concentrate on web sales instead.

Sigh again.

K

#10 ·
This is what happens when people decide to shop online for deals instead of supporting their local shops! If you want to continue to have these places around, its imperative you support them. Want something they don't have? Ask the shop to order it for you. Otherwise they are all going to go the way of the dodo sooner than later. You cant walk into an online store and shoot the breeze, try out equipment, or thumb through new tying materials. You can't check the quality of the materials you are buying either.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BUSINESSES!

#12 ·
Stilly: True yes but local folks need to be online as well (like most are). The internet provides a niche for the local shops like shooting the breeze, etc. For example, it might be cheaper to buy online but it is great to buy local, hold the stuff you want to buy, ask questions, perhaps try it on, etc.

And I am one of those people that wants it now and hate waiting for the mail to come.

#14 ·
. . . For example, it might be cheaper to buy online but it is great to buy local, hold the stuff you want to buy, ask questions, perhaps try it on, etc.

And I am one of those people that wants it now and hate waiting for the mail to come.
You raise a couple of interesting points. First, a disclaimer: I've got all the gear I need or want and I'm not gonna be in the market for much these days other than replacing consumables like leaders, tippet, hooks, floatant, etc.

Nonetheless, I'm with you about being touchie-feelie when it comes to supplies and materials. I want to be able to see what color that dubbing is with my own eyes instead of rely on a catalog or web site's description. As a result, I rarely buy tying materials online.

But the larger issue you raise is the notion that one can find cheaper prices online than in a shop. In my experience, that's simply not true. Nearly all the gear manufacturers sell to both brick and mortar shops and web stores with signed MSRP agreements in place. As a result, the only time you're gonna find a Sage rod, Simms waders, a Rio line or a Ross reel anywhere that's cheaper than MSRP is when the manufacturers themselves decide to blow out their existing supply before introducing a newer model.

But that's just my experience. Perhaps you or someone else can post a link to a name-brand product online that's being offered for less than MSRP (closeouts and discontinued products don't count)?

Thanks in advance,

K

#22 ·
First, a disclaimer: I've got all the gear I need or want and I'm not gonna be in the market for much these days other than replacing consumables like leaders, tippet, hooks, floatant, etc K
Come on Kent, unless your wife is reading your posts you don't have to BS us.:rofl:

I'm with you on the need to actually see and feel stuff. Especially tying material. It's tougher being a long way from any shops though. I have found many shops will take a phone order and mail you things. If it's something you don't need to match color or size to it's pretty handy and still pretty fast.

#13 ·
Im just a really big supporter of keeping my money local. The people at avid angler, the swallows nest, and creekside have tought me so much, its rediculous. I remember fondly going into the swallows nest to BS with Les Johnson, and learned more about fishing from him than maybe anyone else. Likewise when Mike Kinney was at creekside in Issiquah, I wouldnt have the success I do on the river today if it wertent for their patient tutilage over all the years. I feel like it would be pretty dirty of me to go in, pick their brains, occupy their time, get great info, and then spend my money online elsewhere. Since I work in the retail environment now when not in school, I can tell you first hand how shitty it is to have people come in, waste hours of your time when you could be doing something else, and then flat out tell you they are just going to order the same product online. IT SUCKS!!

#15 ·
Wow, this is a bummer. I have nothing but fond memories of my brief stint at both Kaufmann's shops. I interviewed with Randall and worked with Dennis, Sparkey aka Ryan, Blair, Gary, Don, Kevin, Greg, and Bob, as well as Lance and Randy down in Tigard.

There is a long and storied history of the Kaufmann brothers from Mammoth Lakes, CA to Umpqua Feather Merchants to the present once told to me by Jack Moore at Fish Hunter. It was like the biblical "begats." I believe that at one time, anyone who is anybody in PNW flyfishing worked for the Kaufmanns. Their presence will be missed.

#19 ·
While I agree with the "shop local" bit, the fact is, a lot of us have no "local." When that is the case, we're forced to rely on catalogs and websites, and sometimes phone calls. The Kaufmann catalog has really slipped in recent times, at least in my opinion. And like many fly shop web sites, theirs wasn't anything to write home about. It's not that I want to see local business go away, but some of the onus is also on them.

#21 ·
I bought my first Sage from them probably 16 years ago. Blair was a great help in picking out the right rod for the tyoe of fishing I was looking to do. Parking was a bugger, but at the time I worked downtown and it was easy to just walk over there after work. Haven't been there in awhile, but it is sad to hear.

#26 ·
I'm not surprised. I stopped at the downtown store in September before a trip to Alaska and their inventory was low then. The place looked like a lot of businesses the last few years, just hanging on.

Support our local fly shops. I did some Xmas shopping for my sons yesterday at Orvis and today up at Avid Angler. Both great stores.

#28 ·
this thread reads like an obit that hasn't been finished. it will be interesting to see what happens.
regardless of the outcome, i sure hope they show more class than they did with the bellevue closing.
they ought to get a keg and do it right! and take advantage of the shop and the opportunity to connect with people in a meaningful way.
doing that is tough in the face of laying off employees, but all of us are still going to be around and if they go 100% online, then they still need us.

#30 ·
I think that with the presence of the internet, it really makes the need for the local guys to step it up a bit with better customer service and also more of a presence on the internet. What I like, from a business owners perspective, is that our website offers a passive income with no real work per say. But I love talking with and helping customers too. I think if the website is done well, there to educate people, changed often, etc... it will do well.

just my opinion.

G
#40 ·
I think that with the presence of the internet, it really makes the need for the local guys to step it up a bit with better customer service and also more of a presence on the internet. What I like, from a business owners perspective, is that our website offers a passive income with no real work per say. But I love talking with and helping customers too. I think if the website is done well, there to educate people, changed often, etc... it will do well.

just my opinion.
I'm going to a fly swap at all ALL ABOUT THE FLY this saturday & I've enjoyed Lelands hospitality at OVRIS. Show me a web site that provides a place for these types of venues. Plus puts up with my excentric demands for unusual products at a reasonable price. BUY LOCAL, SUPPORT YOUR COMMUNITY

#31 ·
I was told that news a few months ago. I have always thought that location was really hard to get to and find parking.
It is sad to see such an icon go. I have bought lots of things from them over the years. They were always great to deal with.
Lets just hope that this is just more worthless internet gossip.

#32 ·
The end of an era no doubt. When the bellevue store closed it gave me a sick feeling, I knew there was serious trouble, I've seen it before.
There's nothing good about this in my opinion.
Relationships have a geographical connection...remember the house you grew up in? We fished together, laughed together, camped together, conducted business with mutual respect, and each did their part to enrich the lives of the other. When a business dies it isn't about dollars and cents. It's a loss... a loss of community, a loss of opportunity. Puget Sound flyfishing is not the better for it.
"Strengthen what remains" is the call. Let not our retail brethren become endangered.

#33 ·
Just to throw a little gasoline on the fire, I have noticed that some of the web sites for fly shops no longer have a "catalog" on line. I just noticed this a few months ago. I don't plan to make any really big purchase after forty years of collecting, but I do need a new float tube. So without a paper catalog or a web catalog, I guess you need to go touch and feel before you buy. Kind of like getting married.

Like was stated earlier, it is good to see and feel what you are buying. But it was nice to shop for what you wanted before you drive in to the shop. I guess I usually buy more than I planned anyway.My good wishes for the shops in this tough time.

#36 ·
Wow. KMAN retail stores closing, their mail order catalogue was the place for me, bought my steelhead fly tying kit from them in 1980 when I started tying, then bought most of my fly tyng supplies from them for years from their catalogues. Not bought from them in a while, I was just out on their web site looking at their products too.

I am sure I have some of their catalogues in my FF closet. Have not received a catalogue in a couple of years from them. Makes sense though these days to do away with the paper catalogue and go net only.

Local Cabelas tells me there fly fishing section is doing very well with retail sales and new fly fishers tying and buying equipment. Not me though, I have so many tying supplies its sick, 15 fly rods, one to three used each year.

HE

#37 ·
Hello,

My name is Jakob Lund. I am the manager of Kaufmann Streamborn.
I was made aware of this thread from several sources.

Let me put the rumor to rest. Kaufmann Streamborn are not closing down! We have no intention of doing such! Zero!

We appreciate all of our customers and will continue to serve them today, tomorrow and in the future. As stated by many posters, and I can stress this enough, please support your local shop, that being Kaufmann's or someone else.

Sincerely,

Jakob Lund

#41 ·
Hello,

My name is Jakob Lund. I am the manager of Kaufmann Streamborn.
I was made aware of this thread from several sources.

Let me put the rumor to rest. Kaufmann Streamborn are not closing down! We have no intention of doing such! Zero!
Hi Jakob,

I for one consider this to be great news and hope for all the best. Folks at both the Tigard and Bellevue stores helped me out a lot over the years. This was my first time I have made it over to the Seattle store.

I am curious though why I was told by the person working the counter that no new stock would be coming in anytime soon and that he expected to doors to close shortly. Maybe he was misinformed? What I saw were hardly any flies in the bins and next to nothing for tying supplies with lots of empty space on the walls. I would think that this time of the year would be prime time. However, when I walked into the Seattle store fully expecting to drop a couple hundred bucks and came out with only one bag of Kman dubbing, that tells me something too. Maybe you have a disgruntled employee, but the lack of stock on the shelves seems like a pretty major indicator....I certainly walked out pretty saddened by what I saw after making the trek downtown with a long list of tying supplies. Can you speak to that?

Again, perhaps this is just speed bump and you guys get things turned around. All the best,

--SW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.